Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Backs

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
For me, the back 3 picks itself. Then you have Burn as a reliable backup and Østigård, who I am keen to see. Spending £25M on a centreback is, IMO, a bit redundant when we already have 4 quality centre backs on the books and a youngster eager to prove himself.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Interesting article in Argus re Porter assessing squad before potential arrivals. I expect this relates to the CB vacancy left by White going. So Potter assesses Ostigard and Roberts and gives them a chance to impress. If he feels they aren’t up to it then Nat Phillips is a potential addition. If he feels that they could do the job, then no addition. Seems sensible to me.
I wonder if Ostigard might start against Rangers to properly assess him?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Interesting article in Argus re Porter assessing squad before potential arrivals. I expect this relates to the CB vacancy left by White going. So Potter assesses Ostigard and Roberts and gives them a chance to impress. If he feels they aren’t up to it then Nat Phillips is a potential addition. If he feels that they could do the job, then no addition. Seems sensible to me.

Think the squad assessment might be be a little broader than you expect.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That is how it should be.

If we don't rate Østigård high enough for a squad place now - after a very successful year in the Champioship - it isn't unreasonable that he moves on given there is Roberts, Van Hecke, Dendoncker just behind him.

Last edited:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

In fairness I read it a couple of times and came to conclusion that it had to be referring to the defenders and those that can step up/or be loaned out (hence comments about no immediate rush). However, it is quite clear we are actively looking for a striker and a LB so there is no sense is looking at a squad in that sense as the need is an obvious one and has been referred to on many occasions by both Brian Owen and Naylor.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Yes, agree that they’ll be other decisions to be made on players regarding whether they make the squad or not, are loaned out or sold, but I think the CB assessment is the one where there is now a gap that needs to be filled and will it be someone stepping up to fill it, or a new signing. Veltman is the obvious immediate replacement to fill the Right sided centre back position but we’ll need another squad CB.
Will also be interesting to see what happens re Molumby, Connolly, Caicedo, Zeqiri, Karbo etc.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For me, the back 3 picks itself. Then you have Burn as a reliable backup and Østigård, who I am keen to see. Spending £25M on a centreback is, IMO, a bit redundant when we already have 4 quality centre backs on the books and a youngster eager to prove himself.

That £25m you mention, needs to be spent at the other end of the pitch, on someone who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Of course I know that. But it’s not an excuse for consistently slating the club and the work they’re doing like this poster does (now and last season).
Constantly slating the club? Nonsense.

There's loads to be positive about but some negatives too. That's all. Some (Barbs and Vagabond) would prefer to spin everything as totally perfect but the reality is Connolly and Maupay went backwards last year and our track record with goalscorers is very very ordinary (hence we are stuck with Locadia, have finally offloaded Ali J and have an Andone conundrum). We are heavily reliant on a very good player in Welbeck with an unfortunate injury record.

The recruitment has generally been very very good in most positions, but not up front. If that attitude is slating the club, then yes, I am slating the club. Me and probably the entire fanbase.

If being disappointed with our league position last season but still being hopeful that with a little more quality in front of goal we could smash into the top half this season is slating the club then yes, I am slating the club.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
At centre back i'd like to see us promote the one best prospect of our clutch of promising young centre backs, play him and stick with him.

We're short of cover on the flanks and up front so i'd like to see us focus our spending there.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

This should be plenty, 4 decent centre backs plus some youngsters hoping to break through

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Constantly slating the club? Nonsense.

There's loads to be positive about but some negatives too. That's all. Some (Barbs and Vagabond) would prefer to spin everything as totally perfect but the reality is Connolly and Maupay went backwards last year and our track record with goalscorers is very very ordinary (hence we are stuck with Locadia, have finally offloaded Ali J and have an Andone conundrum). We are heavily reliant on a very good player in Welbeck with an unfortunate injury record.

The recruitment has generally been very very good in most positions, but not up front. If that attitude is slating the club, then yes, I am slating the club. Me and probably the entire fanbase.

If being disappointed with our league position last season but still being hopeful that with a little more quality in front of goal we could smash into the top half this season is slating the club then yes, I am slating the club.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The club won’t commit to spending what is needed to bring in that bit of quality upfront for whatever reason, other positions are easier and cheaper to fill.

Every forward player we attempt to sign breaks down almost as quick as the news breaks. Interesting Ali J’s agent said when he signed the club told them two new forward players were also joining before the end of the window and the plan was to change the whole attack and that was a big reason they wanted AJ. Again no one came in.

I briefly read the Potter piece today and thought here we go again he said the same last summer knowing no new forward was joining and he’s a romantic whatever bollocks that means.

I really hope I’m wrong as another season of struggle will be a painful watch.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes.

We need another.

But maybe one of these lads will get the nod.

Băluță - 22
Has played centre back for the U23s 6 times. Amazing long passer. Could do the job White did at DM if needed.

Dendoncker - 20
Good name.

Van Hecke - 21
Very tall.

Roberts - 19
Left footed baller.

Østigård - 21
Impressive at Coventry.

I still think we need another Centre Back in the 1st team squad to join Dunk, Duffy, Burn, Veltman & Webster. We need a 6th man.

I’d be surprised if we sign a new CB so perhaps one of these steps up:

Băluță - 22
Where has he gone? No news. This guy is a bit of a mystery man.

Dendoncker - 20
Possibly a loan out or another year in the U23s.

Van Hecke - 21
He is injured but is highly rated. If we can’t loan him due to whatever issue he has, he might be the 6th man by default.
https://youtu.be/ticKcpnarAE

Roberts - 19
Left footed baller. But not enough action with the 1st team in pre-season for me. I think the club are looking for a Championship loan for this fella.

Østigård - 21
Impressive at Coventry but doing even better at Stoke. His next audition for the 1st team will be July 2022.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here