Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Come on Rotherham, give us a goal . . . .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Could be a lot lot worse. I would have hoped for a win today, because Tuesday is the harder match of the two.

Really? Bristol Titties are on a good run, but at this stage of the season there's a reason why they are 5th bottom and Cardiff are 7th.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would agree if we had been poor to start with but we weren't. Cardiff looked very poor, one defensive howler and our players turned them into world beaters. Not the managers fault.

Quite. I'm sure I heard the Sky commentator describe the first goal as 'against the run of play'. Doesn't help much, I know, but such small margins change games,

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
On reflection, I think we tried to play 4-1-4-1 in this game and I think this is why it went all wrong! 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 (best*) are all OK, but not 4-2-4 or 4-1-4-1 (even when defending a lead).
The 1 between the defence and midfield can't cover the width of the pitch and by the simple expedient of switching the ball over to the other side of the pitch the opposition can pass around this man.

We saw earlier in the season whn Rohan Ince was brought on to defend a lead and he seemed lost to what he had to do.

(* requires three good midfielders, not two like we've got, and needs an overlapping left back as well.)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
On reflection, I think we tried to play 4-1-4-1 in this game and I think this is why it went all wrong! 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 (best*) are all OK, but not 4-2-4 or 4-1-4-1 (even when defending a lead).
The 1 between the defence and midfield can't cover the width of the pitch and by the simple expedient of switching the ball over to the other side of the pitch the opposition can pass around this man.

We saw earlier in the season whn Rohan Ince was brought on to defend a lead and he seemed lost to what he had to do.

(* requires three good midfielders, not two like we've got, and needs an overlapping left back as well.)
That is how we played and it left the defence horribly exposed and Zamora isolated - should have made a change at 2-0

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Murphy 2 in 2
Hemed 2 in 2
King Kayal even scored last time out and generally playing well.

Remove and rest players sure, but not those bang in form.

Kayal was taken off injured v Hull and hadn't completely recovered. Not sure why he was on the bench, surely being 3-0 down inside the first half would make you think 'things are bad enough to risk him'. So I think we have to allow for that change.

The only possible argument I can think of for Murphy is how he supposedly doesn't play well when he has Calderon behind him (though I think that was people finding an excuse for him during a poor patch, so not sure that is a legitimate argument).

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Interesting to compare comments after last regular League defeat to some of the almost hysterical reaction today, much more philosophical and accepting. Are we simply expecting too much?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting to compare comments after last regular League defeat to some of the almost hysterical reaction today, much more philosophical and accepting. Are we simply expecting too much?

I think it's just an over balance of all the doom & gloom merchants out tonight.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Probably yes. The bar was set high last season and the last two league performances have been well below that bar. Maybe we should reset our sights on hoping to get into the top 6.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Newcastle was always going to be tough. I thought we played better with 10 men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here