Car stereo theiving question

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aug 21, 2011
My mate has just gone out and got a snazzy new car stereo installed in his car.
We have just been having a conflab on whether it is worth the hassle of detaching the front face plate every time he parks the car in order to deter theives. As this involves unclipping (and an awkward mechanism when re attaching) it taking it out of the car and then trying to remember to bring it back when he next uses it.
He lives in the Hanover area of Brighton.
Thing is do people bother nicking car stereos any more?
Just thought I would pose this to the NSC faithfull as to what others do.

Dktr Faustus

Feb 14, 2012
Worthing
Depends on what's the make, model and colour of the car is. Reg number might be helpful. Oh, and what road is it parked in, exactly?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
What I'm saying is, why risk breaking into a car and then hoping something of worth is there? Surely they want to grab and run? Not have a tea break? Shirley?

I had my stereo stolen twice up in Portslade, both times they took the stereo from the glovebox.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure stereos get nicked that often these days? I rarely hear of it at work.

The car itself is more likely to go, or a break-in targeting something else that's left on view (sat navs, phones, wallets).

No harm taking the panel off but it doesn't seem to be as prolific a crime as it used to be.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I always take the front panel off my stereo and hide it under the seat. The excess on my insurance for a car stereo is higher than the value of my stereo so it's not like I'd be able to claim anything anyway.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
It can't take that much time to whip off the front panel can it? I had mine nicked after perhaps the second time i'd left it on in the six months i had it. A bit silly but also pretty bad luck as my car was parked on a quiet street in steyning and the thieves had gone down the road breaking into almost every car to see what was inside.

Moral of thr story: you just never know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whatever happened to the word "snazzy", by the way?

Fair play to the O/P for reviving it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its a crime that is reducing thanks to the huge amount of effort by manufacturers to make cars and car stereos etc more secure. I think its fair to say that there is virtually no point in stealing a factory fitted CD/Radio as all the codeings render it almost useless. The only problem arises when some Phat Boy wants to pimp up his Jam wiv a fat arse exhaust and super woofers and a bangin sound system, then it seems its fair game.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A couple of years ago my mate had his side window put in and the stereo stolen out of his car.

Thing is he had the front plate with him. He was pretty pi$$ed off that they still bothered to steal it after finding out that the front plate wasn't there.

I need to replace mine as the Ford fitted one is knackered. I am concerned it will make the car more likely to be broken into.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've never taken the front off mine and I paid over FORTY POUNDS for it from Argos so it must be a temptation to the local thieves.

A mate of mine never left anything in his car and used to leave it unlocked; more than once he came back to find the glove box open where someone had opened it up to have a look.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry involves what? its not just a push button to release the face panel, as seen in stereos since the 90's. do any stereos (of value) not have this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports