Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City away

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The away end at Bath City when Rovers played there wasn't 100 yards from the pitch, not sure they played there in the 70s either.
I'm sure he's thinking of Eastville.

Ah, yes. It would have been Eastville (or Ikea as it now is known). That doubled up as a dog track so there was indeed a long way from end tarrace to pitch - not sure about 100yds though.

Rovers have had a longer saga to get a stadium since leaving Eastville than us. It was Twerton at first then to the Memorial Ground. Sold the ground (so they thought) to Sainsburys keeping the funds for a ground just off the M32 near M4, as partnership with University of West of England. Sainsburys then welshed on the deal about three years ago when the new superstore concept became redundant. Cue lawyers (sound familiar?) and Rovers lost. Impasse until Jordanian bought the club earlier this year and has rekindled the deal with UWE.

Both Bristol clubs have struggled as we did with NIMBYism as the city also has little space for development. Housing costs here are probably on a par with Brighton and the city is one of the fastest growing in country. City were stitiched by a group of dog walkers who managed to get the pooches' toilet designated as a village green, Rovers were stitched by Sainsburys. All right in the end though. We shall see the completed Ashton Gate on Saturday, and Rovers may actually get their ground by the end fo the decade...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ah, yes. It would have been Eastville (or Ikea as it now is known). That doubled up as a dog track so there was indeed a long way from end tarrace to pitch - not sure about 100yds though.

Rovers have had a longer saga to get a stadium since leaving Eastville than us. It was Twerton at first then to the Memorial Ground. Sold the ground (so they thought) to Sainsburys keeping the funds for a ground just off the M32 near M4, as partnership with University of West of England. Sainsburys then welshed on the deal about three years ago when the new superstore concept became redundant. Cue lawyers (sound familiar?) and Rovers lost. Impasse until Jordanian bought the club earlier this year and has rekindled the deal with UWE.

Both Bristol clubs have struggled as we did with NIMBYism as the city also has little space for development. Housing costs here are probably on a par with Brighton and the city is one of the fastest growing in country. City were stitiched by a group of dog walkers who managed to get the pooches' toilet designated as a village green, Rovers were stitched by Sainsburys. All right in the end though. We shall see the completed Ashton Gate on Saturday, and Rovers may actually get their ground by the end fo the decade...

I do have a lot of sympathy for Rovers fans, I've watched a few YouTube videos of Eastville and read up on some of their history.
I went past IKEA on the bus last summer and did think it must be horrible for older Rovers fans to see that every day.

Definitely looking forward to Saturday and seeing the competed Ashton Gate, not as much as hoping to see another Albion win though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not quite right. There was an open end terrace for standing that was used for home and away fans. When first moved to Bristol saw City from there few times in their Div 1 days. It was nowhere near as far from pitch as Withdean.

A Rovers mate still goes on about the game he went to at Withdean when it was misty and they couldn't see the far end. Apparently Rovers scored and they started cheering only when the teams lined up for kick off.

I'm sure there was a similar game at Withdean against Leicester, it was so misty that the away fans didn't realise their team had scored until the players were running back celebrating. :)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The away end at Bath City when Rovers played there wasn't 100 yards from the pitch, not sure they played there in the 70s either.
I'm sure he's thinking of Eastville.
Yes.. Eastville was actually a dog track.... so it would be like Withdean in that sense... but it had proper terraces etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So I've dug a bit deeper to see where I was. Knowing it was around 1975 to 1979 when I went to nearly every home & away that eliminates City as we never played them. So yes, it was Eastville in 1977/78 or 1978/79. Most interesting thing I read was that BBC Brighton (as it was) only had goal by goal progress, not full match commentary.

So the bottom line is, it's not Bristol City and it's not their ground. Close but no cigar.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Does anyone remember the date of the away game at Bristol Rovers that was postponed? I remember being on the way there halfway between Brighton and Bristol when we found out.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Very much looking forward to this game! However, I bought 4 tickets all at once and theyve sent me seats 3 and 4, and 9 and 10... quite bizarre! So, I shall be standing where I want, coz I do what I want! ;)

One question, first time in Bristol, where will Brighton fans be heading to drink before the game?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So I've dug a bit deeper to see where I was. Knowing it was around 1975 to 1979 when I went to nearly every home & away that eliminates City as we never played them. So yes, it was Eastville in 1977/78 or 1978/79. Most interesting thing I read was that BBC Brighton (as it was) only had goal by goal progress, not full match commentary.

So the bottom line is, it's not Bristol City and it's not their ground. Close but no cigar.

We know it was Eastville, about 4 of us worked this out after you posted. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does anyone remember the date of the away game at Bristol Rovers that was postponed? I remember being on the way there halfway between Brighton and Bristol when we found out.

Relatively recent times? [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] may do as I think, by nothing other than coincidence, was working at Rovers that day.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Very much looking forward to this game! However, I bought 4 tickets all at once and theyve sent me seats 3 and 4, and 9 and 10... quite bizarre! So, I shall be standing where I want, coz I do what I want! ;)

One question, first time in Bristol, where will Brighton fans be heading to drink before the game?

I bought 3 seats at the same time and they are in different rows :facepalm:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Not in my seat :moo:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
That's helpful! Can't imagine anyone will stick their ticketed seats.

I am. 13324812.jpg

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Stupidly booked trains about 3 months ago without noticing the strike.

Going along The coast to change at Fratton then the direct train to Bristol - fine as we can get the slightly earlier train direct from Brighton which ISN'T Southern and they will let us use our tickets on that service.

Problem is, there is no way home the same route according to the planned timetable. From what I can understand on the Southern Website and from the phone call i had with them, I can't go via London/Underground, so I cannot physically get home without buying an entire new return ticket.... can that be right? Might try and chance the London route, if I explain there's no other possible route home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here