Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Changes in the Highway Code from 290122

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Advice not rules

My understanding is that the ‘changes’ to the code are advice NOT rules and attempt to clarify the previous code. Don’t want to encourage the hatred of cyclists and yes some are idiots like some drivers but, in the last couple of weeks a women got community service for killing a cyclist in Hailsham. Also a cyclist was killed on the A22 near Hailsham and another near Pevensey. A tragedy for the cyclists, their families and the drivers involved. Please drive, cycle, ride and walk safely and with respect for others.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
99.99% do not.and get petty pissed off if you don't rush out of their way.

Yep ... I had this when crossing road near Red Lion/Amsterdam roundabout (Shoreham) walking to bus stop for Seagull Travel coach to Spurs game. I actually waiting as I'd seen 2 cars indicating they were coming round. They cleared and so I started to cross. Its a fairly wide bit of road and I was 3/4 way across when another car appeared - coming up from Shoreham and turning right. I carried on swiftly but the car wasn't going to stop and flew past me blasting his horn at me!! Needless to say if he was looking in his rear view mirror he'd have seen what I thought!!

And this was with the new 'rules' !!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
As I was walking last week, a car actually stopped as it turned left, to allow me to cross the road!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
In France the car is still king,you literally take your life into your own hands when venturing out onto the road

Even zebra crossings, the French wouldn't dream of putting a speculative toe out unless it was absolutely clear

Being British, it's a tough habit to get out of,I regularly stop for pedestrians, but I've had the blast of the horn from behind a few times,wondering what the hell I'm doing

This new rule must be music to the ears of the whiplash brigade

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your usual response.

What number would it have to be before you decide the deaths caused by motor vehicles is worthy of yours and everybody else's attention?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What number would it have to be before you decide the deaths caused by motor vehicles is worthy of yours and everybody else's attention?

Firstly, motor vehicles dont kill anyone, bad drivers do. Secondly, where did I say anyones death isn't worthy of my attention? I'm just pointing out that in my view the changes are poorly thought out.

Also as a cyclist, how do you feel about having to stop to give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a road your turning into?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One for the YPLAC Twitter account.

Two things I'm struggling with there unfortunately.

Twitter and YPLAC.

I've absolutely no idea about either.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My understanding is that the ‘changes’ to the code are advice NOT rules and attempt to clarify the previous code. Don’t want to encourage the hatred of cyclists and yes some are idiots like some drivers but, in the last couple of weeks a women got community service for killing a cyclist in Hailsham. Also a cyclist was killed on the A22 near Hailsham and another near Pevensey. A tragedy for the cyclists, their families and the drivers involved. Please drive, cycle, ride and walk safely and with respect for others.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. You are emphasising it being rules not advice, then you mention a woman who killed a cyclist and got community service for it with the proviso of 'don't want to encourage hatred of cyclists'. Making it seem like the dead cyclist is at fault for her getting community service (with an apparent implication that they were doing smething they were advised to do, but that it wasn't the rule so they shouldn't have?). Then follow it up with two more cyclist deaths. But then end with the quite sensible points of everyone being affected, and calling for everyone to be safe and respect others.

I'm sure that's not what you intended, it's just how it reads so I thought I'd point it out to allow clarification.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Two things I'm struggling with there unfortunately.

Twitter and YPLAC.

I've absolutely no idea about either.

Took me a while, but I'm pretty YPLAC is a twitter account that has name that explains the content it posts and I'm pretty sure it's

You
Park
A
Coco the clown impersonator.

*Might be wrong on one of them.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He's clearly in the wrong. I can accept him refusing liability if there were no footage, one man's word against another. But when the video is so clear, you should apologise and take the slap on the wrist. He's unhappy with the fine and the costs, but he's brought those on himself through his refusal to see reality. He should try being passed so closely whilst riding a bike. The cyclist couldn't have been further in the gutter of the road, by the way, so let's not hear they should have been further over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mr Humphreys refused to accept any wrong doing and said he left enough room

If the next cyclist finds himself under the wheels of the massive Audi A8 will be to blame as well.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
He's clearly in the wrong. I can accept him refusing liability if there were no footage, one man's word against another. But when the video is so clear, you should apologise and take the slap on the wrist. He's unhappy with the fine and the costs, but he's brought those on himself through his refusal to see reality. He should try being passed so closely whilst riding a bike. The cyclist couldn't have been further in the gutter of the road, by the way, so let's not hear they should have been further over.

Besides which, there's no requirement for the cyclist to move over. They're allowed to use any part of the lane, same as any other road user.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was the previous wording in the highway code (Rule 170):

"watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

So it only applied if a pedestrian was already in the road and just to vehicles turning into a road (no mention of direction so applied to right turns too).

New text:

"give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

Now it applies to pedestrians waiting to cross and also to vehicles emerging from a junction.

This is the sort of thing that does my head in. If the first sentence is correct the second sentence is redundant. If the second sentence is necessary then the first sentence is incorrect. The first sentence implies that you should give way to pedestrials waiting to cross but unlike those who are crossing they don't have priority. The correct statement should be: ""give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning because they have priority."

That is pretty extreme and reminds me of roads in Vancouver when I lived there in the 80s. I would be walking along a main road and if I happened to aproach a junction and look across the road the traffic would screech to a halt. Not a biggie on their massive quiet roads (they were quiet then) but imagine this on Western Road :eek:

I was recently told I had £1600 of a budget allocation that had to be spent by July or I would lose it. So I spent it. Now I'm told I'm £1500 in debt. The information I had not been given was that I could spend up to 10% of my reserves (£1600) this financial year, and need to do so by the end of July. I was not told how much of that I had already spent.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here