Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] ChatGPT

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I like that! Will it learn to become creative over time? As that would surely change everything.
It is already quite creative. One of the first ways that GPT was used in was to create text game adventures with the GPT generating rooms, environments and storylines.

It also depends on what you train it on. If you use a large number of fantasy novels as its data and then tell it to write original stories, it will. This is an example of what GPT 2.5 could creatively do with the right training:

botsofny1.jpg

botsofny2.jpg

botny3.jpg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Dear Mr. Bloom,

I am writing to express my enthusiasm for the idea of building a monorail at the American Express Community Stadium. I believe that this would be a great addition to the stadium, and would bring many benefits to both the stadium and the community as a whole.

One of the main benefits of a monorail is that it would greatly improve the accessibility of the stadium. Many fans, especially those with mobility issues, would be able to reach the stadium more easily and comfortably with the monorail. This would also help to reduce traffic congestion around the stadium, making it more convenient for everyone.

In addition, a monorail would be a great way to showcase the stadium and the city of Brighton to visitors. The monorail would provide a unique and exciting way for people to experience the stadium and the surrounding area, which would help to attract more tourists and boost the local economy.

Another benefit of a monorail is that it would be an environmentally friendly way to transport people to and from the stadium. This would align with the Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club's commitment to sustainability and would also be a significant step towards reducing the carbon footprint of the stadium.

In conclusion, I believe that building a monorail at the American Express Community Stadium would be a great investment for the club and the community. It would bring many benefits and would help to make the stadium even more accessible, attractive, and environmentally friendly. I hope that you will seriously consider this proposal and I would be happy to provide any additional information or assistance that you may need.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[Your Name]
Ask ChatGPT for a cost-benefit analysis, and compare the pros and cons of it with the Wuppertaler Schwebebahn in Germany. By the oddest coincidence, this was installed in.....1901.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is having 'personality' a good thing when teaching? it certainly can be, but it also means teachers have favourites, make judgements, deliver learning inconsistently and do all sorts of other perfectly understandable human things.

Id argue that adaptability might be more valuable, understanding each learner as an individual and how to best motivate them. Also something that still requires humans for the time being :)

If I was in academia though. my brain would be capsising. It's a monumental shift in terms of being able to evaluate work. If I was 16, 18 or 22 right now, I would be trying to get all my essays written for me!
It’s concerning, the last sentence. If it does get to the stage where the resulting essay could fool a teacher, we’d be raising a generation of dunder-heads.

How a student could make the essay significantly different to their fellow students would be interesting to see. A whole class handing in almost identical work could pose a problem.

And lo! We see how these so called advances always come across insurmountable pitfalls when they try to replicate the behaviour of humans.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is already quite creative. One of the first ways that GPT was used in was to create text game adventures with the GPT generating rooms, environments and storylines.

It also depends on what you train it on. If you use a large number of fantasy novels as its data and then tell it to write original stories, it will. This is an example of what GPT 2.5 could creatively do with the right training:

View attachment 155670

View attachment 155671

View attachment 155672
It has “created” gibberish.

No wonder you like it :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is very clever. what it does well, it does very fast and gives people the impression of some intelligence. there's a lot of processing under the hood though.

what is doesn't do is comprehension, its rather formulaic in response (though this might be deliberate!), and something it cant do at all is ask questions or show independent thought.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
LOL. Some years ago, I was enthralled by a young chimp at Barcelona zoo, who grabbed a rag off another chimp and ran off. He then climbed up on some 'rocks' and proceeded to dangle it in front of the other chimp, just out of reach. When the other chimp tried to climb up, the young chimp got hold of the ropes and held those just out of reach as well. We were in fits of laughter. Hours of entertainment.

ChatGPT reminds me of that rag. The rag was no longer a rag. It had become a coveted item of great value.

