Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City bid SIX MILLION POUNDS for Palace strker

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
You were talking about a player only being of value as a financial asset if someone buys him from you at more than his purchase price. That isn't the case.

No I agree and would not argue over finance issue's ( I don't know enough about the subject to do that) But surely I could say I have a 50k car which I purchased two years ago and say I have that as a book value, but in that time surely it has devalued and I am not going to get that money back unless someone is prepared to pay that sum, my asset has reduced, or am I missing something?

No I agree and would not argue over finance issue's ( I don't know enough about the subject to do that) But surely I could say I have a 50k car which I purchased two years ago and say I have that as a book value, but in that time surely it has devalued and I am not going to get that money back unless someone is prepared to pay that sum, my asset has reduced, or am I missing something?

Sure, your car has probably depreciated in value so you're unlikely to get back what you paid initially.

If you purchase the same in a business, and lets just assume that the expected useful working life of a motor vehicle is four years, then the company accounts for the next four years will show a charge (ie an expenditure item) of £12.5k/pa for the car. In this way the cost of this capital item is spread/paid for/accounted for (ie depreciated) over its useful working life.
It's the same at the Albion with motor vehicles and other items such as the Amex Stadium itself (cost: £104.5m) and the Lancing training ground (cost: £34m) although the annual depreciation rate for land & buildings is much lower (2%) than it is for motor vehicles (25%) due to the cost of land & buildings being depreciated over a 50 year period.
Hence you'll see a depreciation charge for the stadium of £2.09m in the current and next year's accounts when they're published in early 2016; there will also be a additional charge of £680k for Lancing giving a total for L&B of £2.77m. This figure goes under expenditure and thus contributes to the annual loss/profit account for the next 50 years!
The accounting of the legalised people trafficking in football known as player trading is very similar but for "useful working life" read "length of contract" and for "depreciation" read "amortisation".
Taking as an example this week's purchase of Hunemeier for, say, £1.8m. My understanding is that he signed a 3 year contract so there will be £600k's worth of amortisation attributable to his purchase in the club accounts for the next 3 years. Interestingly (perhaps) with CMS's departure having cost £2.5m with a 4 year contract then his amortisation charge (£625k/pa) has just disappeared from the accounts.
If you sell a player then the gross amount you receive goes straight into that year's accounts as income. However, if there's still amortisation to account for on his original purchase (eg if we sold Hunemeier for £2m at this time next year) then the remaining two years @ £600k would both be charged to expenditure at the same time, giving a net income for the financial year of £0.8m. Hope this helps.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sure, your car has probably depreciated in value so you're unlikely to get back what you paid initially.

If you purchase the same in a business, and lets just assume that the expected useful working life of a motor vehicle is four years, then the company accounts for the next four years will show a charge (ie an expenditure item) of £12.5k/pa for the car. In this way the cost of this capital item is spread/paid for/accounted for (ie depreciated) over its useful working life.
It's the same at the Albion with motor vehicles and other items such as the Amex Stadium itself (cost: £104.5m) and the Lancing training ground (cost: £34m) although the annual depreciation rate for land & buildings is much lower (2%) than it is for motor vehicles (25%) due to the cost of land & buildings being depreciated over a 50 year period.
Hence you'll see a depreciation charge for the stadium of £2.09m in the current and next year's accounts when they're published in early 2016; there will also be a additional charge of £680k for Lancing giving a total for L&B of £2.77m. This figure goes under expenditure and thus contributes to the annual loss/profit account for the next 50 years!
The accounting of the legalised people trafficking in football known as player trading is very similar but for "useful working life" read "length of contract" and for "depreciation" read "amortisation".
Taking as an example this week's purchase of Hunemeier for, say, £1.8m. My understanding is that he signed a 3 year contract so there will be £600k's worth of amortisation attributable to his purchase in the club accounts for the next 3 years. Interestingly (perhaps) with CMS's departure having cost £2.5m with a 4 year contract then his amortisation charge (£625k/pa) has just disappeared from the accounts.
If you sell a player then the gross amount you receive goes straight into that year's accounts as income. However, if there's still amortisation to account for on his original purchase (eg if we sold Hunemeier for £2m at this time next year) then the remaining two years @ £600k would both be charged to expenditure at the same time, giving a net income for the financial year of £0.8m. Hope this helps.

EFF me! 2 am and a bottle of wine trying to follow that is a real headfucc.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
So in summary :
He's a failed premier league striker ( despite scoring 15+ goals and gaining us some vital points which helped us stay up for 2 seasons ).
He's not a asset ( despite buying him for £4-5/£6m and reportedly selling for £8m + )
He will do a Scott Dobbie ( despite him asking supa al for a move so he could play regularly and not just sit there picking up a wage )
I think I've covered it all , feel free to bring up any other points :thumbsup:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So in summary :
He's a failed premier league striker ( despite scoring 15+ goals and gaining us some vital points which helped us stay up for 2 seasons ).
He's not a asset ( despite buying him for £4-5/£6m and reportedly selling for £8m + )
He will do a Scott Dobbie ( despite him asking supa al for a move so he could play regularly and not just sit there picking up a wage )

Oh and we'll love him here!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So in summary :

You had Scott Dobbie, as well as Stephen?

Carshaltonloyal

Jan 18, 2011
http://youtu.be/rc3E6VtUmiY
All talk of his goals against Liverpool , this one against villa was worth the transfer fee alone as it kick started our run to safety.Personally think he'll end up at qpr,with Austin part of the deal, meaning Murray may be off as well

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Well thanks Alex and I think I understand book value a little better now.
It will be interesting to see what sum they do in fact sell Gayle for, or even if Gayle is prepared to drop his salary and league status just to play football.
He might just do a Garvan and not agree to being sold and sit his contract out.

Well thanks Alex and I think I understand book value a little better now.
It will be interesting to see what sum they do in fact sell Gayle for, or even if Gayle is prepared to drop his salary and league status just to play football.
He might just do a Garvan and not agree to being sold and sit his contract out.

Can't say I'm in the slightest bit interested in what happens with any Palace player unless they show up on a match day at Village Way, Falmer.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So in summary :

Palace Troll

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Okay so Gayle told them to do one.
Now they've had an £8m bid for Andre Grey accepted by Brentford.
Good player but £8m?! ???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Okay so Gayle told them to do one.
Now they've had an £8m bid for Andre Grey accepted by Brentford.
Good player. Would love him playing in the stripes.
But £8m?! ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here