Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Hire USA

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
All I know is I got talked into upgrading from the 'bought and paid for' fly -drive mid sized hatchbacky type thing to a convertible for about 2 hundred dollars more for the fortnight. August in Florida is not convertible weather, SO hot you couldn't have the roof down...waste of money! Another thing, for gods sake don't lock your keys in the car...another 50 dollars I seem to remember.

Car hire 3.000. Fantastic, helpful and will give you an upgrade for free. Take out their extra insurance as some of the American drivers are awful. This will cover any excess if you have an accident and they will replace yr car if necessary.

Last edited:

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
use Car Hire 3000 for the last 6 or 7 times, always had Dollar rental vehicles, give you a choice of car when you arrive from the category you have paid for. No extras to pay when you return the car either and no hard sell? Great service!

Jul 7, 2003
Another recommendation for Carhire3000 - good deals and service. Just don't get suckered into upgrading or adding extras when you pick the car up.

Also, make sure you get the right size car in the first place for the luggage you will be carrying. I've seen so many arguments in Florida with families who don't realise that while their van will carry eight people it won't have space for seven large suitcases and all their hand luggage as well. We use high quality barrel bags now rather than cases as they are more flexible for fitting into the boot. They also often come off first at baggage reclaim which is a bonus.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Thanks for the sites I will check them later,

but what is still confusing is most of the sites say CDW covered some even mention no excess but some people are taking out more insurance?? Why??

It was easier when I was I the RAF if we needed a car in the states it was all done on account!!

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Did this last year with Alamo - pre-paid for a voucher over t'interweb after checking that they came out cheapest, and it all worked perfectly. Turned up at LAX with the voucher and was away quickly - after turning down the desperate attempts to get me to upgrade to a SUV by the salesman (I think commission is based on the upgrades they sell at the airport).

But no problems at all and all worked perfectly - sixth rental with Alamo in California and never had any problems with them,.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you have good travel insurance, you won't need CDW. Just check out what you have there first, then work out what you need from the car rental place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you have good travel insurance, you won't need CDW. Just check out what you have there first, then work out what you need from the car rental place.

Not an expert but wouldn't have thought that travel insurance would cover CDW personal injury yes but not CDW. If it does I would think that it would be expensive combined with travel insurance. I know a chap whose job it is to find a reason that disqualifies a person from getting paid out by Europ Assisance so if you do it and dont tell them beware as they may not meet your claim.

Last edited:

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Some suppliers give you free one way drop offs too, I know Carhire3000 do if you are starting from California? Maybe worth a look? If that applies to OP?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not an expert but wouldn't have thought that travel insurance would cover CDW personal injury yes but not CDW.

Not sure, I just know what I have and it covers CDW, and actually advertises that you can decline all CDW on hire cars, as this covers me. Not cheap, but does the job.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm going to the US in september doing a road trip from san fran to vegas. I've been looking at car hire recently for it but unfortunately all of us that are going will be under 25 and im struggling to find anywhere that won't charge an extra $25 a day as under 25 insurance. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to find a reasonable company to rent from or is there no way round this mugging?!

This is why me and my brother are going to the States in September just after our 25th birthday. Didn't fancy paying and extra £120 or so to hire a car whilst being 24.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I remember the last time I hired in the States had to have a credit card with a considerable amount of spending available on it, but may have changed now.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Always use Alamo/National (same people) - sometimes get a free upgrade if it's all they have in but never ever pay for an upgrade on the spot and never buy added insurance. Always had great service and good value

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beware I flew to Miami on a holiday once when going to get the car was told my card was stopped. I asked for it back and they refused and said they got a reward for stopped cards as the chap had a pistol at his side I didn't argue. Went to another company at the airport and got the car with mothers card, thought no more about it and said I would sort it when I got home. I had asked son to pay the card up and thought that he may have been late doing it. When I got home I found out that the card was ok but had been used by that garage up to its limit while I was away. I got the money back but the solicitors charges for doing it meant I still lost a lot of money. So as a warning insist the card is cut up in front of you if it happens to you. Granted this was about 10 -12 years ago so things may have changed since then.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Thanks for the sites I will check them later,

but what is still confusing is most of the sites say CDW covered some even mention no excess but some people are taking out more insurance?? Why??

It was easier when I was I the RAF if we needed a car in the states it was all done on account!!

Car hire insurance offered by the rental car company normally includes cover for Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Theft, you are still liable to pay the first portion of the repair or replacement costs. This is also known as the excess or deductable.

The excess amount on insurance for car hire typically ranges from between £500 and £1,600, so if your excess is £500 and someone drives into the back of you causing damage of 750, you will have to pay 500.

So you can buy insurance to cover the excess. I would advise that you do as once in California I was landed with a $750 bill for the excess as a result of some burke driving into the back of me.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Thanks for the replies.

This was taken from the 3000 website
"Your rental includes Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection with zero excess.
You will be required to leave a deposit when collecting the vehicle"

so I assume there is no excess?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the replies.

This was taken from the 3000 website
"Your rental includes Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Protection with zero excess.
You will be required to leave a deposit when collecting the vehicle"

so I assume there is no excess?

probably a sizeable amount on a credit card could well be in excess of $1000

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This is why me and my brother are going to the States in September just after our 25th birthday. Didn't fancy paying and extra £120 or so to hire a car whilst being 24.

Your doing a road trip from san fran to vegas and bothered about £120 ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here