Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Change to match day security

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
All this extra security is all rather pointless though really, the stewards look into bags and do a cursory pat down. They have no idea what they are looking for and what idiot armed with guns and a suicide belt is going to dutifully queue up and then allow his bomb and weapons to be found by some plum in a flourescent orange jacket. All it achieves is a psychological boost that they are seen to be doing something extra in the wake of what happened in France it isn't actually making anything safer. The only real advice is for everyone to increase their vigilance and to report anything or anyone they think is suspicious or out of the ordinary, if that means someone gets offended by being pulled up and spoken to then so be it. Extra bag searches and pat downs are a complete waste of time because if an attack comes it will be sudden, brutal and no-one will be able to stop it.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
All this extra security is all rather pointless though really, the stewards look into bags and do a cursory pat down. They have no idea what they are looking for and what idiot armed with guns and a suicide belt is going to dutifully queue up and then allow his bomb and weapons to be found by some plum in a flourescent orange jacket. All it achieves is a psychological boost that they are seen to be doing something extra in the wake of what happened in France it isn't actually making anything safer. The only real advice is for everyone to increase their vigilance and to report anything or anyone they think is suspicious or out of the ordinary, if that means someone gets offended by being pulled up and spoken to then so be it. Extra bag searches and pat downs are a complete waste of time because if an attack comes it will be sudden, brutal and no-one will be able to stop it.

Can't argue with any of that.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011

I donno. Surely you'd have to be a bit dim to believe killing a load of innocent peoples a good idea. What if they did find something and save everyone. You'd be sorry then or would you. Probably not you'd be happy enough :albion2:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I donno. Surely you'd have to be a bit dim to believe killing a load of innocent peoples a good idea. What if they did find something and save everyone. You'd be sorry then or would you. Probably not you'd be happy enough :albion2:

If you believe these people are 'a bit dim' that says more about your limited understanding of IS I'm afraid. Many of them are normal intelligent people who truly believe they are doing Gods work and that is why they are so dangerous, dim they are not. The likelihood of an Albion steward successfully finding weapons and bombs and somehow managing to convince the fella with them to hand them over is so absurd its laughable. And if they did why would I not be happy with that? Are you suggesting I'd be pleased with a terror attack? Don't be a dick.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you believe these people are 'a bit dim' that says more about your limited understanding of IS I'm afraid. Many of them are normal intelligent people who truly believe they are doing Gods work and that is why they are so dangerous, dim they are not. The likelihood of an Albion steward successfully finding weapons and bombs and somehow managing to convince the fella with them to hand them over is so absurd its laughable. And if they did why would I not be happy with that? Are you suggesting I'd be pleased with a terror attack? Don't be a dick.
Asking him to hand them over? Shirley if someone opens their jacket to revile a bomb the best course of action is to drop the cu*t

theboybilly

It reminds me of Kevin Bridges' joke about the woman passenger who, on suspecting a suicide bomber might be aboard, moved to the back of the bus. 'I guess she has no notion of the capabilty of Semtex'. 'Sudden, brutal and unstoppable' about sums it up

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Asking him to hand them over? Shirley if someone opens their jacket to revile a bomb the best course of action is to drop the cu*t

Stewarding at the Stade Français seemed to be quite effective though. Three suicide bombers, wasn't it - and how many did they manage to kill? Didn't even get inside, did they?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm not so sure it's a pointless exercise. Sure, if a suicide bomber shows up at the Amex with a bomb under his jacket, it's unlikely that a steward will stop him detonating it on his way in (although probably doing less damage than if he'd got inside). It may be however that tighter security, searches etc and the attendant publicity (assuming that terrorists research their targets beforehand) act as a disincentive to terrorists to choose the Amex as a target, knowing that they're less likely to get inside and cause maximum damage.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Stewarding at the Stade Français seemed to be quite effective though. Three suicide bombers, wasn't it - and how many did they manage to kill? Didn't even get inside, did they?

