Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger King wins

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unfortunately the refurb imho was nothing more than a quick makeover and all they have achieved is to lose the "regular locals" and replaced with the yummy mummy brigade complete with buggies scattered everywhere!!

It's sounds and looks like that North Laine brew pub. I've just looked up their website. They have a nice beer list but the rest of it comes across as towny and wanky.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It's sounds and looks like that North Laine brew pub. I've just looked up their website. They have a nice beer list but the rest of it comes across as towny and wanky.

Popped in there Friday - double G&T- £9.25!!

It's got a weird vibe now and is pricy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Some history being re-written here. It's only in recent times that Brighton has (sadly IMO but I'm in a minority) tried to re-invent itself as a sort of alternative, quirky 'out there' student and hipster-central type of place. Previously it was a cheap 'n' cheerful seaside resort, a kind of southern Blackpool, with a bit of a seedy side. As I mentioned on the 'Marina' thread it was once described by Keith Waterhouse as "always looking like it's helping the police with their enquiries".

It's always disappointing when a pub closes, but I'd MUCH rather it were a Burger King than some chi-chi joint selling gourmet burgers. The spirit of Old Brighton lives on!

Have to agree.......Brighton in the old days was a seedy place now it's just dirty.

My favourite description was by a taxi driver in that mag years ago aimed at new uni students............." The graveyard of ambition " !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to agree.......Brighton in the old days was a seedy place

What exactly do you mean by Brighton having been a seedy place....and when?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
What exactly do you mean by Brighton having been a seedy place....and when?

The old trope used to be "a dirty weekend in Brighton" where couples signed into guesthouses as Mr and Mrs Smith. other phrases like "Queers Piers and souvineers" were common as well.. These have been around for ages, I cannot remember a time where Brighton was considered "cool", maybe when Quadrophenia came out but then that would have elevated it to the level of Margate.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
On the new pub theme what's The Albion in Hove like after its refurb? Did they keep the lovely old frontage?

I popped in a month or so ago and they had the most excruciating in house publication I have ever read. I might nip in and see if they've still got it and bang a copy up on here. ****ing awful.

As for the pub itself.

Meh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I popped in a month or so ago and they had the most excruciating in house publication I have ever read. I might nip in and see if they've still got it and bang a copy up on here. ****ing awful.

As for the pub itself.

Meh.

I've only seen their website but it seems a very contrived place. I hate all that clip-on boho nonsense. It will fit in quite well with the cafe place on the other side of the road.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think you might have rose coloured specs on .... or should that be blue ? The council hasn't controlled the cost of buses for decades since de-regulation and councils of every colour have allowed taxi fares to increase stupidly - hence why Uber ( allowed by a Labour council ) are taking so much business from the local firms.

I agree.

By my count his original list of problems with the City contained 4 valid points, 4 which were absolute bollocks, 3 which were irrelevant to the quality of a city, 1 which didn't make any sense whatsoever and almost all of which had little or nothing to do with the political makeup of the council.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here