Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The Brewery Tap, bleak!
The Font
Park View
The Nevil
And any pub with a lack of staff like the Bear last Saturday

Not sure if it's been mentioned already on this thread but the landlords for the last 6-7 years recently left the Bear, and it's been taken over by brewery-appointed management. I could see it going downhill quite rapidly as the other pubs in that immediate area aren't fantastic, but the Bear always managed a to keep a good mix of people (students, locals, football) and atmosphere.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure if it's been mentioned already on this thread but the landlords for the last 6-7 years recently left the Bear, and it's been taken over by brewery-appointed management. I could see it going downhill quite rapidly as the other pubs in that immediate area aren't fantastic, but the Bear always managed a to keep a good mix of people (students, locals, football) and atmosphere.

That's a shame: quite like The Bear, good mix of people there and some decent beer

You'd think with so many students around there, pubs would thrive but the Alex and Ship are long gone; the Newmarket and the Allen (Counting House, White Crow) have gone in the last year or so - don't students drink these days?

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011

Yeah - it was good until the recent change (3 staff min on the bar on match days etc). V slow now and the cheesy chips are not the same :ohmy:. Went to the Gladstone instead and that is a Godless place; stinks of bleach but no queue at the bar... Next bet is the Franklin but not keen; slim pickings round that way

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
That's a shame: quite like The Bear, good mix of people there and some decent beer

You'd think with so many students around there, pubs would thrive but the Alex and Ship are long gone; the Newmarket and the Allen (Counting House, White Crow) have gone in the last year or so - don't students drink these days?

Apparently not - when I was at uni in Aberystwyth 2003-7 you basically couldn't get into our student union on most nights of the week without a ticket bought days in advance. I recently heard that nowadays it is so empty they empty half as many staff and cancel a lot of entertainment as it is so dead.

I think it partly is the cost of living increase, I used to be able to get drunk for not much more than a tenner by knowing where to go and what to drink there, I reckon today that'd get me 4 pints max. Also, the late licenses mean students just go straight to clubs after drinking at home. When the clubs kicked out at 1-2am, you had to go to a few pubs beforehand or you'd only have been out a couple of hours.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Grenadier, Hangleton, what a hole, pregnant birds smoking fags and getting pissed up outside, little darlings screaming and running about, food is microwaved crap, no pool table anymore, dirty, filthy hole, at £2.20 for a Carlsberg takes ages to get a drink too.

Got to second and third this - absolute dive !

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
HAS to be the Franklin! Only pub I've ever been glad to get out of alive! Shame as it's at the bottom of my road.

Was gamefully reading through this entire thread to see whether this had been mentioned and you do it with your one and only post!

Think this quote from their facebook page sums things up nicely:

75 year old man is refused to be served at he franklin for pissing on the floor in the toilets every single day for the last three months and even when he is told about it still does it.

SECONDED

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
its quite depressing reading this as makes you realise that for a so called trendy big city we have far more complete dives than actual half decent pubs....I thought Brighton was bad, living in Hove now makes me realise that's not much better either! The Seafield and all of the George Street pubs really do take some beating for being beyond dire! Be interesting to see how the new rotisserie bar & grill where once the Tin Drum was on 2nd Avenue Hove turns out. Instinct and experience says once the initial few days novelty wears off it will just end up being the usual wannabee plastics spending all day at the bar and within weeks back to what it was pre-refit! Comes to something when only vaguely ok bar for a drink is a station pub like the one at Hove Station as beyond that I can't think of any vaguely decent one at all!

Trust me, try living in Leicester for a while and then go back to Brighton for the weekend. Every time I come home I spend the evening marveling at being able to find more than 3 pubs where I am not going to get my head kicked in. Brighton is amazing for pubs and drinking, it has just taken my exile to make me realise we are all spoilt for choice in Brighton and that the standard is just very high there.

Regarding my nomination, may I suggest the Pavilion Tavern (Pav Tav) from my student days. Haven't been there in years but it used to be a smoky, yeast filled hell hole with some of the worst toilets in the world. My other nomination would be Hectors House from the same time ago (10 years), horrendous shit hole.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Having worked for a very brief stint at the Wetherspoons on West Street and hating it with a vengeful passion, I will sixth/seventh/eight-th that one. Please don't hate me for having worked there, it was the only place I could find that would give me a summer job.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Thought it was the P.V (Princess Victoria)? Haven't been over the for a while now, but it was the jury's out previously so may have gone back to the previous name. It was definitely a lesbian pub when it was the PV.
It was the Thurlow a long time ago

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The Brewery Tap, bleak!
The Font
Park View
The Nevil

I used to properly LOVE the Park View when I lived in Herbert Road. Now it's full of ponces, ********s and bellends who charge you 15 notes for a cheese and pickle sandwich but it used to be a god local pub with a top group of regulars. Ah well. So much of Brighton has gone ****ing knobbish I suppose. Pity though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was gamefully reading through this entire thread to see whether this had been mentioned and you do it with your one and only post!

Think this quote from their facebook page sums things up nicely:

75 year old man is refused to be served at he franklin for pissing on the floor in the toilets every single day for the last three months and even when he is told about it still does it.

SECONDED

Many years ago I used to drink in the (now long demolished) pub opposite Fishersgate staton (The Gladstone). There was a bloke in there called Maurice who not only continually talked to himself, ending every sentence with he phrase 'danger mate', but also regularly pissed himself while standing at the bar.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I hate to disappoint Ernest, but the Cliftonville in George Street is horrible. An ex-Tesco store with no soul. Cheap beer only redeeming feature. At least other Wetherspoons like at the Marina are in decent surroundings.

I wouldn't recommend the Downs Hotel at Woodingdean, Saltdean Tavern or Spanish Lady as being beacons of a wonderful night out either.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Viewed half the pages and not seen it so propose my personal "favourite" - William IV. Ghastly place.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The Brewery Tap, bleak!
The Font
Park View
The Nevil
The Nevill at lunchtime is pretty nice. Garden, good pizzas, friendly staff / management. Ale not outstanding, but nowhere near the worst pub in B&H - unless it has a "Dusk til Dawn" style transformation in the evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here