Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger King wins

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why pay £7ish quid for crap in BK when round the corner in East st you can stuff yourself stupid in Days for a couple of quid more?

Days is absolutely HORRIFIC. I went there one lunchtime, and it was like a monkeys tea party in there. Piles and piles of wasted food slopped all over the tables, screaming kids running around, blaring music from the ceiling speakers.

I would actually prefer a Burger King. And believe me, thats saying something.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Days is absolutely HORRIFIC. I went there one lunchtime, and it was like a monkeys tea party in there. Piles and piles of wasted food slopped all over the tables, screaming kids running around, blaring music from the ceiling speakers.

That hasn't been my experience, but I can see why a BK would be better in that situation.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think people have slightly rose tinted specs over present day Brighton. Yes it has a rep for small and independent but look around, the place is rammed with Starbucks, Pret, a dozen chain noodle shops, loads of sushi chains, pizza chains, Italian chains, all you can shove up your arse buffets, chain shops, chain pubs, chain cinemas.....

It is no longer exclusive in it's "indie vibe". Every town and city in the country now has it's own boho districts.

It's a crying shame but it's the truth. Every seaside town has its heyday, Brighton's started it's twighlight in 1999.

It's the beginning of Europe becoming much like fat arse America.

Pass me another beer, Bubba!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Certainly is but, when it comes to actual burgers in mainstream burger shops,BK is far superior to McDonalds.
I often wonder if McDonalds don't care about there burgers and concentrate on their other fayre because they are truly awful, in comparison BK burgers are delicious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can the thread title be changed please?

If I see Burger King much more, through the power of subliminal advertising very soon I'm be stuffing one into my fat little face, making this weeks cycling a complete waste of time.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just got home and surprised that my thread of me getting something off my chest went to three pages. And most agree with me as well.
It will be interesting to see how it stands up in the winter season. Would the row be the same if Wetherspoons wanted to move in, maybe.
To see where people prefer to go, stand in Church St and count those enticed by Tesco & Starbucks into Jubilee St and those walking into Gardener St.
Keep Brighton independent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... London Rd is still a hole.

London Rd is probably the best place to go for food right now. The Med deli next to the market is superb; Fatto a Mano offer fantastic pizzas, the Thai cafe is far better than the posher Thai places in town, Eastern Eye is one of the better Indian restaurants, the Mexican restaurant opposite St Peter's is excellent, Mediterraneo is top-class Italian scran and Mrs G informs that the ribs in The World's End are some of the best she's tasted (I've known people come down from London to eat there).

There are better eateries in Brighton, but not so many decent ones so close together, now that Preston St's gone downhill.

It just needs a decent boozer ... although The Mitre remains my favourite Brighton pub and that's just minutes away.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Mrs G informs that the ribs in The World's End are some of the best she's tasted (I've known people come down from London to eat there).

i must admit not been down there for a while now. thanks for reminding me of Worlds End, have heard good things of it too and need to make a visit.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Even more litter and rubbish then to add to the already filthy dirty litter riddled seafront!
Down their couple of weeks back...disgusting!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like most I will be disappointed that the Bison Pub is not happening. I come from a different angle as an investor. I invested not necessarily because I wanted another pub in the city, but to keep BK out. I am not anti BK & there is a place for them too, but not in this location. Unfortunately, I concur, Brighton as a City is on the decline. The Lanes & East St were the higher end of the City & now moving in the same direction as the rest.
Who to blame? In truth I would blame the voters. You get what you deserve

The city isn't on the decline. But, I do feel it has a lot of untapped potential. But it depends which direction people want the city to take.

The city isn't ont the decline. But, I do feel it has a lot of untapped potential. But it depends which direction people want the city to take.

I wish I could agree with you. I am a half glass full person not half empty & have lived in our city for all of my 50 years but:

Hove - used to have quality department stores, now has none;
George st is the place not to go;
West St is a mess;
London Rd is a dump. It always has been - but at least it used to have the Co-op;
The city has no 5 star hotel;
No top restaurant;
But plenty of budget accommodation & cheaper chained restaurants;
A Green MP that is anything but for our city;
Overpriced bus services;
Overpriced parking;
A seafront that is messy architecturally;
No proper communal recreational swimming facilities - King Alfred (joke) & Prince Regent dated;
Beggars & down & outs everywhere;
Dated Brighton Centre, Blackrock vacant all my life, no ice skating rinks, a mess of the West Pier - no vision for public centres;
..... & it will continue to slide until a Conservative Council & Conservative MPs are in situ (IMO) which I cannot see happening for many a year ..

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I wish I could agree with you. I am a half glass full person not half empty & have lived in our city for all of my 50 years but:

West St is a mess;
London Rd is a dump. It always has been - but at least it used to have the Co-op;
No top restaurant;
Overpriced bus services;
Overpriced parking;
No proper communal recreational swimming facilities - King Alfred (joke) & Prince Regent dated;
Dated Brighton Centre, Blackrock vacant all my life, no ice skating rinks, a mess of the West Pier - no vision for public centres;
..... & it will continue to slide until a Conservative Council & Conservative MPs are in situ (IMO) which I cannot see happening for many a year ..

True, but Brighton has always been a dump, "London by the sea", not a place to go for a day out with the family that much hasn't changed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

West St is a mess;
No top restaurant;
Overpriced bus services;
Overpriced parking;

.....and what do you like about Brighton and Hove? This is a genuine question.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

What big difference do you believe that would make?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton has 2 points that are good:
1. The Football team
2, Bangers Pie Shop in Baker St
the rest is pretty grot.especially the parking, beggars and sleeping roiughs in shop doorways, which nobody should have to do.

I don't disagree traffic and parking is a mess in Brighton. The city needs to seriously reduce the number of cars and add a tram system imho. It will never happen though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton has 2 points that are good:
1. The Football team
2, Bangers Pie Shop in Baker St
the rest is pretty grot.especially the parking, beggars and sleeping roiughs in shop doorways, which nobody should have to do.

Bardsleys is on Baker Street....there's a 3rd positive and we've not even moved on from one street.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't disagree traffic and parking is a mess in Brighton. The city needs to seriously reduce the number of cars and add a tram system imho. It will never happen though.
Shirley encouraging this sort of scheme makes more sense than a pie in the sky tram system.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...re-scheme-mobike-launches-in-rainy-manchester

Edinburgh was onto a winner with their tram:-

Construction began in June 2008, and after encountering delays it opened on 31 May 2014. The scheme had an initial estimated cost of £375 million in 2003, but by May 2008, when contracts were signed, the cost had risen to £521 million. The final cost after delays was £776 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here