Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlton Athletic vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
We had our chances but just didn't take them. As far as the Solly miss to get us the win..ffs.

Overall though good to get our legs under us a bit, and even though would love to win every single competition you enter, not going to lose sleep to be out of this cup.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just in, nice easy drive home. Nothing else much positive though. Looked and felt a bit like a pre-season warm up which is hardly surprising, we failed to deal with Charlton’s totally unsurprising ‘defend waste time hoping for a shootout’ tactics and didn’t really test their keeper anything like enough. Fair play to them, disappointed that another potential decent cup run that hd opened up somewhat has gone down the toilet.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Probably the worse away day I’ve every encountered in 30 years travelling away.

Got to the Valley at 6pm, didn’t get in to the ground until gone 8. Totally unacceptable and nobody on the ground taking any responsibility or communicating with those in the queue

As we approached KO this resulted in a few getting nicked or walked away from the ground when the frustration boiled over.

I only saw 3 (three) people working the away ticket office as apparently Charlton couldn’t staff it further.

The whole thing was shambolic.

Top it off shit performance , shit penalties (March wasn’t the only one that missed by the way)

Now on a slow train home

The worst thing is I’ve actually parted money for the experience.

f***ing hell
The charlton stewards didnt do anything till the game kicked off and then they started to worry as the mood was changing. Then they started leading away groups with the help of the police to the wrong stand for me so i had to then go back and hope i could walk my way past and into the right one whilst people were still queueing. Utter shambles..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
when you get so close to a final and get beaten by Charlton FFS you gotta ask why we don't take this more seriously and play a stringer line up ESPECIALLY given many that did not stat couldve done with thegame time. Lost opportunity.
Not sure who else we should have played given injuries and WC absence……no Welbeck, Webster or Mac Allister possible, Sanchez wasn’t needed (and never saves pens anyway), Colwill did fine. Not sure starting Trossard (who looked off the pace), Mitoma (who has only been back a couple of days) and Pervis would have materially affected the outcome. Veltman was the only real absentee we could have included?

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I had the misfortune of watching this one from the east stand with a few Charlton mates. I had to admit, for a sold out away allocation we didn't make near as much noise as I thought we would, but perhaps the separation had a part to play...

Disappointing result but by no means a terrible performance. All four substitutions had a decent impact but our unwillingness to shoot from outside the box is terribly frustrating, and how we didn't manage to get anyone on the end of one of those goal line sitters I don't know.

Well done to Charlton. Great club who I hope get another home tie in the next round. For the Albion, its a reality check and a chance to put things right on Boxing Day.

PXL_20221221_195714528.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I am done with away days

Attachments

• 20221222_004234.jpg
    20221222_004234.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That’s why solly will never be a top professional, because he lacks self confidence,
It's getting close to last chance with me. He has constantly f***ed up in front of goal, that is not good enough. However one thing about his penalty who the f*** allowed him take one? The bloke is useless from 3 yards, as proved tonight, If it was at the end of sudden death everyone would understand and expect him to miss.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He’s a massive confidence player solly and that will hurt him.
Will it though? He has had so many chances this year (and others) and just never looks like scoring. The one on one he had earlier in the season he just tapped straight at the keeper. He is f***ing awful in front of goal and for someone playing in the EPL in one of forward positions it's not good enough.

It needs an upgrade.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not defending anyone. I'm suggesting that singling one person out when four missed penalties is a bit of a shit take.
It's not the shit penalty it's all the other misses, a constant failure in front of goal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Must admit, I'm glad I got the gist of the match from Sky Sports News rather than this thread. According to Mark McAdam, it was an entertaining game. Solly played some great stuff and Lamptey getting back to his best. Admitted, we should have won on pens and, left footers (except Stuart Pearce)and short run ups should be banned from penalties, but apart from that a decent runout that will prep us well for Saints.
Solly's great stuff flatters, what's the point when there's f*** all at the end.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The charlton stewards didnt do anything till the game kicked off and then they started to worry as the mood was changing. Then they started leading away groups with the help of the police to the wrong stand for me so i had to then go back and hope i could walk my way past and into the right one whilst people were still queueing. Utter shambles..
I was right behind the groups when they started doing this m, couldn’t work out where they were going or taking you beyond the queue all ready in place?

You are right no interest in making things easier or communications it was only when people started shouting that they clearly shit it and thought we better do something.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That’s why solly will never be a top professional, because he lacks self confidence,
Totally agree, there’s never a month in Sundays that, that lad will ever hold down a first team place, in one of the best leagues in the world…..

oh hang on….

wobble ya head, will ya….

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That result has annoyed me more than any result in the World Cup and much much more than England’s exit :shrug:

Quite daft really, we always screw up in this cup and the fact that Charlton hadn’t won in six games should have set alarm bells ringing, we are the go to team for sequences like that :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Totally agree, there’s never a month in Sundays that, that lad will ever hold down a first team place, in one of the best leagues in the world…..

oh hang on….

wobble ya head, will ya….
You do have to accept that he is right up there with our worst ever barn door billy forwards in front of goal though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here