Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke pull your finger out

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It is still the same thing - spending more than they can afford.

An extra 2/3k a week for these 5 players we need equates to not being able to bring in 1 or 2 loan players later in the season if need be. Or could make the difference between getting someone really special in (the Bridge deal for example).
Timing problem - we could be out of the race by the time we even have a chance of this mythical special player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Timing problem - we could be out of the race by the time we even have a chance of this mythical special player.

If a player is mythical, there's no chance of signing him as he doesn't exist.

On the Posh v Albion thread, I have given three recent examples of players who came into a side, making an instant impact. January signings do that without the benefit of preseason or gelling.
We want quality, not any old journeyman.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If a player is mythical, there's no chance of signing him as he doesn't exist.

On the Posh v Albion thread, I have given three recent examples of players who came into a side, making an instant impact. January signings do that without the benefit of preseason or gelling.
We want quality, not any old journeyman.

Agreed. Quality IS required.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christ on a bike, this is getting painful.

Though probably not as painful as Bozza's forehead must be right now from banging it repeatedly against a brick wall.

If the gentlemen in question (Burke/Bloom) were crap negotiators, chaps, we'd have been sitting here with £4 million in the bank for Ulloa, or a sulky striker who doesn't want to be here. The fact that we may potentially, if he plays x number of games, Leicester stay up etc, be sitting on well over ten million in the end is more than good evidence of, firstly their skills and secondly, their desire to do what's in the best interests of the Albion.

It doesn't matter what we have NOW, it's all about putting ourselves in a position to be in contention next May. People panicking that we don't have the squad yet, despite what Bozza has said about potential deals in the offing- do you also think a defeat in the first game means a calamitous season too? Because that's pretty much what you seem to be implying: that an incomplete squad come 9th August equals certain failure.

Jeez.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Every day I hope that we're going to sign the players we need for the new season and every day I'm disappointed when we don't.
However, I have no idea what really goes on when any player signs for any club and how clubs decide on what they think a player is worth. But I'm willing to trust the people TB employs who know far more about this sort of thing then I do. I think it makes sense to trust people who have given us probably our three most successful seasons for a very long time. I also think it's worth remembering that the most successful of those seasons we had was it three or four players join on the final day of the transfer window.

Rem acu tetigisti

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Though probably not as painful as Bozza's forehead must be right now from banging it repeatedly against a brick wall.

If the gentlemen in question (Burke/Bloom) were crap negotiators, chaps, we'd have been sitting here with £4 million in the bank for Ulloa, or a sulky striker who doesn't want to be here. The fact that we may potentially, if he plays x number of games, Leicester stay up etc, be sitting on well over ten million in the end is more than good evidence of, firstly their skills and secondly, their desire to do what's in the best interests of the Albion.

It doesn't matter what we have NOW, it's all about putting ourselves in a position to be in contention next May. People panicking that we don't have the squad yet, despite what Bozza has said about potential deals in the offing- do you also think a defeat in the first game means a calamitous season too? Because that's pretty much what you seem to be implying: that an incomplete squad come 9th August equals certain failure.

Jeez.

this and this again
my respect went up 100 fold after the Leo deal, how in Gods name they got 10m for him I really don't know, I thought 6m would have been about the limit.
with people like them in charge of transfer dealings I don't worry any longer (although I do trawl the forums and transfer dealing to see if we have got anyone)
they obviously know their job

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Jeez.

Christ don't even joke about a defeat on opening day, this place would go into meltdown and the Samaritans would have to set up a dedicated unit

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Jeez.

FFS. Nobody said one defeat is a calamity. A poor start, whilst waiting for the players we need on the last day of the window or when the loan window opens. Yes, that could well be calamitous.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I speak only for myself, but I'm quite happy for the board to operate in a way that means they get the best possible value for the Albion.

It's easy for people to say "pay the market rate" (though as the market rate is only what clubs are prepared to pay, it's arguably not much different).

Except the reason Wolves found themselves up the creek a year ago is because they paid over the odds for mediocre players like Jamie O'Hara, who spent last season training with the youth team and scratching his backside every Saturday while getting paid over thirty grand a week by a third division club. They were paying Ward a decent wage too, and Kevin Doyle, both of whom were sidelined from the club by management, and also Wayne Hennessey, until they managed to flog him to Palace after he refused to play in a huff.

I don't want us to pay players or clubs thousands of pounds more than what they're worth: if they want more money, then they need to sign for us, play their little backsides off, and EARN that extra cash. That's how it should work, and how I like to think Mr Bloom wants it to.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
FFS. Nobody said one defeat is a calamity. A poor start, whilst waiting for the players we need on the last day of the window or when the loan window opens. Yes, that could well be calamitous.

We're nowhere near that point yet though, and you're still complaining about it all.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Really? What are you classing as 'calamitous'?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BTW... The Leo deal was fantastic. Great deal for us. Said so at the time. We seem to have no problem selling our best players for good money. However, player acquisition has been and remains shocking.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We're nowhere near that point yet though, and you're still complaining about it all.

Yes, because we are nearly half a team short and those 5/6 players should have been signed ALREADY. Or at least 3 of them.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
BTW... The Leo deal was fantastic. Great deal for us. Said so at the time. We seem to have no problem selling our best players for good money. However, player acquisition has been and remains shocking.

That statement makes no sense at all. If our recruitment were so crap we wouldn't have any good players to sell on in the first place. So which is it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really? What are you classing as 'calamitous'?

TBH I can't see us being anywhere near the bottom of the table, even if we went with our current depleted squad.

However, and sorry for the repetition, but if we are not in or around the top 6, say top 10, experience tells me our incredibly fickle fans (the majority of our fans, not the die-hards on here) will flit away and we'll lose vital revenue.

We'll end up losing more money than we've saved by playing hard-ball on player acquisitions. A lot more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here