Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catching a Mouse - What am I Doing Wrong?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Unless it's a useless lump like mine. Actually, my female cat would kill one easily, but we didn't have her then.

we have three and all are basically lazy all though are now older, we feed them to well .
now kizzy when she was over 21 years was still catching mice and even a rat (cue scenes like zulu)
and males are very lazy, again fed to well

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
we have three and all are basically lazy all though are now older, we feed them to well .
now kizzy when she was over 21 years was still catching mice and even a rat (cue scenes like zulu)
and males are very lazy, again fed to well

Yes, I agree the males are lazy, although we had one called Rosco who did take on a rat, although he only wounded it, so my other half had to finish it off.
I also wonder, although very necessary, whether neutering males, kills of some of their hunting instinct.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes, I agree the males are lazy, although we had one called Rosco who did take on a rat, although he only wounded it, so my other half had to finish it off.
I also wonder, although very necessary, whether neutering males, kills of some of their hunting instinct.

harry with a mouse.jpeg

in the days when harry(harriet) was younger

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Spiders need a more robust, permanent approach to being dealt with.

Agree. Used to let them be, but with the advent of the false widow feckers, I have a stomp on sight policy for those ones now. Cat likes to chomp the harmless bigguns, but is getting on a bit now so I use the glass/paper out the window strategy. The cat still regularly gets mice though, had one cornered for weeks under the boiler in the kitchen. I think the carcass is still there. I will leave it as a warning to others.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bird food is actually the answer. A few seeds like sunflower work a treat. A humane trap for a fiver with a few seeds will tempt little Mickey and the door will close behind him. Then just take him away somewhere and let him go.

Seeds stuck in peanut butter [emoji106][emoji106]

As regards humane traps, I've tried a few different types but they don't seem to work very well. Also have the issue of having to take the offending creature at least a couple of miles away otherwise it'll simply find it's way back (apparently).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Humane trap and a piece of lettuce, works superbly well

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Peanut butter is the stuff. If you're not sure if you have an Elephant infestation, look for footprints in the butter dish.

I found an elephant in my bed the other day. How could I tell it was an elephant ? Because of the letter E on his pyjamas.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
had a problem at home a few years back and asked the professional who did my business to come round and sort it.
he laid out glue traps with a little peanut butter.

next morning, result first mouse caught.
unfortunately i didnt realise how strong these traps were, i decided to release the little chap back into the neighbours garden and went to pull him off the trap,
i basically deskinned him in one move amongst much painful squealing .

couldnt face it so luzzed the trap and the still screaming mouse over the fence and pretented it never happened

I had exactly the same situation. Trapped the mouse in one of those sticky traps (a bit like a toilet roll) and thought...well, now what ? There was no way I could peel that mouse out of there, and I didn't want to just BIN the poor creature. I didn't want to tread on it, because I'm a bit of a wimp and squimish.

So in the end, I put the sticky trap under the rear wheel of my car, and reversed over it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I had exactly the same situation. Trapped the mouse in one of those sticky traps (a bit like a toilet roll) and thought...well, now what ? There was no way I could peel that mouse out of there, and I didn't want to just BIN the poor creature. I didn't want to tread on it, because I'm a bit of a wimp and squimish.

So in the end, I put the sticky trap under the rear wheel of my car, and reversed over it.

hero ... did anyone see you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here