Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Barry Lloyd, say Bring back Barry Lloyd

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Was this debt not carried forward from the cup final and our days in Div 1 when we got relegated with players on high wages that continued at the same level and we were unable to service the debts so they got bigger
So people say but as I recall when we got relegated in 1983, we sold most and had sold quite a few at the end of previous seasons. Horton, Ward, Robinson, Grealish, Robinson, Smith, Gregory, Foster, Stevens, Lawrenson, Maybank, Smilie. All sold over a few seasons for more than they paid for them.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Most of what you say is correct, other than the Saunders sale, we were in a very difficult situation with the IR plus the debt as you say.

Oxford effectively played us, knowing we had to sell. £60k was paltry, but we didn't have much choice. Of course remembering we signed him on a free from Swansea.

Not quite true. Loydd could hardly big up saunders for a decent fee when he's gone on record saying Tiltman is a better player, this is managment and boardroom filure to command a decent price. Imagine if Leicester flogged Ulla on for £100 mill a few months later and Bloom used a tax bill as an excuse.

The Board Hired a non-league manager who only knew non-league so the team we ended up with that season was non-league. It took loydd 5 years to get to grips with it. Who were the first signings? Horscroft and tiltman etc, Sussex non-league.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Not quite true. Loydd could hardly big up saunders for a decent fee when he's gone on record saying Tiltman is a better player, this is managment and boardroom filure to command a decent price. Imagine if Leicester flogged Ulla on for £100 mill a few months later and Bloom used a tax bill as an excuse.

The Board Hired a non-league manager who only knew non-league so the team we ended up with that season was non-league. It took loydd 5 years to get to grips with it. Who were the first signings? Horscroft and tiltman etc, Sussex non-league.
5 years! Appointed Jan 87 with team on slide to 3rd. Took them up first season and in spring 1991 were in the Championship equivalent play off finals! It went wrong after that though granted, but be fair to the guy.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
5 years! Appointed Jan 87 with team on slide to 3rd. Took them up first season and in spring 1991 were in the Championship equivalent play off finals! It went wrong after that though granted, but be fair to the guy.

This is how I remember it!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
This is how I remember it!

MAybe youve got rose tinted glasses on. We were mid table, hardly "on the slide", well untill loydd came in that is. What we had then was a non-league manager already sniffing around the Sussex leagues for players,rather than lower divisions. Letting players go for peanuts and who had dreadful man-management skills.

In his favour he tried to play a style of football that would be popular if he had player talent, using wingers. This brought out the best in some journeyman players who acheived nothing before or after their stint at the Albion, ie Nelson and Small. this worked for one season when Nelson bagged about 30 goals.

His short comings where many though as were his dodgy signings. If you wish to remember him well thats your perogative, I just see a poor manager as a reflection of our incompetant board at the time. He has served the club loyally I will give him that and respect him for it but I dont rate him one bit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
MAybe youve got rose tinted glasses on. We were mid table, hardly "on the slide", well untill loydd came in that is. What we had then was a non-league manager already sniffing around the Sussex leagues for players,rather than lower divisions. Letting players go for peanuts and who had dreadful man-management skills.

In his favour he tried to play a style of football that would be popular if he had player talent, using wingers. This brought out the best in some journeyman players who acheived nothing before or after their stint at the Albion, ie Nelson and Small. this worked for one season when Nelson bagged about 30 goals.

His short comings where many though as were his dodgy signings. If you wish to remember him well thats your perogative, I just see a poor manager as a reflection of our incompetant board at the time. He has served the club loyally I will give him that and respect him for it but I dont rate him one bit.

I do feel you are distorting the facts ever so slightly. There can be no doubt Farrington was an awful signing. In terms of the local talent, he didn't have much choice due to the cash issues. Tilts in my mind gets unfair criticism on here, when he signed for us there were other clubs after him including Wimbledon. I think we tend to forget he was playing at the same level as we are currently, and by this time had scored one more goal than Baldock and O'Grady!

As soon as he was appointed that crowd called for him to be sacked, which, frankly, was ridiculous. The club was on the slide, there is no doubt in my mind, but as you say all about opinions.

