Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Casual ultras

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can see why ultras in some countries go f***ing nuts for football due to their stereotypical temperament etc, but I fail to understand how Scandinavian clubs also have insane ultras. Such mild mannered, humble folk stereotypically
I think a lot of it comes down to football being one of very few places in Scandianavian society where it is acceptable to show emotions etc, so it kind of just explodes with suppressed emotion. Another reason is that every club (in Sweden, but most in Norway are as well) is membership owned which does a lot for fan engagement. Hundreds of fans meet nearly every week to produce flags, prepare tifos and so on because it is truly their club, so if they want it to be lively and intimidating, they know that they have to do the job themselves.

Ticket prices also plays a part I think. Anyone can go to football in Allsvenskan. Apart from the biggest games, it is always possible to get a ticket for under £10. Any club board that tries to hike up the prices has a very real risk of getting voted out by the members of the club.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It is slightly bonkers to think if someone over here is caught with flares like that, they face a criminal record, a football banning order, and having to hand their passport in to police every time England play an away game.

Totally out of proportion!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not quite in topic but read in Italy there has been a spate of killings of the heads of various Ultras groups. Local organised crime ends up using the ultras groups as muscle for drug dealing and extortion. Then the heads of the groups start getting ideas above their station and the crime bosses off them. Mental stuff.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think a lot of it comes down to football being one of very few places in Scandianavian society where it is acceptable to show emotions etc, so it kind of just explodes with suppressed emotion. Another reason is that every club (in Sweden, but most in Norway are as well) is membership owned which does a lot for fan engagement. Hundreds of fans meet nearly every week to produce flags, prepare tifos and so on because it is truly their club, so if they want it to be lively and intimidating, they know that they have to do the job themselves.

Ticket prices also plays a part I think. Anyone can go to football in Allsvenskan. Apart from the biggest games, it is always possible to get a ticket for under £10. Any club board that tries to hike up the prices has a very real risk of getting voted out by the members of the club.
Interesting insight- thanks 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here