Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Changes in the Highway Code from 290122

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Giving way to pedestrians when turning left is one I've seen. Not sure it won't cause some rear end prangs... Also I would say it's more important to keep traffic flowing as it's better for the environment.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Giving way to pedestrians when turning left is one I've seen. Not sure it won't cause some rear end prangs... Also I would say it's more important to keep traffic flowing as it's better for the environment.

I’ve now seen a thread started yesterday on the same subject ..but only referring to cyclists when it includes pedestrians to whom it’s more relevant

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Can’t say I knew ..anyway a few interesting comments which you may or may not agree with
(I thought for turning left you had to give a pedestrian priority anyway?)

This was the previous wording in the highway code (Rule 170):

"watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

So it only applied if a pedestrian was already in the road and just to vehicles turning into a road (no mention of direction so applied to right turns too).

New text:

"give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

Now it applies to pedestrians waiting to cross and also to vehicles emerging from a junction.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This was the previous wording in the highway code (Rule 170):

"watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

So it only applied if a pedestrian was already in the road and just to vehicles turning into a road (no mention of direction so applied to right turns too).

New text:

"give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

Now it applies to pedestrians waiting to cross and also to vehicles emerging from a junction.

Cheers …have you seen these changes advertised…I hadn’t..first I heard of it was a random YouTube visit and I just happen to follow that guy

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Cheers …have you seen these changes advertised…I hadn’t..first I heard of it was a random YouTube visit and I just happen to follow that guy

Advertised? Not widely, no. Government communications about these changes have been appallingly bad. I had seen it previously, though, via a social media post that was shared by a relative - so it would appear the government may have been relying on social shares to get the word out instead of doing the right thing and putting some advertising spend behind it (or, maybe, sending an actual leaflet to everyone registered as owning a vehicle!)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

You are already supposed to give way to pedestrians when turning left or right into a road if they have started to cross.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
You are already supposed to give way to pedestrians when turning left or right into a road if they have started to cross.

Not many drivers do though, unless pedestrians are in the middle of the road, even then they'd rather drive round them if they can.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Not many drivers do though, unless pedestrians are in the middle of the road, even then they'd rather drive round them if they can.

Nope. I think this is down to ignorance amongst drivers (rather than impatience) and pedestrians. I'm not sure I was aware of this for several years after passing my test.

I fully approve of the changes. Pedestrians should be treated with a lot more consideration.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So just carry on as normal then

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I’ve heard a few people suggest this but I don’t get it. You signal and slow down to a virtual crawl anyway when turning off onto a side road, if someone is paying so little attention that they drive into the back of you because you pause to let a pedestrian cross, then they’re an accident waiting to happen anyway.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I thought it was common curtacey to let a pedestrian, especially the young, the elderly, and those with kids, to cross the road before turning left.

Can't say I've ever witnessed someone waiting to turn left, drive around a pedestrian if they are already crossing the road.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If I see a pedestrian close to a junction I’m turning into I always think they are going to cross without looking, especially when they have got a phone in their hand and headphones in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So just carry on as normal then

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

It seems so, yes.

IMG_20220212_000007.jpg

I mean, just who the fvck do pedestrians think they are!?

Most vulnerable my arse.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You're right but the new rule is to also include those that are waiting to cross. Representatives of the blind have already pointed out that guide dogs wait for there to be no cars and won't understand when cars turning into a road are giving way. It's also been intimated that you have to give way when exiting a roundabout.

Stupid unnecessary changes that are going to cause more problems than they resolve.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're right but the new rule is to also include those that are waiting to cross. Representatives of the blind have already pointed out that guide dogs wait for there to be no cars and won't understand when cars turning into a road are giving way. It's also been intimated that you have to give way when exiting a roundabout.

Stupid unnecessary changes that are going to cause more problems than they resolve.

6 people killed every week by motor vehicles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here