Whilst I didn't enjoy the football, the majority of his signings I think were pretty good considering he had no money...... John Keeley I believe was one of his, Colin Pates on loan plus those mentioned earlier in the thread. In terms of man management skills you could not be more wrong, that was in fact a strength according to many of the team playing at the time . (I assume that was taken from Wikipedia, which of course anyone can write).

He may not be one of the greatest managers we've had, but in terms of nearly getting us to the top division, he should be respected for that achievement alone.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

OK then. They were doing GREAT in January 1987. They did not get promoted in 1988. Spring 1991 was 5 years later than 1987. He did NOT take them to the play off final in 1991. Happy now?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I recall Lloyd being a figure of hate for very many years. One season of defying the financial losses the club was suffering by reaching the play offs still never made him popular. He regularly appeared on telly interviews smiling and laughing after yet another home defeat. He was a cheap option for a club with no money. I agree he could spot a player though. Wasn't he also related to Ray Bloom in some way? In law maybe?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Albion were not doing great at the time of Mullery's sacking, but were doing well enough to be confident of avoiding relegation. Eight points clear of the drop area. A very decent achievement given the number of established players Mullery had to give free transfers to and the fact he only spent around £31,500:

Alan Mullery's league record
August 1986 - 3rd January 1987
P24 W7 D7 L10 F25 A29 - position: 15th

Barry Lloyd's league record
24 January 1987 - 9th May 1987
P18 W2 D5 L11 F12 A25 - position: 22nd

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Albion were not doing great at the time of Mullery's sacking, but were doing well enough to be confident of avoiding relegation. Eight points clear of the drop area. A very decent achievement given the number of established players Mullery had to give free transfers to and the fact he only spent around £31,500:

In your opinion..... I saw a team that was struggling.....

Incidentally I recall Lloyd was Mullery's Assistant at the time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In your opinion..... I saw a team that was struggling.....

Incidentally I recall Lloyd was Mullery's Assistant at the time.

The team were 'struggling' as far as winning more games than losing, but not as far as avoiding relegation. Mullery's appointment did not coincide with a rapid worsening of the playing record. Under Chris Cattlin, Brighton's last 24 league matches produced this record:
W9 D4 L11 F34 A36

Mullery's side was just three points short of this record, even though he had to show the door to Moseley, Jacobs, Mortimer, Pearce and O'Reilly. A very creditable managerial performance, and too good for the board who wanted Brighton to get relegated as it would help to reduce the wage bill further. That's why they sacked him on the erroneous charge of 'lacking commitment'.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I recall Lloyd being a figure of hate for very many years. One season of defying the financial losses the club was suffering by reaching the play offs still never made him popular. He regularly appeared on telly interviews smiling and laughing after yet another home defeat. He was a cheap option for a club with no money. I agree he could spot a player though. Wasn't he also related to Ray Bloom in some way? In law maybe?

This is how I remember it.
I didnt like the way the board sacked Cattlin, appointed Mullery to appease the fans, sacked Mullery at the first opportunity and replaced him with Lloyd, this appeared pre meditated.
Really irritated me when he stated things like, " wouldnt be a disaster if Brighton were relegated", he also suggested Brighton players should become part time, always delivered with a smirk.
My impression was he felt Brighton were a small club and he, being an ex Chelsea player, was doing us a favour being here.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is how I remember it.
I didnt like the way the board sacked Cattlin, appointed Mullery to appease the fans, sacked Mullery at the first opportunity and replaced him with Lloyd, this appeared pre meditated.
Really irritated me when he stated things like, " wouldnt be a disaster if Brighton were relegated", he also suggested Brighton players should become part time, always delivered with a smirk.
My impression was he felt Brighton were a small club and he, being an ex Chelsea player, was doing us a favour being here.

The reality of the situation was that in Division Three, the wage bill would be lower than in Division Two. The board also calculated that it was easier to have a winning team in the Third Division, and seeing a winning team could bring back supporters.

Mullery was appointed as he was one of the few managers that was popular enough with the fans to be able to deliver further cuts to the side pre-season while keeping the fans on board. The plan was always to bring Barry Lloyd in, with his knowledge of non-league football and ability to find cheaper players from there. Mullery was royally stitched up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here