Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

centre back

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Actually agree. What exactly is an experienced centre back anyway? Virgo has SPL and championship experience El-Abd championship while Elphick has alot of games under his belt already. The midfield is the problem because they give opposition too much time and space on the ball which causes pressure on the defence, sort the midfield out and the pressure will be lifted. In my humble opinion anyways

Exactly. What we need is to improve our organisation as a team, the individuals are not the problem in my own humble opinion. We have almost no organisation as a team whatsoever and we are always fractured in the performance. I admit, I have only seen us play once since Slade's sacking (Swindon away), but obviously I've seen all the highlights of every game all season and it's not exactly genius analysis to spot that the majority of goals we've conceeded have been easily avoided with some decent tactical organisation. For example, how many times have we sign someone unmarked score? Our defenders and midfielders haven't always been playing the same match at the same time! Every department of the pitch off doing their own thing. Clearly, that doesn't work.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
Ac The midfield is the problem because they give opposition too much time and space on the ball which causes pressure on the defence, sort the midfield out and the pressure will be lifted. In my humble opinion anyways

But you say about midfield but in Crofts and Dicker havent we got a strong central midfield. I couldnt say that either of them deserve to be dropped and think you would struggle to (a) find a better passer and player in possession than Dicker to come in and (b) find someone as commited as crofts who I think is a major asset to our team.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But you say about midfield but in Crofts and Dicker havent we got a strong central midfield. I couldnt say that either of them deserve to be dropped and think you would struggle to (a) find a better passer and player in possession than Dicker to come in and (b) find someone as commited as crofts who I think is a major asset to our team.

I think both Dicker and Crofts are quality players and are a good midfield axis, I wouldn't for a moment suggest either should be dropped. Especially when you consider the likeliest alternative is Navarro. I think we lack tactical organisation between the midfield and the defence. The problem is the coaching, not the playing staff in my opinion. Under Wilkins we were extremely organised and we rarely got caught out defensively. We've not had that kind of organisation since he left, and we need to get it back. Under Poyet, with time, I would hope it happens. I won't hold my breath.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Makandawire at Orient would do that.

By far the best central defender to have played at Withdean this season but would be out of our price range as it is rumoured the London Premiership clubs are all following him.

Our best hope is for our existing central defenders to return to their best and do the job that we need, failing that an old player on a short term contract to the end of the season and then look again in the summer.

If we can solve the right back position without using Adam El Abd I would be inclined to use him just in front of the back four, which is the position that a lot of our problems stem from, losing the ball on or around the edge of the 18 yard box.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Makandawire at Orient would do that.

Reputation as a good player but i thought he looked complete horseshit when they played us recently.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Not sure we need one, or will get one. Virgo has got this so caled valuable experience that we need yet something is not working on the pitch for the team.
We need to work on defending and attacking as a team and alot of our problems would be resolved with a capable left midfielder playing regularly.
A solid formation would solve some vital issues across the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here