In half a day, people on here have already gone beyond using ChatGPT as a tool, but are using it as entertainment. Humankind is waaay beyond AI.
💯 this

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I work in advertising and I use it to create lots of basic ideas very quickly. It never really produces the finished article but it gets the creative juices flowing.
there's been some similar tools generating "AI art". they can produce thousands of outputs in minutes, that would take an artist hours, even days, for each piece. but they dont curate, cant see or fix anomolies and weird outputs (for some reason hands are impossible to generate). its usful to give an artist a base, then spend those hours producing several high quality outputs.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
It's a bit more helpful if you include your prompt...

write an angry letter to Paul barber at Brighton & Hove Albion about the club's failure to replace striker glenn murray​
Dear Mr. Barber,​
I am writing to express my extreme disappointment and frustration with Brighton & Hove Albion's failure to replace striker Glenn Murray. As a dedicated and passionate fan of the club, it is disheartening to see such a glaring hole in our squad go unaddressed.​
Murray's contributions to the team have been invaluable, and his absence is sorely felt. It is unacceptable that the club has not made any efforts to bring in a suitable replacement. This lack of action is a clear indication of a lack of ambition and a lack of respect for the club's supporters.​
I urge you and the rest of the board to take immediate action to rectify this situation. The failure to replace a key player like Murray is a direct betrayal of the trust and loyalty of the fans. We deserve better and I demand that you take the necessary steps to ensure that the team is competitive and has a chance to succeed.​
Sincerely, [Your name]​
What happens if you put in the name of a player never associated with the club?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It has “created” gibberish.

No wonder you like it :)
Of course it is gibberish.

Just like your talk about how GPT is not useful (despite hundreds of thousands of people using it for work purposes etc.) and most other fiction. The Lord of the Rings is also "gibberish". Orcs? Dwarfs? Elves? Hobbits? Mordor, magical rings and all those things? Gibberish.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course it is gibberish.

Just like your talk about how GPT is not useful (despite hundreds of thousands of people using it for work purposes etc.) and most other fiction. The Lord of the Rings is also "gibberish". Orcs? Dwarfs? Elves? Hobbits? Mordor, magical rings and all those things? Gibberish.
I haven’t said it’s useless. Try and be accurate in your arguments. Bending of the truth suggest you have a weak argument.

Comparing Tolkien to a bot that has “written” about Cheeto dust?

I see.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s concerning, the last sentence. If it does get to the stage where the resulting essay could fool a teacher, we’d be raising a generation of dunder-heads.

How a student could make the essay significantly different to their fellow students would be interesting to see. A whole class handing in almost identical work could pose a problem.

And lo! We see how these so called advances always come across insurmountable pitfalls when they try to replicate the behaviour of humans.
I will log on and try to get it to write a couple of essays - one of the sort I set and one of the sort my lazier colleages set ('write an essay on' type of shit). Site is down now but I have triggered an alert.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Seems like another way for kids/students to do their homework without actually engaging their brain.
And...so far no chatbot has ever successfully answered my pretty basic enquiries.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I will log on and try to get it to write a couple of essays - one of the sort I set and one of the sort my lazier colleages set ('write an essay on' type of shit). Site is down now but I have triggered an alert.
I assume that - at present - to your trained eye, it will be relatively easy to spot the difference between a 'genuine' essay and a ChatGPT-generated one, but that it will get progressively more difficult as time goes by.

If it hasn't already been mooted (what am I saying, of course it has), the next big thing might be bot-spotting software, to counter the evil ChatGPT.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've just accessed my son's (who is 12) homework system and opened one of his science assignments about waves. The first question is: Define a longitudinal wave

You can go back to ChatGPT as many times as you like to get different/refined results until such time as you have something you want, and each only takes a few seconds...

define a longitudinal wave

A longitudinal wave is a type of mechanical wave that involves a displacement of a medium along the direction of propagation of the wave. The oscillations of the medium are parallel to the direction of wave motion. A common example of a longitudinal wave is sound waves, where the oscillations of air molecules are parallel to the direction of wave motion. Another example is a slinky wave, where the oscillations of the coils of the slinky are parallel to the direction of wave motion. The oscillations of the medium in a longitudinal wave are often described as compressions and rarefactions. The speed of a longitudinal wave is determined by the elasticity and density of the medium in which it travels.

do the above in very simple language

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave that moves through a medium, like a rope or the air, by pushing and pulling the medium. The pushing and pulling motion is parallel to the direction the wave is moving. A simple example of a longitudinal wave is sound waves, where the sound is created by the pushing and pulling of the air. Another example is a wave moving through a slinky, where the coils of the slinky are pushed and pulled. These types of waves are also known as compression waves.

