Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Backs

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Would mean Duffy is off.

Weird that ostigard isn’t given a chance. We have burn and veltman as centre back options too.

Unless of course burn is being lined up as a striker now? Wouldn’t put it past potter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ostigard was booked 12 times last season, not sure if he is too aggressive, was left exposed too often, has an attitude problem, or is just not good at timing his tackles, but unless it was due to having to make those last ditch, must be stopped, type tackles, it suggests he has something left to work on before he is faced with even quicker and trickier opponents.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did we not trigger an extension along with Richards (and maybe Longman)?

I thought so too.

Anyway, do we need to replace White. I know we payed three at the back last season (and I've even seen someone (Naylor?) say on Tw@tter that three at the back is GP's preferred option) - but didn't we play most of the season before that with a flat back four? Any reason why we couldn't restore Webby to the right side of a two?

After all, last season we hardly had any choice but to play three at the back, whether that was GP's preferred option or not - having turned down £25M for White we couldn't allow his value to shrink whilst warming the bench, and Dunk and Webster had made themselves undroppable.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Potter has the whole pre season to turn Duffy into a passing and blocking CB rather than just a blocking CB , he's managed to work wonders with Dunk and Burn for instance , Duffy has just under 2 years left on his contract and with a 1.2 million a year salary it would make commercial sense to at least try to make him a baller .

Perhaps Duffy can't make the step up required and that's fair enough not every player can play the way Potter wants but with White apparently leaving there may yet be a spot for Duffy in the squad .

No doubt he will now be loaned out before my straw grabbing interweb post ink has dried.

I am going to guess you didn't watch Dunk much in the Championship? Besides, Potter tried with Duffy for a season, and it was clear he wasn't comfortable, I would love it if Duffy could make that change, because we miss his aerial dominance, but I think that chance to become the defender Potter wants him to be has passed.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah Dunk has always been a really good pass. Massively underrated that part of his game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Potter has the whole pre season to turn Duffy into a passing and blocking CB rather than just a blocking CB , he's managed to work wonders with Dunk and Burn for instance , Duffy has just under 2 years left on his contract and with a 1.2 million a year salary it would make commercial sense to at least try to make him a baller .

Perhaps Duffy can't make the step up required and that's fair enough not every player can play the way Potter wants but with White apparently leaving there may yet be a spot for Duffy in the squad .

No doubt he will now be loaned out before my straw grabbing interweb post ink has dried.

Potter hasn't worked wonders with Dunk and Burn. They had those qualities beforehand. Potter simply recognised it, encouraged it, and facilitated it.
Duffy, by contrast, has always been poor on the ball, and wayward in accuracy with feet and head. He's also slow. All of that wasn't abundantly apparent due to the way we played under CH, but if you looked close and often enough, it was clear.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yeah Dunk has always been a really good pass. Massively underrated that part of his game.

He was Top 10 of central defenders for accurate short and long balls per game last season, bottom 10 (i.e. best) for inaccurate short passes and middling for inaccurate long passes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Did we not trigger an extension along with Richards (and maybe Longman)?
I wasn't referring to the year option which we triggered. I was referring to the longer contract on the table.

The thing is, what comes first ?

He doesn't sign because we are bringing in a new player to block his path.

Or... we are bringing in a new player because he doesn't sign ?

Anyway, maybe the club rate Roberts and Van Hecke higher ???

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Veltmann & Burn offer us a great opportunity in progressing such youngsters. Both will comfortably step into the side in multiple positions and offer up a 6/7 disciplined game whenever required. Either would be comfortable in an extended run but equally decent enough if a younger player like White was given a chance ahead of them to perform in training and be ready when called upon.

I will be gutted if we do sign another experienced CB as player development should be where our focus lies. Ostigard could be next in line but it is a big jump to expect 36 games from him as a replacement for White

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'd quite like someone to replace White who is good at the kind of things White was good at - extremely comfortable on the ball, bringing it out of defence, close-range accurate passing. For all Veltman's abilities that is not him, and Veltman to replace White would be a big step backwards in that position. I hope we sign someone - unless Ostigard or Roberts can be that player, I know little of them

I thought Veltman has always looked really good on the ball....

You don't come through the Ajax academy then play 200+ games for the club if you;re not comfortable on the ball.

I think you're all right.
Veltman is excellent on the ball but he can't drive/dribble up the pitch in the same way white can.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I thought Veltman has always looked really good on the ball....

You don't come through the Ajax academy then play 200+ games for the club if you;re not comfortable on the ball.

I think you're all right.
Veltman is excellent on the ball but he can't drive/dribble up the pitch in the same way white can.

Veltman is fine, similar to Webster and Dunk, but they can't hold a candle to white. Still, I guess that's why he went for 50m!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Veltman is fine, similar to Webster and Dunk, but they can't hold a candle to white. Still, I guess that's why he went for 50m!

Really? The £50m is down to the fact that he's young. For me, Dunk and Webster are currently better than White. They've got different strengths and weaknesses but I'd select Dunk and Webster over White.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
No way would he be £25 million. The French league is in total meltdown. Teams can't afford to say no to derisory offers.
Also, worrying we are looking at he and Phillips when our priority HAS to be a striker and another attacking/wide player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here