Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's worst XI

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
John Piercy - Was he rubbish or was that just after his injury? i remember thinking how poor he was one game and then him announcing his retirement because of some stomach condition or something?

Joe Dolan? Came from Millwall on loan

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If Henderson could have avoided saving every shot by pushing it into the path of the on rushing striker to tap in the rebound then he would have been world class

Surely Graeme concede two goals a game Smith should be up there?

Henderson was terrible. Never forget Bournemouth away, never!

Graeme Smith conceded far more than 2 a game! He is definitely worthy of consideration, but for overall impact, I vote Henderson. He was a key part of the team relegated from the Championship and then the team which was struggling in League 1. King Michel came in and sorted it out, obviously, but Henderson was awful. But he could kick a ball reasonably well.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we really have had some shite
thank god none have graced the hallowed turf at the Amex..............................................or have they?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely Graeme concede two goals a game Smith should be up there?

Smith was poor but he was badly let down by a defence that appeared to be non-existent. He let in a lot of goals but I can't recall many keeper howlers (although I don't go to away games). However, it must also be said that his lack of confidence could well have had an effect on the defenders leading to their hesitancy.

I've always said the worst keeper I've seen at the Albion was Tony Burns. He always looked more interesting in preserving his hairstyle than saving goals

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Surprised to see Junior Lewis and Christer Warren.
Lewis was superb, and Warren actually looked half decent compared to what we had before he got injured in his second or third game.

Ashley Neal deserves to be captain though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I beg to differ on Mark Farrington. If Dan Tester sees fit to name him in his rogues gallery then I think I'm on safe ground! http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/the-good-the-bad-and-the/

But Farrington was playing two divisions higher than some of the dross that we had 20 years ago, you're not comparing like with like. And he scored some goals, which is more than MMJ, Holroyd, Dixon and company did.

I thought Tiltman was far worse than Farrington but even he would shine in the company of our 4th tier strikers

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But Farrington was playing two divisions higher than some of the dross that we had 20 years ago, you're not comparing like with like. And he scored some goals, which is more than MMJ, Holroyd, Dixon and company did.

I thought Tiltman was far worse than Farrington but even he would shine in the company of our 4th tier strikers

Holroyd started 6 times in league 1, Jonny Dixon started just 2 times in league 1, from what I can ascertain Farrington played 28 times for us between 91 and 94 and scored just 4 goals and that was in the third tier too so it is definitely like for like!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Surprised to see Junior Lewis and Christer Warren.
Lewis was superb, and Warren actually looked half decent compared to what we had before he got injured in his second or third game.

Ashley Neal deserves to be captain though.
Lewis was a decent player, and an important part of the team that won the 3rd division in 2002.

There are are number of names missing from the 97/98 team - our first season at Gillingham. I think that most conference teams would've torn that side a new one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Holroyd started 6 times in league 1, Jonny Dixon started just 2 times in league 1, from what I can ascertain Farrington played 28 times for us between 91 and 94 and scored just 4 goals and that was in the third tier too so it is definitely like for like!

He made 15 starts for us, 8 in the second tier and 7 in the third. He didn't actually score a goal in League 1 (or 2 as it was then called). He was also never fully fit for us and retired from league football after us.

I'm not claiming that he was some sort of forgotten hero - he was a useless lump for us - but he was more effective lump than some of the drivel that came later

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He made 15 starts for us, 8 in the second tier and 7 in the third. He didn't actually score a goal in League 1 (or 2 as it was then called). He was also never fully fit for us and retired from league football after us.

I'm not claiming that he was some sort of forgotten hero - he was a useless lump for us - but he was more effective lump than some of the drivel that came later

Fair enough, all I could find online was from Wiki(!) so I'll happily defer to your better info. What are your views on David Cameron (the footballer not the ham-faced incompetent PM)? I'd forgotten about him until someone mentioned him in this thread and he's definitely another worth debating.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Graeme Smith
Okiba
Hoyte

All three consistently poor to shockingly awful, in their particular roles, in every single game. I remember supporters sitting in the Withdean South Stand fuming with Hoyte's play and letting him know about it.

Incredible that Spuds held onto inept Obika until he was 24, when he possessed little talent and even less application.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Watch the game mate, his runs and his movement pull the defence apart leaving space for others to exploit. The fact he didn't shoot, let alone score, doesn't MATTER. You don't understand the game. :dunce:

Worst team;

Henderson
Hoyte Hawkins Carr Campbell
Carole Fraser Bennett McLeod
Hilton Mahoney-Johnson​

Carole was magic that first time, the second and third times he was pathetic. Fat Kevin McLeod deserves a mention, as does Darren Carr - utter donkey. Jamie Campbell at left back, awful player and Michael Mahoney-Johnson was a complete imposter. Signed on loan as a striker but ended up having a go at left back. I forget his first name but we had a guy in the second season at the Priestfield who played central midfield terribly, all season. His name was Bennett, but his first name escapes me. Atrocious turd of a player who was massively shown up by the QUALITY of Andy Arnott.
McLeod eh? There are at least two members on here (gentlemen) who got completely moist at the sponsors dinner some years ago whilst sitting with McLeod. One made me cringe when he asked Kev if he ate jelly babies during the match. As Kevo asked anyone that would listen if they could get him an FA Cup Final ticket. I think it all brewer up in his face;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here