Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bristol Zoo closes tomorrow after 186 years

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I donate to the North Carolina Zoo and have done so for about ten years now. Also, donate when I can to an Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee. Both of these places do a great job in the conservation, education, research, etc on a variety of animals and I applaud them for this. Yes, I know a lot say that keeping animals in captivity and not letting them be in their natural habitats is cruel, but I don't think they really understand the great works that these people do for the animals as they do love and want the best for them.

Are their zoo's around the world just in it to make money and nothing else? Sure, unfortunately. But I think that is far, far from the norm.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
While not a zoo in the accepted sense, my grandchildren enjoy Tilgate Park Nature Centre, Crawley and entry prices don't involve taking out a mortgage.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
WPP is incredible already. It’s going to be such an improvement on the charming but seriously outdated current zoo site.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The last time I went to a zoo was the Detroit Zoo about 6 years ago with my daughter and the yank side of the family, even my daughter said, "I don't like this daddy, they all look so sad" and that in a nutshell explained how I felt walking around.

The same can be said for the Oceanografic in Valencia we went to several weeks ago, far to small for some of the sharks and belugas, left their feeling pretty empty to be honest.

I think that is me done for sea life centres and wildlife parks, until at least my next visit to Selhurst Park where I am always amazed by the large number of amoebas & Elephant Seals in one place.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Still remember like it was yesterday that me little kids, and everybody else's little kids, used to get taken to The Dolphinarium as a weekend treat. Birthday boy or girl could get towed around the tiny pool in a little boat by those beautiful trapped creatures. Seemed entirely normal at the time that you could then retire downstairs to a manky cafe that even Hove Dogs would be ashamed of, while peering into the gloom of that manky little pool. Seems pretty vile state of affairs now, yet many of us local parents were totally compliant and complicit in the crimes of the time - which continued right up into the early 90's :down:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not convinced that is necessarily true.

If I'm say an ANTELOPE, then I reckon I'd be way happier in a big, well designed space on a safari park, with room to run about, clean water and food on tap and a harem of little antelope cuties to sire, than I ever could be wandering the Serengeti, in search of a waterhole, and worrying about what was trying to kill and eat me.

It's arguable isn't it. If you were told you could live on a holiday resort and be fed and watered for the rest of your life but you'd never be allowed out of it EVER, would you be happier than you are now? It may sound attractive in the short term but I suspect you'd be mentally ill within six months to a year.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
The site in Clifton is worth a fortune. If they can use that money to continue conservation projects then great.
The current site as nostalgic as it is does represent a time when animal welfare wasn't the highest priority.
So win win really.

One day I'll tell you about a meeting I had up there with the Festival of Nature people. Sat outside, trying to impress whilst monkeys cavorted over the shoulder of the person who was hopefully going to give me a lucrative contract. Hardest interview ever !!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's arguable isn't it. If you were told you could live on a holiday resort and be fed and watered for the rest of your life but you'd never be allowed out of it EVER, would you be happier than you are now? It may sound attractive in the short term but I suspect you'd be mentally ill within six months to a year.

Fair question.

However, my choice is between a happy, comfortably mundane existence or the permanent stay at the luxury resort, with the free food, drinks and ladeez on demand.

The antelope's current existence is a tougher one, involving a constant search for food, water, shelter and mates, no health care, possible illness or injury, and the ever-present threat of being shot, eaten or both.

I think if my current lifestyle included a regular risk of being eaten, I'd probably take the comfort and safety of the luxury resort!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A sign of the times?

Like Circuses will they in time become a thing of the past, or do they still have a place in the modern world ?

As a parent, and now soon to be a Grandparent, I’ve enjoyed visiting zoos both in the UK and abroad, and I’m sure I’m not the only one on NSC.
It's horrible how things change for the worst, hoped my youngest grandchild would follow me in to the family Chimney Sweeping business...apparently she now has to wait until she is sixteen! disgusting, no wonder the country is in a state.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My daughter was keen to visit Central Park Zoo NYC this summer, but I did some research online and large mammals had relatively small enclosures. In addition there’s plenty of comment on the hubbub of Manhattan’s noise being stressful for the animals. Lots of reasoned criticism of the place available online.

I showed her and we ditched the plan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some quality anthropomorphizing on this thread.

No zoo in the UK contravenes best practice for animal husbandry today.

There are countless humans who totally lack empathy, and left to their own devices would be happy with a laptop, pizza and a tub of vasoline.

I have tried so hard to make a connection with my cat but he simply tarts about when he thinks there is food on offer, then ****s off after a shit. Only a food lure gets him in at night. I swear if I sit still for more than 5 minutes he's eyeing me up to decide which bit to eat first.

Nothing, absolutely nothing to see here. There are no dancing bears. Zoos are all about conservation these days :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here