Bring Back Russell! His sacking is a disgrace

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

100% Agree. We treated the bloke like shit.

100% disagree!

The manager new from the outset that BHA to be playing in the championship within 2 years. No progress was being made on the pitch this season & the club does not want a relegation scrap this year. If Falmer was not being built then I would say give RS some more time, however this was not the case and the manager new his brief from outset. Right decision.

In 5 years time we will look back & think what was all the fuss about

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
And no I am not going to blaspheme and joke. Please read on as this thread is completely football related and orientated.

Slade should not have been sacked and i know it's a bit late in the day for this thread but I am absolutely gutted that Slade has gone and genuinely feel sorry for the bloke and the prospect of Grimsby docks on the horizon.

I feel we have jumped the gun a bit here and sacking any manager at any league club after 15 games in my mind is disgraceful. It's the part of football no fan want's to have to take... and that is losing and the time of the defeats have caused this sacking. Yes we weren't exactly setting league one alight but we were improving and Slade was building for a bright future. Young players have come in and have to be nurtured and we were never going to make it into the championship this season, it was to unrealistic.

We miraculously saved ourselves at the last day of the season so to expect a winning formula to occur after just 15 games is ludicrous. The ball was being played along the floor and albeit a a few hoofs here and there, especially from Adam "the beard" Virgo, are to be expected, even united hoof at times.

Slade DESERVED AT LEAST until Christmas to turn things around, but I exclaim turn what around? He saved this club from Morecambe and Burton Albion and are gratitude should have withstood the poor performances. Some players in turn have let Slade down, especially the defense, but injuries and red cards lead me to the conclusion Slade was not the problem and neither were the coaching staff, it was a case of poor individual errors and bad luck.

And eat Horse manure if you think Slade and some fans lack ambition, which is a point Uncle Speilberg raised the other day to my horror. Every fan would grab the chance to win every game for the next 100 years like a flash and no fan want's us to be "small Brighton", And again pile on the manure if you think Slade lacked ambition. Ambition kept us up and ambition was to then spend money on players, albeit Blooms, but Slade could have gone for the burnt out and dreadful free agents, he has instead bought in promising young talents who will shape a great future for the club and whoever get's the job of being progressively disliked and sacked by the fickle Withdean faithful.

Thanks Russell and I hope one day you prove what a great manager you could have been for this club.

No thanks, the Club needs better than him for where Tony Bloom is going to take up!

Time to get over it! :lolol:

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
15 games - undoubtedly not enough. So much improvement since last season (especially noticeable if you went to games!). If Russell had been told he would only get 15 games - I'm sure he'd have brought in a load of long term dross that may have performed better immediately but gone to seed shortly after.

Not happy - but prepared to move on. In some respects though, it does depend on the replacement.

Fans have the most ridiculous expectations and these ruin the club. I want to succeed but after last season (and the last 12) it was never going to change overnight. Success is built over time.

Lastly why do so many people fall into the trap of building up a manager from premier level - its like setting us up to fail right from the start when we can't appoint somebody at that level!!!

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Not happy - but prepared to move on. In some respects though, it does depend on the replacement.

Agreed, the sanity of Blooms decision will only truly become known when we find out who the replacement is . If we get Coppell , and the longer it goes on the less likely I think this is to happen , then great decision.

If , on the other hand we get Wise ... .Gregory ... or some other muppet then he has failed his first test .....

I understand the need for due dilligence , but I am disappointed that Bloom does not seem to have any firm plan ....unless he is giving pocket aces the poker face......?:smokin:

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
We havn't even managed a point a game.For F**K sake.The simple answer is the new manager,will be able to sort the priorities out and decided. what will be required for the Jan transfer window.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
We havn't even managed a point a game.For F**K sake.The simple answer is the new manager,will be able to sort the priorities out and decided. what will be required for the Jan transfer window.

You are making assumptions on the ability of the new manager . As I was trying to say only time will tell. Lets face it , it wouldn't be the first time we have taken a backwards managerial step (Wilkins to Adams ring a bell?).

phoenix

May 18, 2009
You are making assumptions on the ability of the new manager . As I was trying to say only time will tell. Lets face it , it wouldn't be the first time we have taken a backwards managerial step (Wilkins to Adams ring a bell?).

Not making any assumptions on new manager at all.Thought slade was good.Didn't want him to leave.Its just that Slade has gone,end off.Need to move on.

I don't think you can call it a disgrace but it was hasty.

The quality of football, particulalrly going forward, was often of a pretty high class and we were much more creative than in previous seasons.

Defensively and discipline wise, it was obvious there were issues.

However I personally think he should have been given more time and believe he would have turned it around and made us into a comfortable top 10 team this season and better next.

Whoever follows is actually going to be under more pressure and I have a funny feeling we may be in for a rough few weeks until the ship steadies.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In Slade's defence Micky Adams wrecked this squad and did about as much damage as a manager can do in 9 months.

kalinx

Jan 11, 2006
"Fickle Withdean faithful"?? 10 years in an open air athletics stadium at £23 a ticket - are you serious?

It's not too much to ask for an occasional home win, is it? The occasional bit of decent, well-planned football?

At the end of the day I can take the defeats and the disappointment, but what I CANNOT accept as I drive to Withdean and leave my wife to look after my 2 young kids alone for 4 hours is a lack of concentration and effort.

This side could have no complaints if no one turned up to watch them next time.

Completely agree, we pay way over the odds for the shite that is served up. What I cant put up with is the lack of commitment and challenge from the players. Only a handful look like they are actually trying, Fozzie is the epitomy of this, putting in 100% each time and hes almost double some of their ages. Where is the traditional schoolboy-esque passion gone

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Pavillionaire misses my point - its because we chop and change and have ridiculous expectations for such a short amount of time that we may not get the success he wants for his £24

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pavillionaire misses my point - its because we chop and change and have ridiculous expectations for such a short amount of time that we may not get the success he wants for his £24

If expecting something better than total ineptitude from League 1 defenders is a ridiculous expectation then I guess you can level that accusation at me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Just because Slade was a nice man and showed his bonce to the goons in H block on demand, doesn't mean he was up to the job.

He worked wonders last season, but he's failed to organise the defence, and hasn't got our midfield, Bennett aside, to do anything at all.

If you gave him until Christmas and he was still making a royal HASH of things then a new man wouldn't be able to address the squad before spending money in January.

As you say, thank him for leaving us with some good recruits - but don't say it's a "disgrace", because spending more money then any albion manager in decades and not getting any improvement out of the team just isn't good enough.
Correct.
For whatever reason,the players were not performing for the management team.Clearout of players at the end of last season....clearout of management /coaches now.It had to be done;Christmas may well have been too late.Imagine the shit that would have been flying in all directions if Bloom had done nothing and we picked up nil /very few points from the tough games coming up!Then what?We may still pick up very few points but at least the decision to change the entire management has been made and the new'team' will then be able to have a go with rather more time on their side.
I reckon Bloom thought,well we can't beat the ordinary teams,so what chance have we against the gooduns.I am almost certainly going to have to make big changes at some stage and the way we are,I might as wll do it now and give ourselves and the new manager more time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports