Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Barry Lloyd, say Bring back Barry Lloyd

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We were safe when he got the job not floundering as was suggested in an earlier post

Yes, but he was brought into post with a remit to cut costs further, which continued the downward spiral that had already started. Remember Mullery had spent £30k on a midfielder from Rochdale (?Hughes) who had flopped.

People can highlight the facts regarding the relegation, but all of this was against a backdrop of cost cutting measures within the club. To have to sell Small and Byrne, having just missed out in the play-off final, must have been soul destroying. Don't forget the following season we ended up with Meade and Gall (who had a dodgy knee), whilst Small was scoring 20 plus goals in division 1.

Farrington is the only Lloyd signing I would taking exception with, and I wold take him over Obika, Paynter and Rodriguez.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
In fairness to Barry Lloyd he did build a couple of reasonable teams during his time here, He signed a few donkeys in his time as well but some of his signings were good. Gotsmanov, Byrne, Small, Beeney, Curbishley, Nelson to name a few.

edit...Not forgetting Nicky Bissett who was on he verge of a £400k move to Ipswich Town ( I think it was ) until he had his leg broken badly that ultimately went on to finish his career.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In fairness to Barry Lloyd he did build a couple of reasonable teams during his time here, He signed a few donkeys in his time as well but some of his signings were good. Gotsmanov, Byrne, Small, Beeney, Curbishley, Nelson to name a few.

Add to that Doug Rougvie, Bremner, Was Keith Dublin a Lloyd signing?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I can still hear the North Stand at Goldstone ringing in my ears...

Lloyd out....................Lloyd out................Lloyd out...(for about 15 mins solid).......

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He sold Dean Saunders and said Richard Tiltman was quicker and better player! I rest my case.no:nono:

It was a bad move but I'm not sure how much of that was down to him ( selling him that is ) but on the flip side bringing in Gostmanov was equivalent to Poyet bringing in Vicente.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He sold Dean Saunders and said Richard Tiltman was quicker and better player! I rest my case.no:nono:

He was told to sell Saunders. Tiltman was quicker, but definitely not better.

Incidentally Mullery or Cattlin (can't recall which), didn't sign Ian Wright. We also turned down Roy Keane. Bobby Robson released Gary Stevens....

No manager is going to get it right every time.....

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Of the 6 years Loydd was in charge the only entertaining football was in one season, the promotion season. All the rest was awful, including flukeing it into the play-offs.

The was continual hostility to BL every season, not so much because he dropped Saunders for Tiltman but because he flogged him to Oxford for peanuts who then sold him on a few months later for a Million.

The team Catlin built was stuffed with minor internationals, Eric Young and Danny wilson to name just 2, most went for Peanuts.

Also another Myth is the wage bill. nope it was the debt and the interest on it. Having a fire sale of players did nothing to improve things thats why we ended up with the likes or Archer and Bellotti.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No one is saying the wage bill was particularly high. But they had to cut it to make the debt more palatable.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
He was told to sell Saunders. Tiltman was quicker, but definitely not better.

Incidentally Mullery or Cattlin (can't recall which), didn't sign Ian Wright. We also turned down Roy Keane. Bobby Robson released Gary Stevens....

No manager is going to get it right every time.....
Stevens was one of a few they made a profit on before those profits evaporated.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of the 6 years Loydd was in charge the only entertaining football was in one season, the promotion season. All the rest was awful, including flukeing it into the play-offs.

The was continual hostility to BL every season, not so much because he dropped Saunders for Tiltman but because he flogged him to Oxford for peanuts who then sold him on a few months later for a Million.

The team Catlin built was stuffed with minor internationals, Eric Young and Danny wilson to name just 2, most went for Peanuts.

Also another Myth is the wage bill. nope it was the debt and the interest on it. Having a fire sale of players did nothing to improve things thats why we ended up with the likes or Archer and Bellotti.

Most of what you say is correct, other than the Saunders sale, we were in a very difficult situation with the IR plus the debt as you say.

Oxford effectively played us, knowing we had to sell. £60k was paltry, but we didn't have much choice. Of course remembering we signed him on a free from Swansea.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
But Ipswich didn't when they have him a 'free'. As you say we did ok with him.

My point was that all managers make errors of judgement.
Sure. I think it was Catlin who said Ian Wright was too small. I remember the Tiltman fiasco. Dean Saunders seemed to have either lost it or gone on strike and surprise surprise came back to form when sold to Derby. LLoyd would have known that Tiltman was a pacy winger/forward and a top goalscorer at Worthing, early 20s. Definitely worth a try. We're all wise in hindsight!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Was this debt not carried forward from the cup final and our days in Div 1 when we got relegated with players on high wages that continued at the same level and we were unable to service the debts so they got bigger

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here