Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can we talk about VAR?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
First of all, the referee not even giving a free-kick for that foul on Kane boggles the mind.

But because he didn't blow, VAR is then completely unable to tell him to award a free-kick and book their defender? Just pen or no pen. So in these most crucial match situations, the game is arguably more susceptible to bad on-field decisions. VAR has made this worse.

How many times have we seen blatant offsides not given because the lino's got to let the game flow just in case. Then when it goes out for a corner or a player gets injured in a totally unnecessary passage of play, they shrug their shoulders "just following the rules mate".

It's got to change hasn't it?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It was a dive by Kane. The ref called it correctly so VAR was only used to confirm the decision. Either you believe in VAR or you don’t. If you do then the only solution would be to have another VAR to check on the check and so on and so on until you get the decision you want. Or just let the ref do his job and get rid of it completely (my preferred solution).

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I thought offsides were going to be an automatic system as goal line tech. I s'pose it's on it's way... shrug. The rest still down to opinions, some cannot be exact, as how hard do you push a player before he falls over.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It was a dive by Kane. The ref called it correctly so VAR was only used to confirm the decision. Either you believe in VAR or you don’t. If you do then the only solution would be to have another VAR to check on the check and so on and so on until you get the decision you want. Or just let the ref do his job and get rid of it completely (my preferred solution).
Are you sure?

I thought it was foul on Kane but just outside the box. VAR may well have been of the same opinion so decided no penalty. Very annoying but we don't want a situation where VAR is getting involved with every decision all over the pitch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are you sure?

I thought it was foul on Kane but just outside the box. VAR may well have been of the same opinion so decided no penalty. Very annoying but we don't want a situation where VAR is getting involved with every decision all over the pitch.
Soft foul, and outside the box so ref got it almost right (subjective decision on the foul) and VAR got it right (not a pen as outside the box anyway) IMO

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ref was awful saka was definitely fouled prior to the first goal, and that passage of play ended in the goal. I think the Kane one was a foul but probably just outside the box. Still should have been a free kick in a dangerous position, but var can’t award free kicks. I don’t know why it wasn’t a red for the foul that led to the second penalty. Luck or the ref were certainly not on our side.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
safe to say VAR has not brought an overall improvement, its net negative on the game. its rules appear arbitary (even if very clear on paper) and subjective, influencing how refs call things (they can err against a decision to leave it to VAR).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm assuming that, if England won, the referee wouldn't have been a problem...

Plus we all know Kane has got previous in a Spuds shirt, the cheating and diving lump.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The principle of VAR is fine it's just the mugs that operate it. It was a foul on Kane, in my opinion, so then it's a case of was it in or was it outside the area. Kane's foot was just outside but I would suggest the contact was higher up the leg and that part was over the line. However, we never had any indication that VAR checked the incident. Also, quite clearly a foul on Saka where the French gained possession, went up the other end and scored. VAR should have checked and disallowed the goal.

That said, Kane should have scored the pen.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Here's my (impractical) solution to the crock of shite that VAR has now become at the World Cup as well as in England (it wasn't too intrusive in 2018).

I was a fan in theory as it meant the really shocking mistakes would be overturned. Instead, as a 'jobsworth' mentality is the only way for referees to progress nowadays - common sense no longer allowed - we're stuck with a bunch of pedants building up their part, rather than fading into the background where they should be. So...

VAR should be a panel of 3 for penalty/red card decisions. No discussion allowed. They see the first couple of replays and each press a button, yay or nay, on whether the ref has cocked up. ONLY if all 3 agree, does VAR step in. Otherwise, almost all of the time, the game just cracks on. In those circumstances, you could even have an ex-pro included. Yes, it's more people but the fact they all have to agree instantly means the really subjective calls get filtered out.

Or we could all have a button each on our seats :p

scooter1

How soon is now?
The problem with scrapping it is that every contentious decision will face trial by television anyway. VAR is here to stay, the powers that be just need to use it correctly - and for me, therein lies the problem

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
First of all, the referee not even giving a free-kick for that foul on Kane boggles the mind.

But because he didn't blow, VAR is then completely unable to tell him to award a free-kick and book their defender? Just pen or no pen. So in these most crucial match situations, the game is arguably more susceptible to bad on-field decisions. VAR has made this worse.
There are issues with VAR, but I don't think it's made decisions like that one worse. We also correctly got the second penalty, thanks to VAR.

How many times have we seen blatant offsides not given because the lino's got to let the game flow just in case. Then when it goes out for a corner or a player gets injured in a totally unnecessary passage of play, they shrug their shoulders "just following the rules mate".
No, that wouldn't be following the rules, that would be an error, and isn't something we see much of. It seems you don't understand the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here