Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brilliant stuff from David Cameron today

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
which in a civil case *is* justice. You can't sue someone to prison. And the ability for people to sue them won't change without a far more fundamental rewriting of law than the Tories are proposing.

No this isn't what he was suing for. He was suing for compensation against loss of sex life and inability to carry out his hobby of martial arts.

And that's the problem. It's not for you to say what should and shouldn't be considered. You are entitled to make your own value judgements, but if you expect them to be the basis of an entire country's laws then I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Instead, any case which is not explicitly excluded must be put through the system and at the end of it reviews can be undertaken and changes made if necessary. Yes it gives rise to cases like this (which by the way never even reached court) but I'd far rather have a system which starts lenient and can be reviewed than a system which is so stringent that the deserving cases which never pass through the gates are quietly forgotten forever more.

The claim never reached court because Tony Martin counter claimed and they settled out of court. If he hadn't counterclaimed this would have gone to court, which is ludicrous.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I didn't watch the conference but I imagine it went something like this...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The claim never reached court because Tony Martin counter claimed and they settled out of court. If he hadn't counterclaimed this would have gone to court, which is ludicrous.

Cracking example mate. Not only is it about 10 years old it didn't go to court. Is this the best "ludicrous" example you can find?

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
I didn't watch the conference but I imagine it went something like this...

Can you say that again please :lolol:

This isn't cut and replayed. This is Ed 'Dork' Milliband

This is almost unbelievable. The leader of the Labour party on BBC showing how deeply engrained are spin statements that he appears not to realise that he has repeated himself numerous times. He does it all the time. Such a gimp.

[yt]jlTggc0uBA8[/yt]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i am a what you would class now as a floating voter,dont mind admitting my vote has always been tory,i am torn whether or not to vote UKIP in the next election,If i voted today however Cameron would get my vote firstly because of the economy but more importantly he said he would scrap The Human Rights Act......absolute vote winner for me above many other issues......this crap law has been abused beyond belief......im astonished those on the left oppose scrapping this act and the replacing of it with the "newer version" of the British Bill Of Rights

You seem to think that all the things you don't like about the HRA will not in anyway be enshrined in any legilstation that replaces it. Furthermore, the European Convention on Human Rights is based on the civil liberties in our country. The HRA merely means people can seek recourse in a UK court rather than going to Strasbourg. I'm not sure but even if we rescinded the HRA and replaced it with one concocted by Cameron I suspect that people could still take disputes to the European Court of Human Rights once they have exhausted any domestic court remedies.

I agree, I just think, hopefully, that UKIP will do enough damage to force through a Labour majority.

I wouldn't be so sure - the SNP will take at least 20 seats off them in Scotland. That's a lot of ground to make up with a leader that just doesn't seem to connect with the people he needs to connect with.

A lot depends on how tactical the UKIP/Tory vote is. IMHO.

I assume you believe the SNP will take 20 seats of labour. If so, what makes you think that? The SNP only have 6 MPs against 40 for Labour. Those that voted for independence would do better to vote for Labour as that will mean they are less likely to be subject to conservative rule from Westminster, one of the reasons many gave for voting for independence. The point of the SNP, in respect of Westminster is, for the time being, redundant. The thing that might sway that is of course if Labour are seen to prevaricate over more devolved poweres.

I gave several examples. The issue here is that Fearon was not seeking justice, he was seeking compensation for being shot whilst burgling someone's house because the injuries sustained supposedly meant he was not able to go and burgle anyone else's house. He received 5000 in legal aid to pursue a quite preposterous claim that should not even have been considered.

Did he get £5,000 or was that actually paid to his legal team. As far as I'm aware, Legal Aid doesn't just give the claimant a cheque for a set amount. As for the claim, why was it preposterous. Neither you or I might like the fact but Martin was found to have used disproportionate force (hence his prison sentence).

Yes, common sense seemed to prevail when the case was dropped because of Martin's counter-claim. Doesn't that prove the system worked it out in the end! Also, what makes you think that Fearon wouldn't have the same right to claim under a British Human Rights Act?

I'm cutting and pasting examples because they're examples. Isn't that the way to quote examples. Would you prefer that I made them up?

To be honest you just cut and pasted one section of another article. Arguments always seem better when you make your case in your own words rather than just copy others! When the case of Fearon and the schoolboy arsonist are looked at in more detail it is clear the system works.

