Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camber Sands

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So sad that 5 PEOPLE have lost their lives - Almost as sad that the pejorative use of 'illegal immigrants' has so casually slipped in to the vernacular, and thus the tragedy is downgraded a level or 2 with the addition of 2 small words.
What is the non pejorative term for an illegal immigrant. Are you suggesting that illegal immigration is a good thing?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was on that beach yesterday. Lots of police, cars on the beach and helicopters landing.

Sad to hear that this was the cause. The sea was flat and calm, just an incomming tide, nothing unusual or obviously dangerous.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
So sad that 5 PEOPLE have lost their lives - Almost as sad that the pejorative use of 'illegal immigrants' has so casually slipped in to the vernacular, and thus the tragedy is downgraded a level or 2 with the addition of 2 small words.

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that 5 human beings lost their lives is truly terrible, a tragedy. If they turn out to be illegal immigrants, it will NOT in any way 'downgrade' the event. However it will be a relief to local people and families who holiday there. If holidaymakers had lost their lives there, there would be big questions about the safety of the beach. If people drowned because they were engaging in an unusual or dangerous activity I.e. swimming from far out after crossing most of the channel, then at least the beach is safe.

There is absolutely no need to make this political, I am sure everyone is shocked and saddened whoever the poor souls who drowned turn out to be.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just people? Who happen to be from somewhere else? Some of them may have brown skin.
Yes, they are people. I couldn't care less what colour they were or which country they originally came from etc etc etc. However it's useful to know more about people when they are in the news.

For example, if there was trouble at an Albion match, the public would want to know if any fans were culpable. If for instance, we played palace and they set fire to a stand at the Amex, we would not be happy if each media outlet just said 'football fans'. We would be outraged as we'd want the perpetrators to be identified as palace and not Brighton.

When you read an article like that don't you want to know why people died at camber sands? Understanding whether they were illegal immigrants, holidaymakers or something else helps us understand why the events occurred. Nothing more, nothing less, no agenda.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Camber Beach is known for its rip tides (a current)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...ds_Centre-Camber_Rye_East_Sussex_England.html

Watch out for calm bits when a breeze is blowing and there are breaking waves elsewhere.

Everyone should be taught rip tide safety. They are possible wherever waves are breaking, the returning water has to go somewhere basically. The good news is that generally by swimming left or right you swim out of the rip. The other option is to let yourself be taken by the rip past the break and then swim left or right and come back in on the surf.

A rip is generally a surface current. It is highly unlikely, in itself, to drag a person under so if you remain calm poses far less of a danger than you might otherwise think.

Of course, none of this minimises the need to exercise caution and respect for the sea but knowledge of some basic facts about these things can make a massive difference and prevent panic which contributes massively to the risk of drowning.

[EDIT] - I meant to add that it's shocking that for a nation with such easy access to the sea the majority of people are so ignorant of water safety.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
With the tragic multiple drowning's there a couple of weeks ago you have to question the common sense of people who choose to swim in an area known for dangerous tides.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
With the tragic multiple drowning's there a couple of weeks ago you have to question the common sense of people who choose to swim in an area known for dangerous tides.
I think, in the end, that only one person died a few weeks ago after initial reports of several.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007

If you are referring to a normal tide then Camber Sands is no more or less dangerous than many beaches in the UK. Thousands of people use the beach in the summer, sadly this year has seen an abnormal number of tragic deaths, the most recent of which are still to be explained.

If you mean a rip tide then this is not a tide in the sense of anything cyclical and down to the influence of the moon or sun . It's a current caused by the water pushed onto the beach by breaking waves needing to return back. There are ways of spotting rip currents as well as clear advice on how to keep safe if caught up in one.

If you surf then you get to understand what a rip current is, even how to use it to your advantage. Other countries have signage about rip currents and how to be safe. We have none, at least round here. We also have a media who perpetuate a false picture of what a rip current is, never explain it and never present any information on how to deal with them. It's basic water safety and for us as a maritime nation it's a disgrace that we are not better informed about these things.

If you are caught in a rip then it will be scary if you don't know what it is. Trying to swim against it will just tire you out. If you are cold or wearing the heavy clothing then your risk of drowning is increased. If you are a poor swimmer and get out of your depth then the danger increases.

I encourage everyone to read up on rip currents and, how to spot them on the beach and understand how you can get out of one if caught. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current is a good start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mmmm....am awaiting a very unusual set of circumstances to be announced if all that is correct. We'll see.......

Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly os Sussex Police said the group of men were from London area and enjoying a day out.

DI Roskilly said: "We believe we now know who the men are and that they came to the beach together for the day.

"We believe they are all in their late teens and early 20s and come from the Greater London area.

"These men were not fully clothed when they were pulled from the sea but wearing clothes appropriate for being at the beach for the day.

"We have no further reports of anyone else missing from Camber and there are no on-going searches related to this incident.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly os Sussex Police said the group of men were from London area and enjoying a day out.

DI Roskilly said: "We believe we now know who the men are and that they came to the beach together for the day.

"We believe they are all in their late teens and early 20s and come from the Greater London area.

"These men were not fully clothed when they were pulled from the sea but wearing clothes appropriate for being at the beach for the day.

"We have no further reports of anyone else missing from Camber and there are no on-going searches related to this incident.

Some people on here should start questioning the ring wing bullshit they're being led up the garden path about.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Sri lankans from London for the day. Sad news for them all to go together like that

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

As I said, very unusual.....hopefully the full circumstances will come out in the fullness of time.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are illegal immigrants. My reasoning is that police were originally called to one person in the sea. Whilst they were there two more bodies were pulled out. Then a further two this evening. Of course just speculation on my part.

Looking a bit shakey out on that limb...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here