Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pub 2015 anyone?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For the fun of it, and because I've drunk there once I think, I'm going to nominate

The Cyclist

Loses valuable points for me through unavailability of toilets. No excuse for that really. In fact, buried deep down in the licensing small print it's maybe even illegal. Rumour has it that if you ask the bar staff you'll be given a 'toilet token' aka a 20p piece. How many people are going to do that?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
I'll second the Black Dove for the fantastic range of bottled beer they stock. Had a great smoked IPA from De Dochter van de Korenaar in there, which I haven't found anywhere else.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I was thinking of resurrecting the World Cup this year, two years on from the original.

Last time it took place in November, but perhaps we could bring it forward a little.

Plenty of excellent new entrants since the last competition.

As has already been mentioned, the Brighton Beer Dispensary I would expect to do well considering it's AWESOME. Then there's the new Brewdog, the tarted up London Road pubs, several well run new offerings from Indigo and the station's very own "refreshment rooms" The Cyclist.

Much to play for

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
After recommendations on here, I have now visited the Brighton Beer Dispensary, and very pleasant it was too, with a couple of excellent IPAs.

It gave me a real feeling of deja vu, though. I used to go to that pub about twenty years ago, and have thought about the conservatory type extension out the back many times, wondering whether it was a false memory, wondering where it was.

And there it was, in all it's glory.

So my question is, what was the name of that pub in the old days?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Definitely nominate Brighton Beer Dispensary - good value and nice cask selection. I went to Craft Beer Company and was a bit disappointed, mostly keg with only a few cask (and all from one brewery).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Loses valuable points for me through unavailability of toilets. No excuse for that really. In fact, buried deep down in the licensing small print it's maybe even illegal. Rumour has it that if you ask the bar staff you'll be given a 'toilet token' aka a 20p piece. How many people are going to do that?

We went in before the Sevilla game and were told they will be getting toilets very shortly so hopefully they are being built as I type. I've always understood why not though. Big stations always charge for their loos so you can guarantee the second they have free ones in the pub every tight fist and street drinker in the vicinity is going to pop in for a McShit with Lies.

I'm going to second The Cyclist. And I'm probably going to get drunk in there on Tuesday.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was thinking of resurrecting the World Cup this year, two years on from the original.

Last time it took place in November, but perhaps we could bring it forward a little.

Plenty of excellent new entrants since the last competition.

As has already been mentioned, the Brighton Beer Dispensary I would expect to do well considering it's AWESOME. Then there's the new Brewdog, the tarted up London Road pubs, several well run new offerings from Indigo and the station's very own "refreshment rooms" The Cyclist.

Much to play for

Feel free to take this thread and use the 'data' how you want. I've done the prep work for you :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm a big fan of The Cyclist too and it's become something of a regular haunt after Saturday games and, often, before evening fixtures too.

The toilet thing does annoy me. It's only a matter of time before one of my drunken barrier hurdles, when I've run out of 20 pence pieces, sees me faceplant in a horrible way.

I don't think I've eaten in there, properly, but the menu always looks decent. I can vouch for the cheese though and it was very good.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We went in before the Sevilla game and were told they will be getting toilets very shortly so hopefully they are being built as I type. I've always understood why not though. Big stations always charge for their loos so you can guarantee the second they have free ones in the pub every tight fist and street drinker in the vicinity is going to pop in for a McShit with Lies.

That's good news, it's a very decent place to drink. And my son's g/f swears by the cakes and scones. Hopefully the tight fists and street drinkers won't be too much of a problem and will keep doing what they do at the moment i.e. turn the station toilet turnstile in the opposite direction and squeeze through for free.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's good news, it's a very decent place to drink. And my son's g/f swears by the cakes and scones. Hopefully the tight fists and street drinkers won't be too much of a problem and will keep doing what they do at the moment i.e. turn the station toilet turnstile in the opposite direction and squeeze through for free.

Aye.

We got hammered in there after Leeds last season. I popped out to the loos to find a chubby Leeds fan who was so drunk he was a) sans 20p and b) unable to work out the reverse the barriers / jump over trick (he was a little obese for that perhaps). He looked sad and his trackies were already starting to moisten. Perhaps I should have lent him the money but it was far too late and, anyway, he could have put his replica shirt to its best use ever by using it to mop up :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has Brewdog won yet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Has Brewdog won yet?

Even you do not really think the Brewdog pub is the best in Brighton, surely? I mean it is ok, but too expensive, and basically the same as all their other pubs. Is an identikit Brewdog pub really that different from an identikit Wetherspoons?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Brewdog is a nice bar but Brighton already has a better beer pub in the BBD, which also has a far better food offering than Brewdog.

In the year or so it has been open I've been in there more times than any other Brighton pub over the same period and if they carry on at this rate it will very quickly become my most frequented Brighton pub of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here