Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

centre back

kalinx

Jan 11, 2006
Realistically what sort of standard player do you think well get in for this experienced centre back role?

Any ideas who?

Ive seen gary doherty for norwich a couple of times this season and he is the sort of player i think we need - solid and positioning spot on. I know he hasnt got the pace but positioning counts for a lot

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
A Guy Butters type character. Someone who will organise our back four and bring the best out of the younger talents like Elphick.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm happy enough with Virgo, Elphick, Tunnicliffe and El-Abd as the centre backs in the squad. We don't need another, the "experienced centre back we so desperately need" is a complete myth. We didn't need one at Southampton because we defended properly, and when Gus gets us doing that more often than not then we won't have a problem. I would rather a new left winger and an attacking central midfielder who can actually make an impact on the game.

bha25

IN GUS WE TRUST !
Jan 9, 2010
Copthorne
I'm happy enough with Virgo, Elphick, Tunnicliffe and El-Abd as the centre backs in the squad. We don't need another, the "experienced centre back we so desperately need" is a complete myth. We didn't need one at Southampton because we defended properly, and when Gus gets us doing that more often than not then we won't have a problem. I would rather a new left winger and an attacking central midfielder who can actually make an impact on the game.

Virgo is crap . Elphick been poor this year. The only people doing anything this year is James and Adam thats it. We need someone like a Guy Butters yea :rave::rave:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

You do watch us very often do you?

The squad is crying out for a centre back with a bit of experience who can organise the other 3 defenders. Elphick, Tunicliffe and even El-Abd have been fairly good in their own rights this season, but as a defensive unit we lack organisation.

The squad is crying out for somebody that did the sort of job Morgan, Blackwell or Butters did for us in the past.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005

no disrespect to you but i read on a previous thread that you havent seen us ince Slade? im not counting that against you but its quite clear that there isn't a voice at the back someone who spots the danger early and can marshall good players in Tunni and Elphick as right now they are waiting for the other one to take control. Under Slade it did look like bad organisation but since Poyets arrival its clear that the experience is definitely missing. Virgo will be released in the summer as big wages and not enough games and El Abd covers all the positions so a centre back will be needed as El Abd may well be filling in at right back etc. My bet Matt Lawrence.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton

Dear God. :facepalm:

Someone like Adam Barrett (Southend) would be ideal, sort out the defence and and get his head to our corners!

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Dear God. :facepalm:

Someone like Adam Barrett (Southend) would be ideal, sort out the defence and and get his head to our corners!

is a good shout however he seems quite a commited player who probably wouldn't jump ship. Be nice if he did though.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
is a good shout however he seems quite a commited player who probably wouldn't jump ship. Be nice if he did though.

He's a Southend fan so it's not likely... But someone like him would be good, experienced at the back who is also good attacking our corners and throwing his body at the ball, something we lack.

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009

We will go down if we don't sign a centre back to sort out the defence. We cannot carry on conceding an average of 2 or 3 a game.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
He's a Southend fan so it's not likely... But someone like him would be good, experienced at the back who is also good attacking our corners and throwing his body at the ball, something we lack.

Makandawire at Orient would do that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We will go down if we don't sign a centre back to sort out the defence. We cannot carry on conceding an average of 2 or 3 a game.

Were not conceding 2-3 a game any more, I do agree though we need either a) experienced centre half or b) A defensive coach.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Actually agree. What exactly is an experienced centre back anyway? Virgo has SPL and championship experience El-Abd championship while Elphick has alot of games under his belt already. The midfield is the problem because they give opposition too much time and space on the ball which causes pressure on the defence, sort the midfield out and the pressure will be lifted. In my humble opinion anyways

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I'm not sure about this. The last thing we want is some slow old player who will be regularly skinned. A lot of our problems have been at full back. People forget how superb Borrowdale was in last season's great escape. Virgo has been poor but he looked fitter when he came on as sub at Wycombe and at Torquay he was excellent. OK if we can get another Morgan or Butters but some of the players suggested on here would be put out to grass if they were horses.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Were not conceding 2-3 a game any more, I do agree though we need either a) experienced centre half or b) A defensive coach.

Norwich 4 goals
Rushden 2 goals
Charlton 2 goals
Colchester 2 goals
Swindon 2 goals
Wycombe 2 goals.

We are NF9

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here