Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cameron v Miliband v Clegg: the official Question Time match thread

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think that's a fair reflection. I agree with that. Ed will come across as a politician who stands firm on his promises & will win the re-run.

I dont at all, Martin Winters books says he's shifty and devious (and he's not the only one, they all are).... he was also ruthless in the leadership election in doing a deal with the unions at the expense of his bother.

Milliband and Cameron, and Osbourne and Balls and most from Lab/Cons are all from the same political schools of acting, its a parlour game of punch and judy where coaches train them in how to convey themselves, what to say "to resonate with the voters" and stick to the party line etc.

Milliband is about as genuine as a Bangkok Rolex as is Dave, theyre both party Salesmen...... You think a career politician like Milliband who went to such lengths to get the leadership, to such lengths to cling on in the face of mutiny in his party, when presented with his one and only chance in a lifetime to be PM of Britiain is going to turn it down on something he promised or on principle?

Youre mad if you think he's genuine, he wont, his ambition far outweighs any words spoke in an election campaign, power is EVERYTHING, the party will find a way to spin it..... "we had no choice due to the instability, the markets were dropping, there was a real threat to jobs, so in the national interest we had to take the difficult choice blah blah"

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes I have difficulty engaging with this sort of crass stupidity I'm afraid. So anybody who expresses a view that opposes yours is crassly stupid and talking rubbish. If you don't mind my saying, that sounds a little bigoted.

Here's an idea: read my post. You're not "getting involved in any reasoned debate" yourself, because you are talking rubbish. You are suggesting most (you are the only one to have used the word 'most') people using foodbanks have a choice between buying food and buying gadgets. I know for a fact that they don't. My wife delivers the foodbank stock collected from St Marks's church in Reigate to St Matthew's church in Redhill where the foodbank runs from. How many more times do you need to say this - its a bit like Cameron repeatedly throwing in the subject of his sick son when referring to the NHS. She talks to and sees these people. By and large, these people are desperate and ashamed to be there. They are not turning up at foodbanks just so that they can keep their mobile phones or to go down the pub.

So therefore, aside from the answer being obvious to the vast majority of us and foodbank users (yes, basics before luxuries), your follow up question is also completely irrelevant. Of course it is - what a neat way to avoid having to answer. Oh and by the way, how is handing in my mobile phone (resale values of maybe £100?) going to put food on the table for a family of four the next 3 months? But it would avoid having to loot £100 of donated food that could go to a deserving family - never mind any monthly charges.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Labour will then talk to the Lib Dems, with a combined total of c300 seats, and they'll form a coalition, seeking support from the SNP on an issue-by-issue basis.

which Miliband ruled out last night. "issue by issue" is effectivly the same as confidence and supply, because they have to negotiate that the SNP bloc dont vote against it. Miliband ruled out a functional Labour government last night, unless of course he goes back on those statements and makes an arrangment with SNP. i fully expect this to be the case, and when we have the next election he'll be beaten with that stick the same way Liberals get beat with tutition fees.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think it's a calculated gamble. The amount of footsoldiers labour have on the ground this time is huge and they're targeting efforts.

I think the snp factor has played this last week and also in Scotland many waverers from.Labour to snp are saying it doesn't matter which one I vote for, I will get the same government.

It may backfire, but if they do well in the marginals and avoid wipeout in Scotland it may mean that a minority government with some concessions to get lib dem etc on side will be enough. The lib dem redlines are all labour friendly policies

It's certainly a huge gamble, because if the Tories win the most seats, Clegg will talk first to the Tories, and together with the DUP they may cobble together a coalition.

Miliband is gambling that by ruling out a coalition, or indeed any type of agreement with the SNP, he's hoping that SNP voters, fearing a Tory government will switch back to Labour.

It may work - but saying what he's said gives him very little wriggle room post election if he does need the SNP.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So anybody who expresses a view that opposes yours is crassly stupid and talking rubbish. If you don't mind my saying, that sounds a little bigoted.
No, not anybody who expresses a view opposite to mine - just this particular view of yours which is crass, stupid and rubbish. Glad to have cleared that up.

you are the only one to have used the word 'most'
That's right. Your post implied as much, which is why five people quoted you to ridicule what you wrote.