No, he was pursuing his calim under the Human Rights Act. He received legal aid to pursue the claim. Kids who break the law should be punished.

Where does it say he wasn't punished? The case was about him being refused an education. He was 13 when he did it. Are you saying 13 yr old kids should be hung drawn and quartered for making a mistake?

It might well have gone to court but that still doesn't mean he would have won!

No, he sued for loss of earnings. He was not a gigolo nor a professional martial arts exponent. A claim for injuries sustained whilst committing a criminal act should have been refused without spending any legal aid.

Are you Judge Jeffreys in disguise?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quite.

I don't believe his speech, but from a pure delivery point of view he made a very compelling argument for those who are unaware of these things.

Irrelevant at this stage I would suggest. Campaigning has only just started - and the economy has only just started to recover. After years of a Labour government the population sort of decided that they didn't want one in 2010 because of the economic situation which had got out of control. Traditionally, conservative voters don't really scream from the houses about it, including stating intentions in polls.

For the record - I have never voted Tory.

I would agree with you that the delivery of the speech was good but being able to deliver a good speech only serves to fool a few people. Look at the Scottish Independence debates. Salmond was a much better orator than Darling but when you look at his answers, there weren't any. He could cleverly disguise the fact that he didn't have a plan B for currency, he didn't know whether they would be in the Eu etc etc. A lot of it is pure show business. Cameron is full of it, Milliband isn't. Unfortunately, with the modern media world and instant soundbites, we are more likely to get more and more plastic politicians.

Look at the last election. After the global recession, Cameron should have walked it but he didn't. My view is that it was lost because Brown was a very poor leader (irrespective of whether or not he was very intelligent). Had Brown stood down before the election as I think he should have done, a new leader would have had a better chance. However, I doubt whether anyone would have risked their political career on the potential of losing an election.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I want a labour government out if our limited choices but as someone posted on here some time ago "Milliband has loser written all over him". Sad but true.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Millibland needs to grow a honking great Bin Laden beard and cover up that ridiculously small chin of his.

Dandyman

In London village.
right, so at about 140k houses being built a year, they have two years supply. Tesco are in the business of building supermarkets, not houses, and most of their land bank is on industrial/semi industrial sites. it really does come down to planning, we have created a massivly inflated price for land because we insist on not touching the green fields around towns and villages, which often werent even there 50 years ago when we had a more sensible approach to building.

i cant remember the exact numbers and it varies between regions, but the land cost is somthing like 25% of the property value (and bonker thousands % from farm land values). brown field site are cost far more. land is the single largest cost of a building. recall Prescott's noble effort in this area, to bulid a home for 60k? the industry duly obliged, because thats not alot less than what it cost them in labour and materials: he provided the land for free. we have created artificially expensive property and every political colour is scared of changing the situation because nimbyism unites the political spectrum. Labour promised to build 200k a year, a mere 30% more than current, when experts say we need an additional 200k, but no mention of how this would be facilitated. meanwhile the Tory's offer to subsidise the buyer, again not saying how the supply side will be addressed. it is a mess.

I think the number of completions last year was 109,000. Tend to agree it is a mess.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There is a piece in the news today about how one of the biggest cheers at the conference was when another 3bn of cuts to welfare and benefits was announced. ****ing disgusting way to react. There are some really nasty people about. So glad I have left the UK, really glad.

Fair enough. But this is the Tory Party Conference we're talking about.

Compared to some of the seriously barf-inducing antics served up to the stupid party's gathering over the years - hackneyed drivel from some twisted old nutter about bringing back hanging or the birch, a routine smearing of anyone daring to be unemployed, Portillo wanting to w*nk off the SAS, the list could go on - some selfish old morons' cheering of the fact that poor people will get hurt further by their policies isn't great of course, but relatively small beer, no?

Besides, just hope they one day get to expi

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Tax-free personal allowance to be raised from £10,500 to £12,500
40% rate raised from £41,900 to £50,000
Abolish zero-hour contracts
NHS budget protected

...and much, much more.

A veritable masterclass in how to deliver to an audience unlike forgetful Ed.

I hope Miliband has not paid a deposit for the removal men next year.

The big question is.... will there be any mugs that buy this? How can anyone believe that receiving a few quid in tax benefits makes up for losing thousands in cuts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here