Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can a goalie only handle the ball in his own box

Snarkey5

Banned
Feb 8, 2011
a lot of goalkeepers spend hours a day practasing the punch goal, where they go up for a late corner, and, punch the ball into the oppos goal

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Haha oh my god are you female?

Aww, so sad when someone has not yet encountered a female in ones life, or one would have known that females are all knowing. So it wasnt just that there was no mother, it was an all boys school as well. Tragic.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
watching the Oldham Everton game when the Oldham goalie came up for the last corner and jumped with his hands in the air as if by force of habit. Just wondering if he had punched it in would the goal have stood

Yes a goalie can handle the ball in the opposition penalty box but only if he's standing on one leg if the left leg isn't raised at all times then that's deemed as handball

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yes, yes it would. Keepers are allowed to handle it in either box. In fact, had he caught the cross, and dived over the goal line, gridiron-style, that too, would have counted.

I don't bel-ievve it. Surely some keepers would have tried this on.

There have been keepers who have scored late on, the goalie for Carlisle (Jimmy Glass) who kept them up for one. But they were all conventional.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No he can take a throw in !

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
I can officially confirm that a Goalkeeper can handle the ball in either box, but only with the "half volley" technique mentioned earlier. To clear up any confusion this technique is essentially a catch by the keeper who then throws the ball up for himself and finishes off the effort with a neat punch into the opposing goal.

A little known fact is that only the winning teams keeper is able to utilise this ability. For example if the game is a tie or if the goalkeeper is on the losing team then the goal will NOT stand. Thus, it is rarely used by teams as it is in desperation that the losing team's keeper ventures up the field in search for an equalising or winning goal. Many goalkeepers have voiced their frustration over this.

I hope that clears things up.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
A goalkeeper can handle the ball if he leaves his area by walking along the lines of the pitch. In theory he could run all the way down the throw in line, turn at the corner flag, enter the opposition penalty area where he is free to wander around as in his own box. He could then simply throw the ball in the net.

In practice though it's quite easy to knock him off the line with a shoulder to shoulder challenge. Or you can just stand in the way, so you don't see it often.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I believe in Cricket you are only allowed to handle your own balls in your own box. Putting your hands in other players boxes is frowned on during play.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe in Cricket you are only allowed to handle your own balls in your own box. Putting your hands in other players boxes is frowned on during play.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well can he?

Well, no. He can handle all sorts of other things there too - his gloves, his cap, towel (you know, they hang it off the netting), and quite often they're allowed to get away with handling opposition strikers, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here