Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catching a Mouse - What am I Doing Wrong?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The mice (plural) in my uni room ALWAYS fell for a single chocolate raisen.

I'm properly GIRLY and plucked up the COURAGE to dispose of the CORPSE. As I pulled back the mechanism and tipped the trap towards the bin, the body of the mouse fell in and the head (with its CHOPS still around the chocolate raisen) remained on the trap.

I went straight back to girly screams.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
had a problem at home a few years back and asked the professional who did my business to come round and sort it.
he laid out glue traps with a little peanut butter.

next morning, result first mouse caught.
unfortunately i didnt realise how strong these traps were, i decided to release the little chap back into the neighbours garden and went to pull him off the trap,
i basically deskinned him in one move amongst much painful squealing .

couldnt face it so luzzed the trap and the still screaming mouse over the fence and pretented it never happened

you could have put it out of its suffering first

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My cat brought the mouse in! The silly thing brought it in, whilst still alive, stood back to admire his trophy, when the mouse, seizing it's chance, flew into a gap between the washing machine & a cupboard.

Chocolate works, as cheese is too crumbly. It was dead within one night as soon as we'd bought a trap.

answer = cat

Unless it's a useless lump like mine. Actually, my female cat would kill one easily, but we didn't have her then.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Humane traps work very well with peanut butter, the only problem is that mice will actually be able to make their way home from 2 miles away as the crow flies, so a long drive with a mouse in the passenger seat.

Alternatively I have also used the mouse zpper - one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Victor-M2524-Electronic-Mouse-Trap/B000E1RIUU

with peanut butter. After a while though the mice get a bit wary of it, especially if you leave a dead mouse in there for over a day, they seem to be able to smell dead mouse :)

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Used a humane trap with peanut butter caught the little rodent, another member of the crabface house hold decided that the mouse needed to be released as far away from the house as possible. As I was travelling the furthest that day, I was volunteered to take the mouse on a road trip.

20 minutes later appeared at the new job i had started just a few days before and got some extremely funny looks as I walked over the road from the job holding a plastic bag and letting a mouse free and into a new life.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Make sure you disinfect thoroughly, all the places where the mouse has been, as they don't have bladders, so they trail urine behind them wherever they run.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've found that this works a treat for mice. Elephants like it too, so it's handy if you get an infestation of those buggers as well.

bloody hell....that reminds of the time we caught an elephant in shoreham.....the twatt was making a right mess in between the fridge and the washing machine.....peanut butter was the blighters downfall.....took us 5 months to get rid of him in the dustbin as the local tip had a no livestock policy....how ridiculous is that....??!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we used humane mouse traps in sydney , i caught the same mouse 3 times .....he had a bit of one ear missing and a bent tail , each time i caught him i took him further away . After his second release i was reclining on the sofa with the light off......the little fecker ran ran across the kitchen door way , squeaked really loudly and did a sommersault as if to say ......**** you buddy......i had to admire his spunk so when we got him a 3rd time i drove him to Balmain 40 kms away.....we never saw him again...!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mice can squeeze themselves almost flat to get through very small spaces. They usually get in where the pipes enter a house.

I'm pretty secure overall in that respect, I suspect that a pregnant female or breeding pair sneaked in one summer when the back door was open and got under the stairs. Unless they can go through an air brick and dice themselves up then reform on the other side al la Tom and jerry, I think I'm safe enough .

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Another vote for the Rat Zapper, they won't know a thing about it and you just tip the ex-rodent into your bin.

We were told to use Dry Cat Food as using peanut butter means you have scrape it off the contact plates and then swab them with methylated spirits after each kill. Mice & Rats seem to love it as much as peanut butter.

If you have a Rat problem and you are using a Zapper it is best to bait it and not switch it on for a few times as they are quite cautious. After they have taken the bait a few times they get used to entering the Zapper and you can then activate it and its bye bye Mr Rat.
I don't follow the logic of that. Why do they need to get used to it? Surely, it would be just as dead if it was zapped on it's first visit.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
had a problem at home a few years back and asked the professional who did my business to come round and sort it.
he laid out glue traps with a little peanut butter.

next morning, result first mouse caught.
unfortunately i didnt realise how strong these traps were, i decided to release the little chap back into the neighbours garden and went to pull him off the trap,
i basically deskinned him in one move amongst much painful squealing .

couldnt face it so luzzed the trap and the still screaming mouse over the fence and pretented it never happened

I have a mate with a similar story. He wouldn't hurt a fly and got a humane trap. The mouse was duly caught and he put it on top of the car intending to drive it and release it into a mouse paradise when he'd finished what he was doing. Unfortunately, the sun came out and baked the poor thing to a crisp. He still has nightmares about it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We borrowed a couple of those plugs which emit a hypersonic click which is apparently like the mouse equivalent of listening to Piers Morgan reading his own tweets aloud.

Worked a treat immediately. Never seen em since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here