Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's Best Pub 2015 anyone?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Is like to nominate Dead Wax Social, it's def eligible. And also The Bottoms Rest.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks. You've saved me typing my favourite pubs out.

I'll remove The Westbourne and The Better Half as I don't know them. But, I'll add The Watchmakers in Hove as it's a nice little place which I want to well and I think you should all visit.

An old mate of mine who used to teach at a school in Hove opened The Watchmakers up. I am intending to visit it soon.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I nominate or second the following:-

The Evening Star
The Craft Beer
The Brighton Beer Dispensary
Brewdog
The Seven Stars
The Earth & Stars
Coopers Cask
Better Half
The Urchin
The Albert
The Basketmakers
The Westbourne
The Wick
The Hobgoblin

Love all of these (except for The Urchin, Better Half and The Brighton Beer Dispensary - and that's only because I haven't been!)

I would add The Temple, as you can't go wrong with good beer and Curry Leaf (it used to be such a dive), The Royal Sovereign,The Reservoir and The Southover (the last two both have great Thai food). I like the Indigo pubs.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Love all of these (except for The Urchin, Better Half and The Brighton Beer Dispensary - and that's only because I haven't been!)

I would add The Temple, as you can't go wrong with good beer and Curry Leaf (it used to be such a dive), The Royal Sovereign,The Reservoir and The Southover (the last two both have great Thai food). I like the Indigo pubs.

I'll second the Temple Bar, great for people watching, and nominate the Duke of Wellington - best place to watch sport in central Brighton and a decent choice of reasonably priced ales.

PG

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'll second the Temple Bar, great for people watching, and nominate the Duke of Wellington - best place to watch sport in central Brighton and a decent choice of reasonably priced ales.

PG

2nd the Wellie, last time I was in they were showing a Premier game, a FL game and the England cricket & if that wasn't enough a 4th telly is going in that will only be tuned to the rugger World Cup non stop. + they gave me a bottle of Champagne when we won back to back titles!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I couldn't get my list down to any less than 6:

The Cricketers Brighton
Hand in Hand Kemp Town
The North Laine Brighton
Bristol Bar Kemp Town
The Black Lion
The Hop Poles

I do like the new Dead Wax Social but doesn't really count as a pub but the vinyl theme works and good for a night out.

Blimey ! Haven't been there for many years and am amazed it's still going. Has it had a major revamp?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The BoT are delighted to win this for a second time.

And so they should be :)

For the fun of it, and because I've drunk there once I think, I'm going to nominate

The Cyclist

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not really expecting a seconder, but have to say for the record that the Crown & Anchor food is always good the service is always excellent and they've finally done away with that noisy so-so pianist who was driving away most of the punters because they couldn't hear themselves talk :wave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seconding Dead Wax Social if it hasn't been already

Dead Wax Social is an odd one. Great concept and fantastic space. When it wasn't busy it was great fun as folk were selecting vinyl and it was getting spun and strangers were chatting about the music and choices and stuff. Atmosphere changed when it got busy and it became just another busy, dare I say it towny, pub playing loud music. Shame.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An old mate of mine who used to teach at a school in Hove opened The Watchmakers up. I am intending to visit it soon.

Good luck to them. I like what they're doing.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I nominate The Bottom's Rest. Great little pub. A few nice ales, very nice staff, good layout, tucked behind Western Road towards the sea front, round the back of TOM theatre. Also seems to attract BHA fans, had many a good conversation in there with strangers just from wearing my Seagulls pin badge.
Yes, a good boozer.

Shush - don't tell everybody. It's a little oasis for me when forced to shop in town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here