But didn't they turn up after the game had already started. Would they have been detected if they had turned up an hour before the game?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Dim is what MOST of them are. Weak willed, brain washed believers in a pre-medieval book, a prophet and a magic sky fairy. The Paris attackers were denied entrance to the Stade de France by a vigilant steward,.turned up at the wrong time and were off their nuts on drugs.

The leaders / masterminds are very clever indeed - psychopathic and charismatic - but they're needed to plan the ops, get the arms and brainwash the fools.

Doing nothing would be madness bearing this in mind. .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed the stewards can corral a bomb heavy terrorist next to the Bridge car park 'tunnel'.
Detonation there would create 2 lane access.

Everyone's a winner :thumbsup: :dunce:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not so sure it's a pointless exercise. Sure, if a suicide bomber shows up at the Amex with a bomb under his jacket, it's unlikely that a steward will stop him detonating it on his way in (although probably doing less damage than if he'd got inside). It may be however that tighter security, searches etc and the attendant publicity (assuming that terrorists research their targets beforehand) act as a disincentive to terrorists to choose the Amex as a target, knowing that they're less likely to get inside and cause maximum damage.

Agree - at least some deterrent factor makes the stadium not quite such a soft target. Still potential for carnage outside, on the train, at Brighton station etc etc but it's all about risk limitation I guess.

Not sure I would describe the radicalised individuals as dim - seems as though many are highly trained and intelligent. Brainwashed and misguided certainly though. Very different type of terrorist (compared to say IRA in the past) to deal with when someone is expecting (and actually positively trying) to kill themselves as part of the act.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've had my backpack searched at media entrances at the Emirates and Wembley on every visit (nowehere else) and on each occasion the person involved has had a cursory glance inside at my usual jumble of cables that really could be anything but have never once asked for a closer look. Wembley do also have those magnetic wands that they use in airports, but the Super Bowl has the best security, with magnetic gates and sniffer dogs since 9/11. Do we have the will or the funding to go down that road?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Interesting whilst in London this week that around major tourist attractions like Trafalgar Square there was almost no police presence and nobody was stopped and searched, yet somehow on entry to a second tier football match we all need to be individually frisked on entry.

This plays exactly into the terrorists hands with scaremongering and over the top reactions preventing people going about their normal day to day activities.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ridiculous. Unless they are going to employ these measures permanently, it's a nonsense. A few weeks of "Oooh, better tighten security", before going back to normal won't change anything. By the way, normal is fine. Ridiculous overreaction. Thank God this generation weren't about during WW2, we'd have been right up slack alley.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ridiculous. Unless they are going to employ these measures permanently, it's a nonsense. A few weeks of "Oooh, better tighten security", before going back to normal won't change anything. By the way, normal is fine. Ridiculous overreaction. Thank God this generation weren't about during WW2, we'd have been right up slack alley.

Somewhat agree. And most terrorist attacks have not been carbon copies of previous outrages. Just because a football ground was a target in the last Isis operation doesn't mean it will be in the next one - quite the opposite, on past form.

Also - and I await the inevitable accusations of racism - I imagine political correctness on the part of the club will mean that fans of all ages and ethnic origins will be searched with equal thoroughness when the majority of suicide bombers tend to fit a particular profile.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Somewhat agree. And most terrorist attacks have not been carbon copies of previous outrages. Just because a football ground was a target in the last Isis operation doesn't mean it will be in the next one - quite the opposite, on past form.

Also - and I await the inevitable accusations of racism - I imagine political correctness on the part of the club will mean that fans of all ages and ethnic origins will be searched with equal thoroughness when the majority of suicide bombers tend to fit a particular profile.
It's not racist to mention that certain ethnicities fit the terrorist profile, in fact it would probably lead to a more efficient deployment of resources. Could you imagine the shitstorm though, if our stewards picked out punters to search based on their race!

Yeah that's not going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here