Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camber Sands

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Unfortunately further deaths at the beach

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14702267.Three_people_have_died_swimming_at_Camber_Sands/

Three people have died after being pulled from the sea at Camber Sands.Emergency services were called to the beach at 2.10pm on Wednesday (August 24) to reports of a person in the sea.
While they were on scene another person was seen in difficulty at 2.20pm and 15 minutes later a third person was rescued.
The three men, who have not yet been identified, died despite efforts to save them, Sussex Police said.
Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly said officers were working with other agencies to clear the beach and encourage people to come out of the sea while they investigated.
She added: "We are also asking people to stay away from Camber for the afternoon and evening to assist emergency services in managing this incident.
"This has been an incredibly tragic situation and very traumatic for those who were there on the beach at the time.
"At this stage we do not know who the men are and are doing all we can to establish their identities."
Last month 19-year-old Brazilian student Gustavo Silva Da Cruz died after getting into difficulty while swimming in the sea at Camber Sands.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's weird. Up until this year, I'd have considered it a very safe beach. You can wander out a long, long way before it becomes deep.

It's weird. Up until this year, I'd have considered it a very safe beach. You can wander out a long, long way before it becomes deep.

I was there yesterday,was amazed at the amount of people that looked stranded on the sand humps as the tide started to come in quite quickly,it looks such a safe ,wide expanse of beach but as the tide makes it's way in you can see the current churning,terribly tragic events today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Neither was i , iv'e only ever seen the moon and lions main ones in our waters which to my knowledge are not poisonous to humans , but the portuguese man of war jellyfish are deadly and are found on our shores from time to time

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Neither was i , iv'e only ever seen the moon and lions main ones in our waters which to my knowledge are not poisonous to humans , but the portuguese man of war jellyfish are deadly and are found on our shores from time to time

Strictly speaking they aren't jellyfish and stings are rarely fatal.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I got cut off by the tide there when I was 10. Really freaked out. Wasn't very much fun at all.
Having said that.... It is one of my favourite places in the world.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Two more men have now been found dead taking the total to five. What the hell is happening there?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Crazy to see this going on at Camber, I know the odd tragedy is going to happen at beaches every now and again but 5/6 people in a day, what on earth happened?

I know that jellyfish was mentioned but I could've sworn that either the bbc or argus article said that they weren't the cause. Then again, at this stage no-one's likely to have a clue I guess.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Crazy to see this going on at Camber, I know the odd tragedy is going to happen at beaches every now and again but 5/6 people in a day, what on earth happened?

I know that jellyfish was mentioned but I could've sworn that either the bbc or argus article said that they weren't the cause. Then again, at this stage no-one's likely to have a clue I guess.

Reports coming in that they were fully-clothed and of Asian appearance. Suggests that they were would-be illegals, dropped off-shore and attempting to swim to land.

Utterly implausible that 5-6 holiday-makers would or could drown off Camber Sands within minutes of each other on a flat, balmy day in August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here