[Albion] Chchchanges

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
6 changes for United
7 for AEK
9 for Bournemouth
7 for Chelsea

Last season, a clear strength was the partnerships we had. Mac and Caicedo and Estupinan and Mitoma were notable examples and the latter were reunited to devastating affect at half time on Sunday.

This season we have goalkeepers in rotation and the longest run of games any centre back pairing has had is two.

Is it affecting our performances and if so, what’s the alternative?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If, by Christmas we're still in the Europa league, top 8, and we will be in the FA cup doing all this rotation, we will be in a position to pick any 11 from 25 and win . . . They will all get to know each other and learn each others idiosyncracies.

That must be the goal ? To be able to cover every position twice and a few utility gems like Lord Gross and Sir Solly

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My personal thoughts are we are making too many changes. Our team is built on knowing where every player stands for the pass, but changing so many players cant be easy. We need pairings or triples. Players who don't need to see where their partners are but ever changing cant help.
But with games coming thick and fast we need to do this. 2 games a week plus long haul trips for international games, players will get tired.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think the point about us is its the system which is key, and players are trained to slot in and out. In reality, you are probably right, but also in reality we have to rest, no way around it. I think as we get into the season we'll see less resting and less rotation, think RDZ is using this early part of the season to get minutes into every players legs, trying not to tire players out too early and try out different partnerships. The injuries haven't helped either.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My personal thoughts are we are making too many changes. Our team is built on knowing where every player stands for the pass, but changing so many players cant be easy. We need pairings or triples. Players who don't need to see where their partners are but ever changing cant help.
But with games coming thick and fast we need to do this. 2 games a week plus long haul trips for international games, players will get tired.

It’s a difficult balance isn’t it. It does feel like he’s using Pedro and Fati together consistently as a pair. Must be really hard for the centre halves and pivot though.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
6 changes for United
7 for AEK
9 for Bournemouth
7 for Chelsea

Last season, a clear strength was the partnerships we had. Mac and Caicedo and Estupinan and Mitoma were notable examples and the latter were reunited to devastating affect at half time on Sunday.

This season we have goalkeepers in rotation and the longest run of games any centre back pairing has had is two.

Is it affecting our performances and if so, what’s the alternative?
Guess the concerning thing is:
Man U, first twenty dreadful
AEK, dreadful
Bournemouth, forest half dreadful
Chelsea, mediocre.
This has to come from the changes.

As long as we keep winning more than we lose I guess it isn't an issue

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Faith in RDZ, of course, but I do think we've over done the changes recently. Hard for incoming players to do well when there are so many changes each game. I would prefer a bit more continuity. Mind you, we don't know about management of injuries/fitness issues unless someone ruled out completely.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surely this is an improvement from Potter where we used to change players, and then change formation about five times a game.

At least now the formation and tactics are similar from game to game, and it's only the players that change.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Guess the concerning thing is:
Man U, first twenty dreadful
AEK, dreadful
Bournemouth, forest half dreadful
Chelsea, mediocre.
This has to come from the changes.

As long as we keep winning more than we lose I guess it isn't an issue
Anyone who thinks we were 'dreadful' against AEK hasn't got a frigging clue what they're talking about. We narrowly lost a game we should have won against a good team. We might not have been quite at our best, but we were also hardly 'dreadful' in the first 20 mins against United. I guess you've only just started supporting Brighton. 'Dreadful' is losing 4-0 to Darlington at Gillingham.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've noticed that when the number of changes we make is a multiple of three, we win, otherwise we lose.

Other than that, I can't give any useful input.
Numerology is, though, a tremendously useful input.

🌟 :wink:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Anyone who thinks we were 'dreadful' against AEK hasn't got a frigging clue what they're talking about. We narrowly lost a game we should have won against a good team. We might not have been quite at our best, but we were also hardly 'dreadful' in the first 20 mins against United. I guess you've only just started supporting Brighton. 'Dreadful' is losing 4-0 to Darlington at Gillingham.
Yeah I started supporting Brighton this season. My bad.
Actually I heard when RDZ was 8 ItaliaSport was showing our home game against Blackpool and he watched it through someone's window. He reminds the players that after watching that 3-1 defeat all our performances are great.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here