[TV] Captain Sir Tom Moore - *Died 2 Feb 2021*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I hate this kind of post, especially when the subject is ill, but I'm afraid you make some relevant points.
I did not know that he went to Barbados, i find that incredible, that the man who did so much to raise awareness and money for the NHS and a real figurehead for doing the right thing.
No way would he have said lets go to Barbados for Christmas at 100.
This stinks.
I really hope he pulls through, unlike my mum a while back who had exactly the same issues as Tom but was 20 years younger, medication is better now than then and it was only May 2020.
Don't assume that being 100 years old makes you gaga. From what I have seen and heard of Tom Moore, he had a mind capable of making decisions for himself.

Maybe he knew that he is old and that he will certainly die in the relatively near future. (Hopefully not the very immediate future, but the average man on his 100th birthday has only a 60% chance of reaching 101.) Maybe he doesn't like being trapped in his house for months on end as he comes to the end of his life and rather fancied the idea of a fortnight in Barbados in the middle of winter. Maybe he likes the sun.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I hate this kind of post, especially when the subject is ill, but I'm afraid you make some relevant points.
I did not know that he went to Barbados, i find that incredible, that the man who did so much to raise awareness and money for the NHS and a real figurehead for doing the right thing.
This stinks.
I really hope he pulls through, unlike my mum a while back who had exactly the same issues as Tom but was 20 years younger, medication is better now than then and it was only May 2020.

Difficult to reconcile the two sides to this story. Yes he did a fantastic job fundraising and I don't blame his family for being around when he was with the press. He served his country well, above and beyond as they say. However, I cannot understand for the life of me why the Barbados trip! Some say it was on his bucket list. Some say he earned it. If he did, his family certainly didn't. We don't know when he tested positive, the time frame would suggest he probably didn't get it on the trip but what we don't know is when they returned! You don't go to Barbados for a couple of days over xmas! He could have picked it up on the flight back, his family could have picked it up on the flight back and then he picked it up from them. He could have picked it up from someone at the home he lives at, we'll probably never know.

I hope he recovers but the signals coming out seem to suggest otherwise.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

He might be 100 but he isn't senile and very much requested to go to Barbados before his death and someone stumped up the cash.

He travelled first class on the Dec 11 when the travel corridor was still open (from a Tier 2 area) as did many others rich enough to go, including Piers Morgan (and family) and Paul McCartney.

At the time there was absolutely no restriction or advice not to go beyond having to prove he had a test on arrival.

Unless the family travelled back in the last few weeks, I doubt very much the infection has anything to do with the trip. The timings don't add up.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He might be 100 but he isn't senile and very much requested to go to Barbados before his death and someone stumped up the cash.

He travelled first class on the Dec 11 when the travel corridor was still open (from a Tier 2 area) as did many others rich enough to go, including Piers Morgan (and family) and Paul McCartney.

At the time there was absolutely no restriction or advice not to go beyond having to prove he had a test on arrival.

Unless the family travelled back in the last few weeks, I doubt very much the infection has anything to do with the trip. The timings don't add up.

You don't need to be senile to make bad decisions!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe his family took him to Barbados...

Well BA were all over it.....he was in First, with a personalised headrest napkin so it doesn’t look like a simple family holiday.....I don’t have the remotest issue with him going away, regardless of how it was paid for though. It was pre-lockdown anyway, they didn’t do anything that wasn’t permitted.

He was already being treated for pneumonia (for quite a while apparently) before he tested positive - quite possible it was transmitted by carers dealing with that. Who knows..........:shrug: Hope the old boy pulls through.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Maybe his family took him to Barbados...

It was all over the press at the time.

I frowned at anyone going anywhere at the time, but there was a travel corridor and thousands of others were doing the same.

I'm pretty sure British Airways paid for the lot and flew them to probably the safest destination at the time.

Whatever anyone's personal feelings about the appropriateness of the holiday, I doubt very much it has anything to do with his illness.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was all over the press at the time.

I frowned at anyone going anywhere at the time, but there was a travel corridor and thousands of others were doing the same.

I'm pretty sure British Airways paid for the lot and flew them to probably the safest destination at the time.

Whatever anyone's personal feelings about the appropriateness of the holiday, I doubt very much it has anything to do with his illness.

Quite. I think the original comment was a bit unwarranted and more worthy of Argus Comments than here.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Don't assume that being 100 years old makes you gaga. From what I have seen and heard of Tom Moore, he had a mind capable of making decisions for himself.

Maybe he knew that he is old and that he will certainly die in the relatively near future. (Hopefully not the very immediate future, but the average man on his 100th birthday has only a 60% chance of reaching 101.) Maybe he doesn't like being trapped in his house for months on end as he comes to the end of his life and rather fancied the idea of a fortnight in Barbados in the middle of winter. Maybe he likes the sun.

Unintentionally it did look as if i thought that at 100 he was incapable, but I knew he was great for his age.
I knew nothing about this and I was reacting to another post, now more is known about it.
But something does not sit right with me about it, maybe it was on his bucket list, maybe he asked to go but for an old gent to travel that far when the virus is so unpredictable and our borders should have been locked rather than having look at me travel corridors, seems a bit silly to me.
Hope he recovers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Gave the nation a lift when it badly needed one last year. RIP.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is sad news

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP, inspirational man

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Guess we all thought it would happen. Cracking innings though and rightly some recognition at the end. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports