Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes we are. At times both Luton and Wolves streamed through the middle of the pitch. That pushes your defence and GK back. Mac and Moises were excellent at winning the ball relatively high up the pitch and (most importantly) quickly. Moises also has the incredible ability to get back and make recovering tackles.
Let's not get complacent because we've beaten Luton and Wolves. No decent team doesn't have a genuine DM.
So did Southampton we got lucky Walcott was offside. We are never going to stop teams breaking on us to think that never happened last season would be a lie.

Just to add when Dahoud and Lallana came on at Wolves the up grade in quality was for all to see. We will be fine hopefully if we don’t get one in until January.

Last edited:

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
So did Southampton we got lucky Walcott was offside. We are never going to stop teams breaking on us to think that never happened last season would be a lie.
I think my observation from Saturday, wasn't so much the breaks when we give possession away , which I agree happened last year too, but the missed tackles in the middle of the park at times that resulted in breaks, and that is where Caicedo might be missed - tackles or "tactical" fouls. .. both opposition managers this season believed that they were in the game and the score line did not necessarily reflect significant portions of the game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No real news on whether the player still wants to come
"We signed Caicedo when he was your age, he's just gone for a British transfer record and we want YOU to replace him. We're top of the Premier League and our European campaign starts next month. Are you interested?"

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"We signed Caicedo when he was your age, he's just gone for a British transfer record and we want YOU to replace him. We're top of the Premier League and our European campaign starts next month. Are you interested?"
Nope, I have a burning ambition to reach the levels of my idol as a small child & reach my full potential bank balance. I am willing forego any moral standards to achieve this. just like my hero Cristiano Ronaldo.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes I know although my dream is to play for Man Utd, Chelsea. Liverpool Real Madrid Man City
Hold on them Arabs are going to pay me shit loads my dream move is Al-lttihad

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I do trust the club's judgement on players but £25m potentially for a player who has only played 20 games in France seems excessive to me.

I know the market is a bit mad at the moment but for £25m I'd expect a player with more experience. Wouldn't be upset if this one doesn't happen, as I suspect Lille are just looking for a Caicedo tax on this potential deal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a very British thing to only look at events from our own perspective, but if you look at Lille's position they've already spent 6mill Euros on a defensive midfielder in Miramon, another 15 mill Euros on another midfielder Haraldsson, they're 17 mill Euros down in the window and need to replace striker Timothy Weah who they just sold to Juventus.

To my mind they need to get cash in for a replacement striker just as much as we need a DCM to replace Caicedo.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
With the Diaz deal reportedly close to completion, are we likely to persue a deal for Baleba, if a deal can be done?

With my tinfoil hat on, I do wonder if our unsually public dalliance with Lille for this guy was just a ruse, a smokescreen to befuddle potential gazumpers, whilst we quietly get the Diaz signing done?

Or perhaps this guy was just our second choice backup, incase the Diaz transfer fell through?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
With the Diaz deal reportedly close to completion, are we likely to persue a deal for Baleba, if a deal can be done?

With my tinfoil hat on, I do wonder if our unsually public dalliance with Lille for this guy was just a ruse, a smokescreen to befuddle potential gazumpers, whilst we quietly get the Diaz signing done?

Or perhaps this guy was just our second choice backup, incase the Diaz transfer fell through?

Different types of midfielder by all accounts, I am 99% sure we would want both of them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Another way of looking at it is that now we've got Diaz done, we don't look so desperate, and can say to Lille, we've got sufficient resources in midfield, here's our final offer (which contains a healthy % sell-on), take it or leave it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did we reach an agreement with Lille, who have since changed their minds, or was there never an agreement in the first place?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Exactly! Fair play to them I say. If we were Lille fans we'd be saying 'rinse the back end out of those money bags'.
We know that because we did that same thing a week ago.
Nobody is going to do us a favour. We are one of the best and richest clubs in the world these days.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here