Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cambridge United vs Albion

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Well it's not like they're chanting Falklands War, Falklands War. It's a bit different. I think an Argentina chant is quite apt and witty for the new kits.
Very true. After all it was a minor war between Argentina and BRITAIN, (I can't believe some of the 'Remember HMS Sheffield' posts on the other page). Scotsmen fought and died in it - and since 1986 they've had no problems chanting 'Argentina!'. As footballers Argentinians don't cheat any more than any other nation, well except England obviously.

Dandyman

In London village.
The "Argentina" chant was a piece of sarcasm aimed at the unilateral decision to discard our history and adopt a strip with no link with our history.

If anyone wants to call me a twat for chanting it then I would quite happy to have a face to face discussion with them, alternatively they could ditch their self righteous twaddle for a sense of humour and a sense of perspective. :censored: :drink:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
If it is an NSC chant, it will have to be a tune nobdy has heard, with long words, sung by a small group of 'super fans', who will then bitch that nobody joins in...

MIIIIIIIIAAAOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!

:)

DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Well it's not like they're chanting Falklands War, Falklands War. It's a bit different. I think an Argentina chant is quite apt and witty for the new kits.

Well, I thought it was funny and it added to the atmosphere a lot. Maybe you had to be there. The Falklands stuff on here is utter twaddle.

Mr Blobby said:
£13 at Stevenage
£10 at Cambridge

Makes Withdean look almost reasonable value!

Mr Blobby

I got there about 10 mins late and they let me in through the home end and allowed me to walk round to the Albion end. I only got charged £8 which as there was 3 of us, was a nice bonus.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dandyman said:
The "Argentina" chant was a piece of sarcasm aimed at the unilateral decision to discard our history and adopt a strip with no link with our history.

If anyone wants to call me a twat for chanting it then I would quite happy to have a face to face discussion with them, alternatively they could ditch their self righteous twaddle for a sense of humour and a sense of perspective. :censored: :drink:

RRAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Didn't see the first Cambridge goal but the second was a bad pass by Charlie that rightly got punished.

But we were not overrun by Cambridge in the first half, and as lacklustre our performance was there, we didn't deserve to be 2 down. It was good work by McGhee to tinker with the formation and get the team to click. In the second half we were superb, playing the best football I've seen us play for perhaps this entire year. We were irresistable at times and were unlucky not to clinch the winner.

Bloody hell, Albert Jarrett was superb. What a signing. The run from central midfield to make Maheta's goal was electrifying. Haven't seen an Albion player carry a ball from midfield with that amount of threat for ages.

Surely Jarrett must now start against Reading, he will trouble even good defences.

Maheta's goal was a brilliant strike and capped a good second half for him.

These were out two oustanding players - and credit to McGhee that these are the 2 signings he has made so far.

The 3 triallists, blimey, that will leave McGhee with headaches.

I wrote off Currie after Stevenage and perhaps I was overhasty. Playing on the wide right, he did contribute something against Cambridge, but for me the bugbear still has to be his movement is not as good as the other wide players we already have. Is his passing and footballing brain good enough to overcome that? I'm not sure.

Kerekes was the major disappointment, but much like Jake Robinson at Stevenage, was that because we were playing like lemons and he was getting no adequate service. It's probably bad news for him he came off at half time though. I hope this isn't a missed opportunity for Albion.

Nicolas. Can someone say what he adds to the team? Naylor in the Argus today suggests he is a natural replacement for Oatway. But to me, he never gets near the opposition. All I've seen is lower league players constantly run past him. During the second half, he found his passing range a bit better and had a couple of chances, one very good long range shot. But from the evidence I've seen, he is not as good as the football that Reid was producing at the end of last season. So why bother?

The midfield is still a headache. Reid is still not quite back to his best, we are going to have a real problem until Chippy gets back. It looks as though we will have to pair Oatway and Reid, but that's far from ideal.

I thought otherwise our experienced defenders had a good day.

Roberts is a concern but, look, we have great back-up so that's the least of our problems.

Hinshelwood played well an may make a breakthrough this season. The perienniel scapegoat Lee didn't quite find his feet in this game, like Piercy he's a bit of a misfit in terms of finding the best place for him to play. It's a shame people are so hard on him because he does have talent, he seems best suited to a more advanced role. Overall, he's had a decent pre-season and would have been close to a bench place for Reading I feel.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
interjambo said:
For what it's worth, it wasn't a war. It was a conflict.

Argentina, Argentina

Yes technically I suppose, but just over a 1000 dead and 3 times that injured in a fortnight, fairly close to war i would say.

it really does piss me off though when those inbred Welsh idiots sing Argentina, Argentina etc etc, I wonder how many of the Welsh Guards families appreciate that.?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Well if you lot dont think there's anything wrong with chanting "Argen f***ing tina" then you obviously wont mind if a "there aint no black in the union jack" chants gets started at Reading then.

f*** Argentina, they're wankers. Build a 200ft wall around the coutry and fill it up with water. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hope I didnt offend anybody!!

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
chez said:
Well if you lot dont think there's anything wrong with chanting "Argen f***ing tina" then you obviously wont mind if a "there aint no black in the union jack" chants gets started at Reading then.

not really the same though is it mate?

'there ain't no black in the union jack' is a blatent rascist chant claiming that black people should not be allowed to live in Britain.

'Ar-gen-tina' doesn't say anything even approaching the same now does it?

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
chez said:

f*** Argentina, they're wankers. Build a 200ft wall around the coutry and fill it up with water. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hope I didnt offend anybody!!

Do you feel this way about the Germans, Spanish, French, Russians, Zulus, Indians, Italians or just about anyone else weve been to war with in the past?

All this Argentinian hatred is pathetic.

Last edited:

chez

Jul 5, 2003
the full harris said:
not really the same though is it mate?

'there ain't no black in the union jack' is a blatent rascist chant claiming that black people should not be allowed to live in Britain.

'Ar-gen-tina' doesn't say anything even approaching the same now does it?

No its not the same but I hope you get my point. There are many fans who would be appalled to hear fellow Brighton fans chant Argentina just the same as many fans are appalled to hear racist chants.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
chez said:
]

Germans yes & maybe the french, the others no. Its not ALL about the Falklands.
[/QUOTE

Im struggling to think of any other reasons, please dont tell me you hate an entire country becasue a player of theirs handled the ball into Englands net?

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Albion Dan said:
chez said:
]

Germans yes & maybe the french, the others no. Its not ALL about the Falklands.
[/QUOTE

Im struggling to think of any other reasons, please dont tell me you hate an entire country becasue a player of theirs handled the ball into Englands net?

No, but it doesnt help does it. The thing is that most of their country still think it was an act of god and consider it very funny. Doesn't exactly endear them to you.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
chez said:
No its not the same but I hope you get my point. There are many fans who would be appalled to hear fellow Brighton fans chant Argentina just the same as many fans are appalled to hear racist chants.

would their not liking the chanting of 'ar-gen-tina' not be rascist in itself?

or have i missed the point?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
the full harris said:
would their not liking the chanting of 'ar-gen-tina' not be rascist in itself?

or have i missed the point?

I think you have missed the point mate. What Chez is saying is that a lot of people are still very Anti Argentina because of the Falklands, Hand of God etc and I know that the Argies feel exactly the same way. Would you like it if loads of Brighton started chanting PALACE. Yeah thought so. It would get right up your nose as it would mine. Fair enough the example Chez used could be construde as him being Racist but I have actualy known him for well over 10 years and can assure you he is not Racist. He just has very strong feelings against the Argies for matters that I will divulge with you lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here