Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley fan here

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Got to say all 3 teams are showing incredible guts and determination. Your win last night was incredible - fair play! One thing that never seems to get mentioned is that Boro are not certs for promotion either. Whose to say it can't be us and yourselves?

What news of Barton after he was subbed off? I would make you favourites to beat 'Boro on Tuesday, but his absence could be key. Much as we might despise him, I think he would be a big miss for you if he's not fit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would make you favourites to beat 'Boro on Tuesday.

Interested to know what basis you think that- is it because they're at home? Admittedly I'm only going on the evidence of the fixtures between us this season so far, along with (perceived) current performance levels from televised games, but personally, I think Boro are slightly the more likely to win.

Boro looked excellent against us in December (OK, we were massively weakened that day) and have a very strong spine to their team. They just seem to have more options than Burnley who- sorry, Clarets fans- did appear to me to be a little one dimensional both times we played them. Very reliant on the long pass over the defence, or on set pieces. When the long ball over the top to Gray's feet didn't work, they switched to the long ball over the top to Barnes. Not sure how that will work against the excellent Ayala, Friend & Co.

Boro, on the other hand, seemed to have a Plan B (bring on Nugent/ Rhodes/ Ramirez/Downing etc), hence their recent glut of late goals. You can call it lucky, or you can say it's to their credit- and Steve Gibson's bank balance- that they have the squad to change a game at any stage.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've listened to a few Burnley matches on Seagulls Player this year (yes I'm that sad) and what strikes me is the lack of singing at Turf Moor. All you hear is sporadic swearing from their perma-angry towns folk. It can't be a particularly motivating arena to play in. If Boro do go ahead it'll get really sweary.

Is that fair comment? [MENTION=34118]burnleyfan57[/MENTION]

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We were worried about Barton when we signed him, but he's been absolutely brilliant for us. Similar to players like Roy Keane and other of that ilk, he's the sort of player other fans love to hate. But in terms of his ability, he still has PL quality.

For us though, the star has been Andre. I've never seen a player run so fast. Mind you, he's had a tough upbringing as he was in gangs at an early age and has a big scar on his face when he got slashed.

It's all about perspective. You view him as a seasoned campaigner.and a passer of the ball sometimes equal to Steven Gerrard. We, on the other hand, see him as a psycopathic scouse maniac who is a disgrace to the game.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I know Burnley haven't been playing THAT well of late, but they'll raise their game when Middlesbrough come to town. It'll be a close one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interested to know what basis you think that- is it because they're at home? Admittedly I'm only going on the evidence of the fixtures between us this season so far, along with (perceived) current performance levels from televised games, but personally, I think Boro are slightly the more likely to win.

Boro looked excellent against us in December (OK, we were massively weakened that day) and have a very strong spine to their team. They just seem to have more options than Burnley who- sorry, Clarets fans- did appear to me to be a little one dimensional both times we played them. Very reliant on the long pass over the defence, or on set pieces. When the long ball over the top to Gray's feet didn't work, they switched to the long ball over the top to Barnes. Not sure how that will work against the excellent Ayala, Friend & Co.

Boro, on the other hand, seemed to have a Plan B (bring on Nugent/ Rhodes/ Ramirez/Downing etc), hence their recent glut of late goals. You can call it lucky, or you can say it's to their credit- and Steve Gibson's bank balance- that they have the squad to change a game at any stage.

There was a Boro fan on here a few weeks back indicating they're reverse-flat-track bullies and, that allied to your analysis, makes a draw or an away win the most likely outcome in my book. Boro do have the toughest run-in of the four but, then again, they're four points ahead of us, two ahead of Burnley.

burnleyfan57

Apr 13, 2016
I've listened to a few Burnley matches on Seagulls Player this year (yes I'm that sad) and what strikes me is the lack of singing at Turf Moor. All you hear is sporadic swearing from their perma-angry towns folk. It can't be a particularly motivating arena to play in. If Boro do go ahead it'll get really sweary.

Is that fair comment? [MENTION=34118]burnleyfan57[/MENTION]

We are probably no different from anyone lse when it comes to poor atmosphere in an all seater ground. We've now got a singing section in the Cricket field stand to try and improve the situation though.

Btw, In the same way people have different views on Barton I wonder what your views are on Ashley Barnes? It looked like he went in two footed when he got sent off against us a few seasons ago when you were down to 9 men and last season against Chelsea (Matic getting sent off for retaliation) he put himself about a bit. We see him as being just as aggressive as Barton, but as he's one of ours we'll forgive him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We are probably no different from anyone lse when it comes to poor atmosphere in an all seater ground. We've now got a singing section in the Cricket field stand to try and improve the situation though.

Btw, In the same way people have different views on Barton I wonder what your views are on Ashley Barnes? It looked like he went in two footed when he got sent off against us a few seasons ago when you were down to 9 men and last season against Chelsea (Matic getting sent off for retaliation) he put himself about a bit. We see him as being just as aggressive as Barton, but as he's one of ours we'll forgive him.

No your fella went in 2 footed - Barnes left a leg in. Your guy should've been sent off - Barnes prob not so much but he left his foot there which he's kind of entitled to do as the tackle was so bad.

As for today... Well you'll prob day you're due a bit of luck after our luck v Forest and Boro luck v everyone they seem to play atm (late goals-wise). It's very annoying for all that nobody is dropping points. If there's any justice, all 3 will be the teams promoted as they're the most consistent by a distance.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I view Ashley as a committed footballer and (in the nicest sense) daft bugger.

Barton is a thug.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Ashley was under-appreciated during his time with the Albion and I think he knew that a fair amount of fans didn't rate him (seem to remember an audible sigh going round the ground when he stepped up to take a penno that sticks out). He was being shoehorned in on the left side at times and just wasn't effective; I think he fits in with Burnley's style of play at the moment more than he ever did with ours.

Wouldn't say he was a particularly nasty player- committed more than anything- but he always seemed a bit dim, for lack of a better word. You've left out the time he inexplicably tripped over the ref when playing for us against Bolton a few years ago :lolol:

Will always wish him the best in his career, he seems a really genuine bloke and gave all he had during his time with the Albion.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Partly the home advantage, partly natural pessimism because Burnley winning seems the worst result for us at the moment, partly because 'Boro strike me as more brittle. I think that today was the first time they've come from behind to win, whereas Burnley seem to never know when they're beaten. I saw the first half against Bolton today and it seemed that, with a more positive set up, Boro could have been out of reach by half time, but Karanka left Ramirez and Nugent on the bench and persisted with his five in midfield until circumstances forced his hand. His attacking players have got him out of jail late in the last two through relentless pressure. As a draw is probably good enough for 'Boro, on Tuesday, I don't see Karanka starting with a more positive set up. This is likely to give Burnley the upper hand and they won't eventually capitulate to pressure in the way Bolton and Reading did.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ashley was under-appreciated during his time with the Albion and I think he knew that a fair amount of fans didn't rate him (seem to remember an audible sigh going round the ground when he stepped up to take a penno that sticks out). He was being shoehorned in on the left side at times and just wasn't effective; I think he fits in with Burnley's style of play at the moment more than he ever did with ours.

Wouldn't say he was a particularly nasty player- committed more than anything- but he always seemed a bit dim, for lack of a better word. You've left out the time he inexplicably tripped over the ref when playing for us against Bolton a few years ago :lolol:

Will always wish him the best in his career, he seems a really genuine bloke and gave all he had during his time with the Albion.

Wasn't that against SW? Maybe I'm wrong

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Difference is Barton thinks he's something he's not ..intelligent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here