do the above without using the word medium

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave that moves by pushing and pulling. This pushing and pulling motion is parallel to the direction the wave is moving. An example of a longitudinal wave is sound, where the sound is created by pushing and pulling of the air. Another example is a wave moving through a slinky, where the coils of the slinky are pushed and pulled. These types of waves are also known as compression waves.

do the above and provide 5 concise examples

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave that moves by pushing and pulling in the same direction as the wave's movement. Examples of longitudinal waves include:
  1. Sound waves: where sound is created by the pushing and pulling of air.
  2. P waves in earthquakes: where the ground pushes and pulls.
  3. Pressure waves in fluids: where the fluid pushes and pulls.
  4. Waves in a spring: where the coils of a spring pushes and pulls.
  5. Waves in a slinky: where the coils of the slinky are pushed and pulled.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I assume that - at present - to your trained eye, it will be relatively easy to spot the difference between a 'genuine' essay and a ChatGPT-generated one, but that it will get progressively more difficult as time goes by.

If it hasn't already been mooted (what am I saying, of course it has), the next big thing might be bot-spotting software, to counter the evil ChatGPT.
There already are:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've just accessed my son's (who is 12) homework system and opened one of his science assignments about waves. The first question is: Define a longitudinal wave

You can go back to ChatGPT as many times as you like to get different/refined results until such time as you have something you want, and each only takes a few seconds...

define a longitudinal wave

A longitudinal wave is a type of mechanical wave that involves a displacement of a medium along the direction of propagation of the wave. The oscillations of the medium are parallel to the direction of wave motion. A common example of a longitudinal wave is sound waves, where the oscillations of air molecules are parallel to the direction of wave motion. Another example is a slinky wave, where the oscillations of the coils of the slinky are parallel to the direction of wave motion. The oscillations of the medium in a longitudinal wave are often described as compressions and rarefactions. The speed of a longitudinal wave is determined by the elasticity and density of the medium in which it travels.

do the above in very simple language

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave that moves through a medium, like a rope or the air, by pushing and pulling the medium. The pushing and pulling motion is parallel to the direction the wave is moving. A simple example of a longitudinal wave is sound waves, where the sound is created by the pushing and pulling of the air. Another example is a wave moving through a slinky, where the coils of the slinky are pushed and pulled. These types of waves are also known as compression waves.

do the above without using the word medium

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave that moves by pushing and pulling. This pushing and pulling motion is parallel to the direction the wave is moving. An example of a longitudinal wave is sound, where the sound is created by pushing and pulling of the air. Another example is a wave moving through a slinky, where the coils of the slinky are pushed and pulled. These types of waves are also known as compression waves.

do the above and provide 5 concise examples

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave that moves by pushing and pulling in the same direction as the wave's movement. Examples of longitudinal waves include:
  1. Sound waves: where sound is created by the pushing and pulling of air.
  2. P waves in earthquakes: where the ground pushes and pulls.
  3. Pressure waves in fluids: where the fluid pushes and pulls.
  4. Waves in a spring: where the coils of a spring pushes and pulls.
  5. Waves in a slinky: where the coils of the slinky are pushed and pulled.
I’m sure a geography teacher would spot 30 essays mentioning slinkys?

I guess a way to make sure all of the students using this software aren’t all handing in the same essay is for all the students to cross reference their essays before handing them in.

Which seems pretty time consuming.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

...and as a follow-up to the above, your post was detected as being 100% human-generated content, whilst a letter ChatGPT wrote to the Albion team for me, inspiring them onto victory this weekend was only 44% human-generated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m sure a geography teacher would spot 30 essays mentioning slinkys?

I guess a way to make sure all of the students using this software aren’t all handing in the same essay is for all the students to cross reference their essays before handing them in.

Which seems pretty time consuming.
Again, you're missing the point by a fair distance. You're spending a lot of time in a thread on something you don't care about.

Other people have posted in this thread about how it is useful to them, saving them time and making them more productive. Maybe those are the posts you should be really getting stuck into, in order to help you see what is happening here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here