Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde Red Card

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
No arguments it had to be a red. You cant jump into a challenge with two feet off the ground. Simple as that!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
0,,10267~9293778,00.jpg

Poyet is saying it was a ONE-footed challenge, as does the report on the official site - this pic would seem to support that. And he got the ball cleanly. If the ref thought the challenge was dangerous, he could simply have booked him. There was no way it looked like a red card offence from where I was sitting.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No arguments it had to be a red. You cant jump into a challenge with two feet off the ground. Simple as that!

See the pic above - where are the "two feet off the ground"???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sounds like it's worth an appeal.......start of the match , slippery pitch, both players fully committed , calde has a reasonable record doesn't he..?

oxfordseagull

Nov 29, 2010
Oxford from the South
I Know we r all biased but it looked like he won the ball, I know about the two footed thing, so maybe it was right, but based on the other stupid decisions it seems to me he just got the whole match wrong, my mate a charlton fan thought the same, there was about 5 bookings and a sending off for a match that didn't seem a dirty one? But then again i'm old and very biased!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone remember when Virgo got sent off at Withdean a few seasons back for a dangerous challenge in which he cleanly won the ball? It was a much harder challenge than Calde's but the ref saw it as violent intent. The difference was Virgs was only booked (it was a second yellow). I think the ref could have just booked him, even if he thought it was potentially dangerous, especially as it was so early in the game.

As for the ref's performance overall, it was one of the poorest I've seen for a while. He seemed out of his depth - half of the time reacting to appeals by players or the shouts of the crowd. As one of the first posters on this thread mentioned, the most annoying thing about the Calde red was the delay between the challenge and Racon's theatrics. The ref reacted to that, not to the challenge itself. Hopeless.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

My initial thought was he was lucky to get the ball, or he'd be off. Then I was furious with the decision- as it seemed that Racon decided to fall over a couple of seconds after the challenge and roll around, the ref (seemingly about 5 seconds after the tackle) then decided to send him off.

It wasn't the actual challenge I was annoyed with per se, more the dive and huge delay in the ref making his mind up.

But then again, I may have perceived it wrong, need to see it again.. But I thought he got the ball and it was a good challenge!

The way I read the situation was that although Calderon may have been late and relatively high in the tackle, (where has this two footed stuff come from?) the referee had no intention of giving a foul let alone a red card originally, only when he saw the reaction of the Charlton players did he actually begin to make a fuss over the whole incident and proceeded to show the red card. I'll be the first to put my hands up and admit being wrong if it is shown Calderon was two footed but from where I was it certainly didn't look to be that way at all!

In many ways, it was one of the best things that could have happened to us as we were fast asleep for the penalty, and had scarcely woken up since, but as soon as the red was shown we were the better team and didn't look back.

Agree with these.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I would be interested in the views of others from the family stand as side on it didn't seem like he lunged in. It looked more like a block tackle and the jump came after he got the ball more in an attempt to get out of the players way. I think the players reaction caused the card. As I say, just my view but from a different angle.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What a shame common sense no longer seems to play a role in refereeing. It was the sort of challenge that sometimes - not always gets a red card these days. However, as the first big challenge of a very important match for both sides and given that Calde clearly took all of the ball and didn't touch the player at all, it's a shame the ref felt the need to spoil the match by being so quick with a red card. Some officials (i.e. good ones) even nowadays would exercise more discretion and use a yellow card and a very stern warning to both sides that tackling like that would not be tolerated, never mind how pumped up the players were. Instead we get the flamboyant 'look at me' red and a potentially great game instantly ruined.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Red card fro me and that pic backs it up, 1 second before that photo he would of had to had both feet off the ground

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Block tackle for me all the way, I had a great view of it from where I was sitting in J block. What is interesting is the reaction (of rather non-reaction) from the Charlton players after the tackle (watch the highlights for proof). Not one of them protested, rather were watching the ball. Then the ref went mad and you just KNEW he was going to pull out the red card.

But we were superb last night, and Charlton were very poor.

Brian

Feb 21, 2009
just watched tackle on Sky, freeze frame the tackle and you can clearly see both players two footed and off the ground.

Parkinson knows it wasn't a red card tackle, the ref will be embarassed when he sees this!!

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I know we're all unanimous on Calderon being a great player and a conductor of flair, but tonight I felt he showed total stupidity that may well have cost us the chance to win the game. Having just gone 1-0 down, the last thing we needed was a player sent off. And it was a red card, in fact I doubt you'll rarely see a more obvious one. It was off the ground, it was over the ball and it was two-footed. A totally ludicrous and moronic thing to do. Still, the twats at the end of the north stand gave him a round of applause.
I can't believe it but I agree with all this. But I wish one of the defenders had gone in that hard in 1st minute and stopped them walking straight through us for the penalty.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Block tackle for me all the way, I had a great view of it from where I was sitting in J block. What is interesting is the reaction (of rather non-reaction) from the Charlton players after the tackle (watch the highlights for proof). Not one of them protested, rather were watching the ball. Then the ref went mad and you just KNEW he was going to pull out the red card.

But we were superb last night, and Charlton were very poor.

J block? You would had the worst possible view of the incident then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If he is not in control of the tackle and where his legs are going, with studs up, its a red all day I am afraid

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
What a shame common sense no longer seems to play a role in refereeing. It was the sort of challenge that sometimes - not always gets a red card these days. However, as the first big challenge of a very important match for both sides and given that Calde clearly took all of the ball and didn't touch the player at all, it's a shame the ref felt the need to spoil the match by being so quick with a red card. Some officials (i.e. good ones) even nowadays would exercise more discretion and use a yellow card and a very stern warning to both sides that tackling like that would not be tolerated, never mind how pumped up the players were. Instead we get the flamboyant 'look at me' red and a potentially great game instantly ruined.

This... although it is, by law a red, dıscretion might have been mopre reasonable this early in the game, especially as he DID get the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here