Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Change to match day security

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
My brain is very simple. It works like this:

Football grounds abroad have been targeted.
They've been reviewing security in the light of this.
Albion is a business, this is arguably not good for business* they are still doing it.
We have no idea if there is a heightened local threat.
Brighton is already receiving additional Govt support to combat extremism (link below) smoke/fire
We'd best get used to this.
That bloke on the gate in Paris did a good job didn't he?
People always say they never thought it would happen to them.
Something somewhere is going to kick off soon in the UK
I'd really rather it wasn't near a place I frequent.
It's not a big deal. As the saying goes 'no one's died'...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/13/prevent-counter-terrorism-support

*open to debate

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I can understand the reaction but I question the validity of a pat down search. The modus operandi of these animals is not to sneak some weapons in disguised as thermos flasks but to charge in shooting then blow themselves up As seen in Paris - couldn't get through the turnstiles so just blow yourself up outside. Also having served through the Irish troubles the searches carried out at most public venues are farcical and are only done for appearances.
I do appreciate the challenges for the club do nothing people moan, do something people moan I guess I would rather the game go ahead and be mildly inconvenienced than the usual government reaction of a blanket ban.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bollocks to not bringing a bag. Barber would love if if we all turn up with nothing but a pocket of £20 notes.

And turned up and extra 30-45 minutes earlier. I'm all for security but targeted intelligence led security.... not this blanket approach.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
My brain is very simple. It works like this:

Football grounds abroad have been targeted.
They've been reviewing security in the light of this.
Albion is a business, this is arguably not good for business* they are still doing it.
We have no idea if there is a heightened local threat.
Brighton is already receiving additional Govt support to combat extremism (link below) smoke/fire
We'd best get used to this.
That bloke on the gate in Paris did a good job didn't he?
People always say they never thought it would happen to them.
Something somewhere is going to kick off soon in the UK
I'd really rather it wasn't near a place I frequent.
It's not a big deal. As the saying goes 'no one's died'...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/13/prevent-counter-terrorism-support

*open to debate

Exactly, if anything happened then people will be asking why wasn't more done. It's also worth considering.. Jewish owner, uk club, American franchise in Amex, whilst i think if these idiots do target someone it would be one of the big clubs for global media coverage, this appears how they work, we shouldn't assume anything.

Life goes on but that doesn't mean we can't all be vigilant.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I would think there is increased security for every game this weekend considering the terrorists in Paris specifically targeted a football match. All Football clubs would be notified of the level of threat and appropriate measures to take, these measures are probably just precautionary but as I said better safe than sorry.

Exactly.

I was browsing a few other clubs forums earlier from that other thread. Seems a few are being told the same thing.

QPR for example, there were others too.

http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/...rrive-early-increased-security-measures-at-LR

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I can understand the reaction but I question the validity of a pat down search. The modus operandi of these animals is not to sneak some weapons in disguised as thermos flasks but to charge in shooting then blow themselves up As seen in Paris - couldn't get through the turnstiles so just blow yourself up outside. Also having served through the Irish troubles the searches carried out at most public venues are farcical and are only done for appearances.
I do appreciate the challenges for the club do nothing people moan, do something people moan I guess I would rather the game go ahead and be mildly inconvenienced than the usual government reaction of a blanket ban.

At least one did try to sneak a bomb into the Paris ground.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Question: What happened to the thread I started about the potential risk at the Amex and to the Albion, I can't find it anywhere or on my history ??

Has this anything to do with it ?

Brighton & Hove Albion have reviewed the security procedures ahead of this weekend's visit of Birmingham City to ensure supporter safety remains of paramount importance.
The club's security team always adopts a proactive approach to supporter safety at the Amex and we ask that all fans are patient and comply with stewards' requests when entering, once inside and on leaving the stadium.
We would also strongly advise that you arrive at the stadium at least 30-45 minutes earlier than usual. Please note, security WILL NOT be reduced or compromised in the event of queues forming to clear security.
Please ensure all coats and jackets are open and ready to be searched, and we would advise avoiding bringing any bags with you to the stadium unless it is absolutely necessary, as this may slow your entry, and that of other supporters, to the stadium.

It is also important that all visitors to the Amex remain vigilant, do not leave bags or other items unattended and report anything that they believe may be suspicious to a steward, police officer or a member of the club's staff.
Security incidents in the UK are far from commonplace, but it is important that we all remain alert. Fans should report suspicious or unusual behaviour to a police officer, a steward or other member of the club's staff at the earliest opportunity.
We thank you in advance for your co-operation, patience and understanding in this matter.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to avoid taking a bag into the stadium by not taking my son into the shop before tomorrow's match.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It seems The Albion is being damned if it does carry out security checks - and damned if it doesn't.

Yes - you would like to think that ISIS have got more obvious and higher profile targets than a little old Championship football game at The Amex. Secondly it is important to show that we are not prepared to allow the bad guys to disrupt our normal way of life. However The Amex is a soft-ish target with 25k people all captive in one place - and normally with modest levels of 'hard' security. The bad guys will also know that unlike some more obvious targets there is live media coverage at the footie, giving the potential for any incident to be broadcast worldwide, thereby demonstrating their ability to strike at us.

So IMHO it would be rash for the Club to ignore the advice and not bother with some basic checks. OK being patted down by a burly steward armed only with a hi-viz vest might not deter a suicide bomber. However I hope there will be other discrete security arrangements at The Amex and in the wider area that may be less apparent to the public.

It all seems comparatively 'reasonable' to me - the national advice is to take sensible precautions - and if that means asking punters to arrive at The Amex few minutes earlier, then so be it. It's sensible for the Club to forewarn punters so the checks can have minimal impact. Imagine the moans if they didn't bother. I would not let it ruin my enjoyment of the day. It's already a 10-12 hour round trip for the footie so an extra few minutes isn't a great problem. If I were really that concerned then I would think twice about travelling via London, two major rail terminals and the Underground, which we know are more likely to be targets.

So I will just do my bit by being vigilant and by co-operating with sensible precautions. Some Albion goals, a good game, 3 points, a pint or two of Harveys and (hopefully) a decent pie are far more important to me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not a problem and the security staff from observation have always been decent.
Theoretically the proximity to the channel ports makes us marginally more vulnerable so some measured response to the current situation in Europe appears sensible.
Shan't tell the missus in advance as she would panic and refuse to go but we will get there half an hour early no problem

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
So for a quick pat down and rifle through a bag, we need to arrive 45 minutes earlier than normal?

Bollocks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
everyone getting their pant in a twist, has the security actually changed? as far as i can see they are just reiterating the existing policy - they have always checked bags and randomly frisked some. all thats happening here is they are saying its going to be a bit more thorough, so don't turn up at 14:50 and expect to walk straight in.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I always take a small rucksack with a pull thread top containing food and drink because I refuse to pay concourse prices.

As I approach my turnstile I get my ST ready, bag off shoulder, open its top and walk in. Usually the same Security guys, we joke about them not nicking my sandwiches, they have a rummage inside and let me through. Takes a matter of seconds.

Other regular bag holders walk in, tut and moan, take ages to open bag, and it takes a lot longer.

I can't see a problem.

If anybody did manage to get something in and left it on the concourse before the match or half time, with all the people around an abandoned bag would never be spotted. Better to stop it getting in altogether.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here