How many more times do you need to say this - its a bit like Cameron repeatedly throwing in the subject of his sick son when referring to the NHS.
I've only said it a grand total of twice. Ever. Until this thread, I've never mentioned it at all. No wonder you want to highlight it and turn it into a negative, it's quite clearly something you yourself have no experience of.

Of course it is - what a neat way to avoid having to answer
Eh? It is totally irrelevant, but I answered it anyway. So now what are you moaning about?

But it would avoid having to loot £100 of donated food that could go to a deserving family.
I refer you to the fuller answer [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] gave, which you have so far ignored.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's certainly a huge gamble, because if the Tories win the most seats, Clegg will talk first to the Tories, and together with the DUP they may cobble together a coalition.

Miliband is gambling that by ruling out a coalition, or indeed any type of agreement with the SNP, he's hoping that SNP voters, fearing a Tory government will switch back to Labour.

It may work - but saying what he's said gives him very little wriggle room post election if he does need the SNP.

correct, Milliband will do the deal if thats what it takes to walk into number 10 and Dave will be forced to raise taxes if the economy bombs.

both of these pledges designed to shore up support are utterly unrealistic if certain circumstances prevail

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Clegg said that he give first dibs on forming a Government to the Party with the most seats/most votes.

As has been shown before, he'll drop his knickers to anyone - he'll form a coalition with anyone. Question is, how many seats will the Lib Dems have?

Despite Clegg's hubris, he doesn't get to decide who has the first chance to form a government. Newsnight explained yesterday that, in the event of no overall majority, the incumbent gets the first chance at trying to form a government. So, regardless of what Clegg has to say, he would speaking to Cameron first even if he does not have the most seats.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Dave has said he wont lead a government that doesn't have a vote on Europe, the Lib Dems wont allow that. The only way the Tories and the Lib Dems can form a coalition is if Dave steps down.

Jan 30, 2008
Lib dems are dead men walking, SNP bunch of turn coats , there's only one other, welcome mr Farage ,anyone who wants to right him off is deluded
regards
DR

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Dave has said he wont lead a government that doesn't have a vote on Europe, the Lib Dems wont allow that. The only way the Tories and the Lib Dems can form a coalition is if Dave steps down.

again thats not accurate, the LD's have said repeatedly the EU vote is not a red line..... they will form a coalition and go into government if there's any sniff of it with either side.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/10/lib-dems-set-out-their-red-lines-eu-referendum-no-longer-one-them

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
No, not anybody who expresses a view opposite to mine - just this particular view of yours which is crass, stupid and rubbish. Glad to have cleared that up.

OK bye.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Me neither. I'd love to blame Cameron for refusing but I can't. Trial by television is not the way we've ever done things here. I think it's dangerous.

1) What is he supposed to do? It's not his fault his party's policies occupy the middle ground to the extent that both Labour and Conservatives will work with them.
2) He won't form a coalition with anyone. He has ruled out being involved with UKIP and the SNP. Did you miss that bit?

LD policies are closer to those of Labour, some are more left wing than Labour, yet he jumped in with Cameron.

Sorry - when I said 'anyone' I meant one of the two parties who can actually form a Government.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
again thats not accurate, the LD's have said repeatedly the EU vote is not a red line..... they will form a coalition and go into government if there's any sniff of it with either side.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/10/lib-dems-set-out-their-red-lines-eu-referendum-no-longer-one-them

Well aside from the fact that article is 6 months old it does suggest the Lib Dems would allow some kind of vote on Europe, I wonder at what price though and if it would be palatable to the more feverishly right wing Tories...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
LD policies are closer to those of Labour, some are more left wing than Labour, yet he jumped in with Cameron.

Sorry - when I said 'anyone' I meant one of the two parties who can actually form a Government.
Of course he did, he didn't have a majority of seats with Labour. They were 8 short.

In hindsight, I'm pleased he did. Gordon Brown was an awful man, imo.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here