Charlie Oatway

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Rob

I can't help but feel that our season died on its arse the day he got injured against QPR.

I have been one of his critics and he's certainly not blessed with silky skills but his fighting spirit would have been invaluable. We'd probably have beaten Crewe and maybe picked up a few other points along the way.

He certainly would not have let the heads drop like the have been lately.

Get well soon Charlie :angel:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's been said many times, now, but it gets more and more obvious as the weeks go by.

I don't suppose there's any chance he'll play again this season, is there? It'll probably be too late anyway. :down:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I dont think he will ever play football again. We have really missed him this season as we have no leaders in the team.

As one who's always rated his contribution to the team, I agree that we missed him, but the failure to sign a striker has cost us far more.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Charlie was inspirational against Palace at Sellhurst. He's been very sorely missed.

Hammond and Chippy doesn't work for me. I'm sorry to say that Chippy has been very poor this season. and with him and Hammond in the middle we are slow.

Hammond seems to only play at one pace (which for centre mid, when in need of a battle and partnered with Chippy, is not quick enough) on the left, however, i think he is very good.

Nicolas, i feel would have been an ideal replacement for Charlie, while he does run about like a headless chicken at times and dives in too much, Alexis is the battler we need with Charlie out. IMHO

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Fatboy Quim said:
Nicolas, i feel would have been an ideal replacement for Charlie, while he does run about like a headless chicken at times and dives in too much, Alexis is the battler we need with Charlie out. IMHO

Totally agreed. Massive mistake never to have given him a run there post Oatway's injury.

As a mild Oatway-knocker, I'm pleased to say he's impressed me this season; it was noticeable not only how strong the more obvious aspects of his game were, but also the extent to which he was trying to get it down and play football, and largely suceeding in doing so. We've certainly missed him.

Repugnant Toad said:
Totally agreed. Massive mistake never to have given him a run there post Oatway's injury.

As a mild Oatway-knocker, I'm pleased to say he's impressed me this season; it was noticeable not only how strong the more obvious aspects of his game were, but also the extent to which he was trying to get it down and play football, and largely suceeding in doing so. We've certainly missed him.

Look forward to another conversion on the road to Damacus next season, re. McGhee :)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sully said:
It's been said many times, now, but it gets more and more obvious as the weeks go by.

I don't suppose there's any chance he'll play again this season, is there? It'll probably be too late anyway. :down:

No. He had another operation today to remove the pins that have been holding his ankle together.
Hopefully that has been successful.

I have said several times that his injury was the turning point. :(

Jul 7, 2003
sully said:

Saw him in the pub on Saturday night and he was still on crutches and Yorkies comment seems to confirm that we've seen the last of him for this season.

What this thread really needs is Uncle Buck to admit that we are missing Charlie.

thedonkeycentrehalf said:
What this thread really needs is Uncle Buck to admit that we are missing Charlie.
There's more chance of him becoming a Celtic season ticket holder :lol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I don't rate Charlie but for a few games before he got injured he and the team were playing well. I also agree MM has messed up not using Nicolas as his replacement.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Les Biehn said:
I don't rate Charlie but for a few games before he got injured he and the team were playing well. I also agree MM has messed up not using Nicolas as his replacement.

Nicolas couldn't replace Charlie in any way shape or form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports