Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can we talk about VAR?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
To be fair I think we should be aiming for better than 'fine'. I agree with both suggestions for improvement.

I think the that one of the problems is the subjective decisions. People are never going to agree at the best of times. Couple this is clear bias towards ones own team and a severe lack of understanding of the rules of the game from many viewers, and pundits. What you end up with is a load of half back opinions. This was the same without VAR though and will never be successfully dealt with.
Tut severe lack of understanding laws and not rules

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Most of the time VAR is fine. This season seems to be better and most weeks it is not mentioned. Then something controversial happens and it's 'not fit for purpose' etc etc .

The question is (or should be): are we getting more or less decisions correct with it or without it?

Surely this data exists somewhere?

Most of the time decisions on the pitch were fine without VAR, the goals that are being ruled out with VAR seem to be goals that no one was really complaining about, most sensible people wouldn’t moan if a goal was given and then on a reply a finger was off side.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most of the time decisions on the pitch were fine without VAR, the goals that are being ruled out with VAR seem to be goals that no one was really complaining about, most sensible people wouldn’t moan if a goal was given and then on a reply a finger was off side.
Statistically you're probably right but which way a throw in goes aren't the decisions that were causing problems. VAR should be driving up refereeing standards but that doesn't appear to be happening. You can forgive a ref for missing things in real time but when they still can't see it on replays that's a concern. Hopefully Howard Webb may have an impact on standards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here