Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car parking and stewarding.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Appreciate due to work & people travelling Long distances they couldn't get to car parks much before 7pm but sometimes people need to use their sweed in situations like last night, I knew it would be a nightmare due to all the train problems so I did a bit of forward planning and thought to myself "I know what I'll do I'll leave for the Amex extra early tonight to avoid all the aggro"
So got to uni car park at 5:45 a leisurely stroll to Dicks Bar for Steak pie and a pint before I went to my seat at 7:30
It's like anything really if you wanna get your towel on a sunbed on holiday round a pool you gotta get up early, FORWARD PLANNING

And what would happen if everybody did that? The same chaos! There's not room in Dick's Bar for everyone so where do you suggest people go? The simple fact is that the biggest cause of stress and complaint for supporters are the travel/parking arrangements. The suggestion that the club meets representatives of supporters using each of the different transport methods is a good one but there appears to be a complacency amongst transport officials that suggests it will not happen.

If I get a ticket for a gig in London midweek I'll have half a day of work so it gives me plenty of time to get there in case any delays and can enjoy a few drinks and a meal before the event FORWARD PLANNING

That's great for you, I guess you have either built a business for yourself(fair play) or tesco's found someone to cover your shift!;-)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
As you say, work does tend to get in the way sometimes. We can't all get to the car park two hours before kick off. As I said in my OP, it took over 3/4 of an hour to travel a few hundred yards last night because if piss poor organisation.

Complete joke.
Yeah I'm not having a dig at people with work commitments or distances to travel
But sometimes people just think they'll turn up at their usual time of 7pm drive straight to car park park car no problem, but with all the chaos on trains and lack of park & ride last night it was obvious the Uni car park was gonna be at bursting point and eventual chaos
I've had the uni season ticket now for 3 years and never had a problem except the other cup game against Reading where like last night the car park was at bursting point and a nightmare getting out
So I've just come to the conclusion now that I need to get to the car park earlier for any future cup games

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Here Here !!

Better still, survey all STHs - then act on the information provided.

Unfortunately the person in charge of transport, at the Amex isn't interested in listening, and doesn't see any problems or issues.

Until his attitude changes, I hold out little hope of improvements.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Must be great having a nice new stadium like the Amex. :drool:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Must be great having a nice new stadium like the Amex. :drool:

It's wonderful, thanks.

22000 STH, over 20k for a Monday night game, live on TV.

Unlike some grounds where I am informed one of the stands looks set to be closed at the end of the season due to H&S and another is slowly sinking.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
And what would happen if everybody did that? The same chaos! There's not room in Dick's Bar for everyone so where do you suggest people go? The simple fact is that the biggest cause of stress and complaint for supporters are the travel/parking arrangements. The suggestion that the club meets representatives of supporters using each of the different transport methods is a good one but there appears to be a complacency amongst transport officials that suggests it will not happen.

Swan pub, seven stars bar Dicks bar and concourses selling alcohol & food with tv screens showing sky sports and earlier kick offs when games on
On your other point about transport I've found the best method for myself to get to the Amex by using the Uni car park if I found that didn't work for me I'd choose another means of travel that would suit me better until I found the best option, I can't believe after 3 years of going to the Amex now people still haven't found there best means of transport

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Appreciate due to work & people travelling Long distances they couldn't get to car parks much before 7pm but sometimes people need to use their sweed in situations like last night, I knew it would be a nightmare due to all the train problems so I did a bit of forward planning and thought to myself "I know what I'll do I'll leave for the Amex extra early tonight to avoid all the aggro"
So got to uni car park at 5:45 a leisurely stroll to Dicks Bar for Steak pie and a pint before I went to my seat at 7:30
It's like anything really if you wanna get your towel on a sunbed on holiday round a pool you gotta get up early, FORWARD PLANNING

Got there well before 7. The queue from the a27 was already very long and due to the traffic light sequence took forever to move. You say the car park was 'bursting'. It wasn't, it was oversold. Didn't you see the number of cars parked up on banks, and undesignated spaces when you returned? Many of the people who use the uni car park have kids, it's simply not an option for many of these to get there hours early, it would be a nightmare. But, at least you were okay.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Swan pub, seven stars bar Dicks bar and concourses selling alcohol & food with tv screens showing sky sports and earlier kick offs when games on
On your other point about transport I've found the best method for myself to get to the Amex by using the Uni car park if I found that didn't work for me I'd choose another means of travel that would suit me better until I found the best option, I can't believe after 3 years of going to the Amex now people still haven't found there best means of transport

you can plan as much as u like but the problem at the uni had a knock on effect to coldean lane which buggered up my ''best means of transport''

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That's a ridiculous comment regarding finding the best method of transport for a person. What if the best for a person IS the university parking but the organisation of the stewards etc caused/causes problems? You seem to have missed the point of this thread completely.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I understand where you are coming from, but all I am saying is that there are loads of ways that transport could be improved at the stadium. No additional costs to the club.

Unfortunately, the club don't see an issue, so that's that. Shame, as it will cost them in the long run.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
you can plan as much as u like but the problem at the uni had a knock on effect to coldean lane which buggered up my ''best means of transport''

Passengers were getting off the 25s & walking because the traffic was at a standstill. We got on one at 6.20 in Old Steine & only just made kick off.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have had correspondence him regarding transport issues at The Amex before, but unfortunately he sees no problems, there are, according to him no issues with transport, and in his opinion all the stewards are doing a great job. I wonder how many times he or any of his team have tried the various methods of transport to/from the stadium?

I wonder whether the club would meet a delegation of people who use various methods of transport... P&R, local busses, trains, Uni parking, coaches, Bennett's field, bridge car park etc to discuss how things could be improved.

At the moment the club are burying their heads in the sand, and it could possibly start to put those who buy on a match by match basis off,maybe even affect ST sales.

I've also had dialogue with him and gave up as I tired of his patronising but quite obviously disinterested responses. I suggested he might get a group of fans together who use different forms of transport, hear their views and take any sensible ones away for consideration. He could do this quarterly, feedback on progress and get feedback on anything new put in place, listen to new ideas etc etc etc

Meeting "customers" and getting their views is 1.01 in any business, but it seems to have passed the TM by

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here