Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chchchanges

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yeah I started supporting Brighton this season. My bad.
Actually I heard when RDZ was 8 ItaliaSport was showing our home game against Blackpool and he watched it through someone's window. He reminds the players that after watching that 3-1 defeat all our performances are great.
He has a point though, we haven't been dreadful at all. We've been below our immensely high standards at times, sure, but there is a hell of a long way from there to 'dreadful'

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It would be absolutely mind blowing if making changes in a multiple of three actually had a demonstrably favourable outcome.

Across a much larger sample size obviously.
Lets test it from here in out. So far there is just a correlation from which we make a hypothesis, if it continues we may be able to prove causation. Which would indeed be cool.

Statisticians in the 1970's noted that 75% of children fathered by Israeli air fighter pilots over the previous decade were girls. This caused eyebrows to be raised and a lot of time was spent pondering why. Over the next decade the proportion of girls fathered by Israeli air fighter pilots was precisely 50%. Funny that. Almost as if this deviation from the mean had caused them to look at fighter pilots children in the first place, and not those of, say, dustbin men.

Don't know why I've remembered that little story, told to me in maths class many moons ago, but I've always liked it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It should be ch-ch-ch-changes.
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, no?

This season was always going to be a balancing act - and it's only really just started. There's a long way to go with probably plenty of ups and downs.

Changes or not, I'm sticking to my usual (boring) 'one game at a time' approach and enjoying the ride. and following the tracker, obvs.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The problem with playing a stable team is that obviously, players tire and get injured, but also other managers get a very clear idea of formations and players, and therefore set up accordingly.
A bit of rotation helps in that it keeps players fresher and keeps other managers guessing a bit more.
Plus having a player like Mitoma come on in a second half, when opposition players start to tire, gives us an advantage. (Bournemouth game)
City do it all the time. Haaland didn’t play at all in their cup game, even when they were trailing to Newcastle.
It’s management of resources, minimising injuries, and getting the best out of players.
For example, I fully expect Ferguson to start on Saturday and be raring to go.
It’s a long season and the teams with the biggest squads usually see that advantage in the second half of the season.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
6 changes for United
7 for AEK
9 for Bournemouth
7 for Chelsea

Last season, a clear strength was the partnerships we had. Mac and Caicedo and Estupinan and Mitoma were notable examples and the latter were reunited to devastating affect at half time on Sunday.

This season we have goalkeepers in rotation and the longest run of games any centre back pairing has had is two.

Is it affecting our performances and if so, what’s the alternative?
I think the alternative is not making so many changes.

Or making even more changes.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I think he has got it spot on. Being in Europe means he needs to get the best part of two teams out of the squad. It was a close game against Chelsea, with a lot of new lads getting valuable game time. Great opportunity for RDZ to bring on new talent. IMHO the league cup has served it's purpose as a non-priority comp. :shrug:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He has a point though, we haven't been dreadful at all. We've been below our immensely high standards at times, sure, but there is a hell of a long way from there to 'dreadful'
Some of our fans now expect us to play like Man City in every game. The sense of entitlement from some of our supporter base is absolutely astonishing given where we have come from. They don't know the meaning of the word 'dreadful'.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Absolutely essential to get minutes for all the squad.

We fell away towards the end of last season, because we were so reliant on the starting 11.
RDZ knows he has to build 25 players that are all good enough.
Tony has backed him with quality signings.
Now he has to get them all ready.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he thinks it takes 10 - 15 weeks for players to get used to his style.
Understandable that when the starting 11 features 3 or 4 of the newbies that we don't look as fluid yet.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Just found a stat on the Beeb in their ‘muff match report ‘Brighton have made 20 changes to their starting XI in the Premier League this season, more than any other team. At this stage last season, the Seagulls had only made three changes.’ Maybe Potter didn’t tinker as much as we thought.

RDZ certainly seems to be doing something a bit different to the other clubs competing in Europe, all of whom seem to be using similar numbers of players (18-22), but the consistency of the starting eleven differs. Villa have 8 ever presents players in the Premier League. Liverpool and City 6, Arsenal and Newcastle 5 and United 4. We’re on 1. Only Lewis Dunk has started every game.

RDZ has done amazingly well to pull it off so far. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Anyone who thinks we were 'dreadful' against AEK hasn't got a frigging clue what they're talking about. We narrowly lost a game we should have won against a good team. We might not have been quite at our best, but we were also hardly 'dreadful' in the first 20 mins against United. I guess you've only just started supporting Brighton. 'Dreadful' is losing 4-0 to Darlington at Gillingham.
Indeed! Or losing at home to 9-man Walsall at the Withdean in the 2008-09 season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
6 changes for United
7 for AEK
9 for Bournemouth
7 for Chelsea

Last season, a clear strength was the partnerships we had. Mac and Caicedo and Estupinan and Mitoma were notable examples and the latter were reunited to devastating affect at half time on Sunday.

This season we have goalkeepers in rotation and the longest run of games any centre back pairing has had is two.

Cloning?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Injuries to key players, particularly Pascal Gross. Starting, not unusually, a very young side in the cup. Blooding new players so they get minutes. Managing the squad across a lot of fronts. Playing games every three to four days. Critically, a system they all know.

I can see why he's done it.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
6 changes for United
7 for AEK
9 for Bournemouth
7 for Chelsea

5 convincing wins out of 6 would say it’s good squad management and if we want to be fresh at the end of the season to get top 4 we need to do it🤷‍♂️

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well, we keep winning so I’m not sure what the problem is ? How do you not make changes when playing so many matches ?
I assume it comes from people thinking we should be able to consistently play at our best, with 6 or 7 new first team squad members.
Some people are impatient.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, no?

This season was always going to be a balancing act - and it's only really just started. There's a long way to go with probably plenty of ups and downs.

Changes or not, I'm sticking to my usual (boring) 'one game at a time' approach and enjoying the ride. and following the tracker, obvs.

I believe Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes or Ch-ch-Changes are acceptable but not Ch-ch-ch-Changes :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here