Calde Red Card

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As soon as the ref blew the whistle I said he's going to give him a red card, and sure enough he did. As others have said, Calderon left the ground and came down two footed, bt today's rules which judge a challege on how safe they are (how much damage they could cause), not how successful they are (or even how much damage they do cause) it was always going to be a red.

I'm surprised, actually, on the radio they were saying the press box was split 80-20 in calderon's favour, I was expecting there to be more of an outcry at the decision, glad to see you all know a bit more about football than the commentators!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
From where I was sitting, it looked like a Louis Vuitton 'Gay' man-bag, and was fully deserving of a red card in itself, and could have brought all the hard work done by the club to eradicate the common homo tag to an abrupt end. Poor show...:smile:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cameras can lie, but it doesn't look like a lot wrong here.

0,,10267~9293778,00.jpg

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Cameras can lie, but it doesn't look like a lot wrong here.

0,,10267~9293778,00.jpg

His foot can easily go over the ball and on to their players ankle. Really need to see a replay rather than a picture i feel to see the incident as a whole. From where i was i couldn't see a bloody thing so awaiting highlights.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If the camera could go back in time a second, you would see both his feet off the ground. That is him having landed

And? It is not a sending off offence to have both feet off the ground. From my point of view Calde was on his feet after the tackle and unless it was a deliberate stamp he should not have been sent off.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At least one of the games of his ban will be Pompey in the cup.

I assume that's the case anyway, as it's normally your next three matches. Not so bothered about the Cup, would be nice to stick one over the cheats, but I'd rather lose Calderon for that than a third league game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And? It is not a sending off offence to have both feet off the ground. From my point of view Calde was on his feet after the tackle and unless it was a deliberate stamp he should not have been sent off.

Actually, from the laws of the game
Serious foul play
A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.
"

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send
off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is
restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred
inside the offender’s penalty area).

The ref obviously viewed it as excessive force. He may have fallen short, but he jumped in, in the direction of the opponent, coming down strongly just fractionally shy of the opponent, if he landed awkwardly on the ball, as he very nearly did, he could have hurt their player. The very definition of endangering his opponents safety.

It didn't work out as the worst case scenario, but as I said earlier, challenges are judged on how safe they are, not how successful. He was successful, but not safe. He lunged in two footed, which is illegal in accordance with the laws of the game.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

No lunge, surely. If you are saying both his feet were off the floor before this picture then Racon was even further away than he is in this picture. Also Acker you are not the only person who knows the rules of football, so it is not necessary for you to point them out every time there is a debate about a refereeing decision.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

No lunge, surely. If you are saying both his feet were off the floor before this picture then Racon was even further away than he is in this picture. Also Acker you are not the only person who knows the rules of football, so it is not necessary for you to point them out every time there is a debate about a refereeing decision.

What is a two footed lunge if not a jump in a particular direction? Look at his legs, he jumped, two footed, leading with his feet, toward the point where he and his opponent would meet.

If you're arguing a lunge isn't jump or a jump isn't a lunge, you are splitting hairs.

I show the rules because I find it helpful when discussing incidents if someone highlights what the rules are, especially when people make wrong claims about them. Not because I'm proving I'm the only one who knows them (and I have never claimed that), but so that the relevant laws are available in the thread so people can discuss them as they are, not what some may think they are/should be.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What is a two footed lunge if not a jump in a particular direction? Look at his legs, he jumped, two footed, leading with his feet, toward the point where he and his opponent would meet.

If you're arguing a lunge isn't jump or a jump isn't a lunge, you are splitting hairs.

I show the rules because I find it helpful when discussing incidents if someone highlights what the rules are, especially when people make wrong claims about them. Not because I'm proving I'm the only one who knows them (and I have never claimed that), but so that the relevant laws are available in the thread so people can discuss them.

A lunge surely implies forward momentum though. Calde did not appear to have any forward motion, imo. I was gonna put the dictionary definition of lunge up but realised that would make me a hypocrite.

If you want to put the rules up to aid discussion, it would probably be better if you did not use them in an effort to prove someone else wrong. For example, using the rules of the game as a direct reply to a post you do not agree with. Especially as the rule in question did not prove what I said in the first place to be incorrect (again, imo).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A lunge surely implies forward momentum though. Calde did not appear to have any forward motion, imo. I was gonna put the dictionary definition of lunge up but realised that would make me a hypocrite.

If you want to put the rules up to aid discussion, it would probably be better if you did not use them in an effort to prove someone else wrong. For example, using the rules of the game as a direct reply to a post you do not agree with. Especially as the rule in question did not prove what I said in the first place to be incorrect (again, imo).

No, it would simply prove the whole splitting hairs thing. He did have forward momentum. He didn't jump up and down on the spot, he jumped towards the ball/player.

You brought up the laws of the game, suggesting that "It is not a sending off offence to have both feet off the ground. ... unless it was a deliberate stamp he should not have been sent off."

I was highlighting the law to show that it doesn't have to be a deliberate stamp, and that if both feet leave the ground during a challenge (when jumping, or lunging at an opponent) it is a red card offence. I wasn't doing it to prove you wrong, just to provide accuracy in the discussion.

Anyway, off to bed now.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports