Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke pull your finger out

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It seems to me Tony see's the value in bricks and mortar and not people and players?

If you wont npay the going rate you will end up with no assets just journeyman and loanes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So Wolves value him at ex and we are trying to get him on the cheap because we know they want rid of him basically.

That bit in bold gives you away and illustrates why, again, it's a waste of my time here.

I'm happy for those actually involved in our player recruitment process to ascertain what they consider to be fair value for players and to stick to their guns when they feel it is the right thing to do. They might get it wrong sometimes, we might miss out on players sometimes. But we won't end up in an utter mess, such as clubs like Pompey, caused by just spending whatever it takes with little regard for anything else.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
That bit in bold gives you away and illustrates why, again, it's a waste of my time here.

I'm happy for those actually involved in our player recruitment process to ascertain what they consider to be fair value for players and to stick to their guns when they feel it is the right thing to do. They might get it wrong sometimes, we might miss out on players sometimes. But we won't end up in an utter mess, such as clubs like Pompey, caused by just spending whatever it takes with little regard for anything else.

No one is suggesting paying over the odd's. But if you do not match the market rates in any job market and are actively competetive3 in doing so you end up with sub standard squad or group of employee's.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The current value of the Player is £3m we could have signed him for £1m.
According to some sources but TB hasn't and probably won't confirm what fee we'd agreed to buy him for, and Norwich/Bournemouth haven't formally disclosed the fee back in June when Bournemouth sold him on...
So hard to say whether its true that his value went from £1m - £3m in 6 months. Perhaps it did. Perhaps it was a lot closer. And there's more of a financial knock on in paying players more than you value them, including the impact on the rest of the squad.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No one is suggesting paying over the odd's. But if you do not match the market rates in any job market and are actively competetive3 in doing so you end up with sub standard squad or group of employee's.

What is the market rate for Ward? No one seems willing to pay what Wolves are requesting, as yet.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

But that is precisely how Portsmouth ended up where they are - by paying "market rates" that they could not afford. We are not in the same market as those receiving parachute payments and those willing to gamble on FFP being toothless.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
But that is precisely how Portsmouth ended up where they are - by paying "market rates" that they could not afford. We are not in the same market as those receiving parachute payments and those willing to gamble on FFP being toothless.

They were bringing in and paying top 4 wages, totally different case.

Not £10 > 12/13k.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Thank you for your application to join the BHA negotiating team.

I am sorry to inform you that on this occasion you have been unsuccessful due to

Your lack of experience in negotiations beyond Carden Avenue Car Boot Sale which I am afraid results in a naivety displayed in your correspondence.

I whish every success in your future career

D Burke.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Apart form papers/tweets and rumours does any one know for certain that's we are trying for these player ward/stockdale

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
They were bringing in and paying top 4 wages, totally different case.

Not £10 > 12/13k.

It is still the same thing - spending more than they can afford.

An extra 2/3k a week for these 5 players we need equates to not being able to bring in 1 or 2 loan players later in the season if need be. Or could make the difference between getting someone really special in (the Bridge deal for example).

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Thank you for your application to join the BHA negotiating team.

I am sorry to inform you that on this occasion you have been unsuccessful due to

Your lack of experience in negotiations beyond Carden Avenue Car Boot Sale which I am afraid results in a naivety displayed in your correspondence.

I whish every success in your future career

D Burke.

Many thanks Mr Burke for letting me know your decision.

I wish you and your team every success moving forwards and continued success in player recruitment.

If I can be of any help in the future please do not hesitate in contact me.

Barnham Seagull

Ford Car Boot

May 18, 2013
Every day I hope that we're going to sign the players we need for the new season and every day I'm disappointed when we don't.
However, I have no idea what really goes on when any player signs for any club and how clubs decide on what they think a player is worth. But I'm willing to trust the people TB employs who know far more about this sort of thing then I do. I think it makes sense to trust people who have given us probably our three most successful seasons for a very long time. I also think it's worth remembering that the most successful of those seasons we had was it three or four players join on the final day of the transfer window.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It is still the same thing - spending more than they can afford.

An extra 2/3k a week for these 5 players we need equates to not being able to bring in 1 or 2 loan players later in the season if need be. Or could make the difference between getting someone really special in (the Bridge deal for example).

We keep letting players go or fail to sign players for a few extra K. We then have to replace them buy spending money on transfer fee's or bringing in loans which have no value on the balance sheet.

Your argument is flawed IMHO. But that's just how I see it, happy to disagree.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

What you are suggesting there is asking price = market price. If so, why hasn't Ward got a new club yet?

When you buy a house, a car or anything used do you always pay the asking price immediately and without hesitation as you have been given the "market price"?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What you are suggesting there is asking price = market price. If so, why hasn't Ward got a new club yet?

When you buy a house, a car or anything used do you always pay the asking price immediately and without hesitation as you have been given the "market price"?

If you want it enough you pay what is being asked.

If you cant afford anywhere near what is being asked you don't look at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here