Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Clubs have often signed our targets in the past. Chelsea signed Fofana - reportedly an Albion target - in January. He made 3 appearances and they've now packed him off to Union Berlin on loan. (perhaps he'll come good ) . A year ago they poached Zak Sturge from our academy. He's yet to get anywhere near the Chelsea first team - perhaps he'd be an Albion squad player by now ? . Would Caicedo have made as much progress with Man Utd (who were after him when we signed him) .

Its also how you develop them/work with them, coach them and your pathway to the first team
This is the point. Signing our targets is quite irrelevant if you don’t have the principles and processes in place to actually develop the talent into a useful player for your first team or sale.

Most of the clubs in the top half have no hope of signing our targets and replicating what we’ve been doing. Let them waste their money.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Exactly! Fair play to them I say. If we were Lille fans we'd be saying 'rinse the back end out of those money bags'.
We know that because we did that same thing a week ago.
Nobody is going to do us a favour. We are of the best and richest clubs in the world these days.
I get this, but wanting £25m for a player who's only played 20 league games in his career is mad.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
How much of this delay is down to agents demanding fees as well? Caicedo's guy but £20m I believe

Under FIFA regulations, Agents are allowed to demand a fee of upto a maximum of 10% of the value of the transfer fee. Most will negotiate that the buying club pay this fee on top of the transfer fee.

This is standard practice and not unusual, so unlikely to come as a surprise to the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Under FIFA regulations, Agents are allowed to demand a fee of upto a maximum of 10% of the value of the transfer fee. Most will negotiate that the buying club pay this fee on top of the transfer fee.

This is standard practice and not unusual, so unlikely to come as a surprise to the club.
Indeed. We paid £8.5m in agent fees from 1/2/22 to 31/1/23

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 08.54.05.png

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think the ‘stalling’ is due to Lille not accepting our latest bid which we probably thought was as far as we’d go for a player with Baleba’s level of experience.
It’s then made very public ( via our leak to Crook) that we are now looking at other options.
Lille are now in a position where they can hold out or decide to fold and accept the bid. They’d need to do the latter before we move in formally for Lokonga. I expect a timeframe would be given.
(This is completely my guesswork and I have no pretensions of knowing the truth)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Wow, so much money sloshing around in football 🤷‍♂️

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here