Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bristol Zoo closes tomorrow after 186 years

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Zoos play important roles in the conservation and survival of many endangered species through their involvement in breeding programs.

I don't think they'll be going away any time soon.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
went to Bristol Zoo a few weeks ago. Definitely this is the correct decision - The Wild Place (the new Brisol zoo) is much larger and more appropriate now. I feel quite a few of he visitors (including us) were there for largely nostalgic reasons. Some interesting contributions on this thread. To me conservation and education should be the driving reasons for having zoos now.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Circuses have no real purpose other than to sell entertainment, often through cruel treatment of the animals - no one should think much about it being part of the past.

Zoos are different, they are very important these days when it comes to the conservation of threatened species etc. so if people stop going to the zoo they will probably recieve funding from elsewhere in the future.

I can't recall the last time a circus passed through my town that featured an animal act at all.

And as for revenue streams, Chessington World of Adventures worked that one out decades ago by introducing rides. This has enabled them to keep the zoo going and led to some very good enclosures being built - the new tiger enclosure is particularly good in the way it works with the new theming of the former Dragon River ride (now called Tiger Rock).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
careful-now-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've never been a huge fan of zoos, but we visited San Diego Zoo in July and it was very impressive....lots of conservation programs attached to it as well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Good thread.

As a third time father with a little one now I have to say I still think there is a place for it, but only done VERY well.

We visited Marwell last year and having not been for 10 plus years was shocked at some of the size of cages for the big cats for example. It just isn't right. But like other zoos Marwell is evolving that and as the animals die off they are not putting new ones in a cage. They have developed better areas and appear to be focusing on doing it the right way.

Not sure if its still the case bu Isle of Wight zoo is shocking. Lots of big cats in a very run down small cage set up (well it was ten years ago).

Drussillas feels small, but is only focused on small animals who arguably are okay with it?

Safari parks like Longleat and Woburn (I visited recently) feel much better but fundamentally the animals would be happier in the wild. Where it's rare animals that are part of a breeding programme to be re-introduced into the wild it certainly can be justified, but if it is just for our pleasure at the detriment of the animals I am uncomfortable with it.

Have also been to Seaworld in Florida and I felt very uncomfortable with some elements of it. Again though I think they are evolving to come to a point which is fairer for the animals, but educational. It will take time for all of these institutions to do it right though and many many close.

Bristol appears to be doing this evolution with a new site, which is great, because their current one was clearly not big enough.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Safari parks like Longleat and Woburn (I visited recently) feel much better but fundamentally the animals would be happier in the wild.

I'm not convinced that is necessarily true.

If I'm say an ANTELOPE, then I reckon I'd be way happier in a big, well designed space on a safari park, with room to run about, clean water and food on tap and a harem of little antelope cuties to sire, than I ever could be wandering the Serengeti, in search of a waterhole, and worrying about what was trying to kill and eat me.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Was there on Wednesday with my now gcse laden daughter and god daughter reliving their childhood recreating the old photos they found. Sad but moving location for good reasons.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Longleat is the only "zoo" in the Europe to have koalas. They started a breeding programme after the species became endangered after the horrific bushfires. They have now successfully bred at least one thriving baby. They have also successfully bred many other endangered species like cheetahs and pere david deer (once extinct in the wild) and the wonderful red panda..

ZSL and Chester are two other zoos that have breeding programmes for species brought to the brink of extinction by natural disaster but, more often, by human greed. Zoos are an absolute necessity.

I commend to all the excellent Animal Park on BBC (you have to overlook the fact that Ben "look at me, me, me" Fogle is one of the presenters though!)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’m a member of Chester Zoo and it’s great. Very conservation and education orientated.

I recommend it to anyone visiting the area. You need a whole day to see everything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can recommend the Big Cat Sanctuary, in Kent, which is only open to the public on specific days so the animals aren't disturbed by the populace every day. They are doing a great job breeding Snow Leopards, in particular, having their couple produce two litters of cubs, which have then been moved to other conservation parks.

I went to a Meet & Greet with Giles Clark three years ago. He was on BBC with Big Cats around the House, hand rearing a lovely black Jaguar called Maya. We were allowed in for just two hours, with a 30 minute talk on conservation, and 90 mins allowed to see the cats.

Last October, having saved up, we went for an overnight stay in the lodges. There are just 6, we had a tour of half the cats on the first day, and fed Kasanga, a male lion, with bits of chicken on long tongs.
The following morning we toured the other half of the sanctuary and could choose which animal we hand fed. I fed Neron a massive black Jaguar, who was very impressive, We had chicken legs which were placed between finger and thumb, standing sideways to the fence, and the cat took the meat very gently.
They are trained to do that so that any medication can be administered by vets. It was a humbling experience.

That's not me, but a photo I took, showing how we did it.

White tiger being hand fed with Ricky the keeper.jpg

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last time I saw a zoo was when I peaked through the curtain into economy class.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A sign of the times?

Like Circuses will they in time become a thing of the past, or do they still have a place in the modern world ?

As a parent, and now soon to be a Grandparent, I’ve enjoyed visiting zoos both in the UK and abroad, and I’m sure I’m not the only one on NSC.

I remember going to Bristol Zoo around 1991 and thinking it was more of a menagerie than a proper zoo, animals in barred enclosures reminiscent of photos from Victorian times. This move is well thought out and probably overdue.

Zoos definitely have a place. I spent a lot of time at London Zoo as a kid, marveling at all the different animals, which bred my passion and career as a conservationist. European and American Zoos on the whole do a wonderful job of merging animal welfare, conservation and inspiring young people and long may they continue

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Good thread.

As a third time father with a little one now I have to say I still think there is a place for it, but only done VERY well.

We visited Marwell last year and having not been for 10 plus years was shocked at some of the size of cages for the big cats for example. It just isn't right. But like other zoos Marwell is evolving that and as the animals die off they are not putting new ones in a cage. They have developed better areas and appear to be focusing on doing it the right way.

Not sure if its still the case bu Isle of Wight zoo is shocking. Lots of big cats in a very run down small cage set up (well it was ten years ago).

Drussillas feels small, but is only focused on small animals who arguably are okay with it?

Safari parks like Longleat and Woburn (I visited recently) feel much better but fundamentally the animals would be happier in the wild. Where it's rare animals that are part of a breeding programme to be re-introduced into the wild it certainly can be justified, but if it is just for our pleasure at the detriment of the animals I am uncomfortable with it.

Have also been to Seaworld in Florida and I felt very uncomfortable with some elements of it. Again though I think they are evolving to come to a point which is fairer for the animals, but educational. It will take time for all of these institutions to do it right though and many many close.

Bristol appears to be doing this evolution with a new site, which is great, because their current one was clearly not big enough.

We were there about the same time. Awful, awful, awful, I felt sick at the state of it, almost like those you've seen pictures of in Eastern Europe. Ever since, I've been wary about zoos, but can vouch for San Diego as very good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Have also been to Seaworld in Florida and I felt very uncomfortable with some elements of it.
Agreed. If you want to find an ethical aquatic zoo you have to jump through hoops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here