Brighton's Best Manager

Brighton's Best Manager

• Mike Bailey - Highest ever league finish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The biggest shame was Cattlin not getting a bit longer. I think he more brain than the lot of them put together.

This,,,,Cattlin took over during the season after the cup final and the team he put together was amazing. Gary O'Reilly, Eric Young, Danny Wilson, Steve Penney, Dean Saunders, Frank Worthington, Dennis Mortimer,,,,just a handful of Cattlin signings. I can remember the outcry when he was sacked. We were strong at the back and exciting going forward. Great team to watch under Cattlin, no question he would have taken us back to the old 1st division......But from the list, I go for Micky Adams. Purely because of the circumstances and time of his reign.....Tempted to go with Mullery, but Adams just edges it because Mullery did have the funds and the backing that Adams could have only dreamed of.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember that, all very strange at the time. Although we all know there were strange powers at work in the boardroom.

I wonder what message Barry Lloyd was told upon his appointment in 1986. Subsequent events suggest it was along the lines of: "Come join us at the Albion as reserve team and youth coach. We can't give you the manager's job straight away because there would be a massive support outcry if we appointed you straight after booting out a popular figure such as Cattlin. But give it half a season, and the hot seat is yours. We need someone to clear out all the heavy earners at the club and only Mullery has the clout to do that dirty work without the fans turning against him.

Oh, and once we appoint you, we don't care how poor your results are and that it will lead to relegation. In fact, we welcome relegation as it will cut the wage bill. We just want you to flood the team with players that will play for low wages, as we are so much in debt. Follow this plan to the letter and we'll give you a three year contract and some money to buy the best the non-league scene has to offer."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Alan Mullery, absolutely no question.

I suspect that for some Albion faithful of my vintage, he's so much the absolutely definitive Brighton manager, hell, the definitive football manager full stop.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I went for Poyet as he turned us from league one relegation candidates to playoff contenders whilst playing some great football. Mullery gave us our best years but he had a very big budget compared to other teams and his football away from home was not the most exciting - different times with 2 points for a win.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The next manager.
The one after the present manager, whoever that might be.
Because he has lost the plot, and the fans, and the dressing room.
The one who will lead us to the promised land, if we can just get shot of the manager we have now.
Always the next one.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Alan Mullery, absolutely no question.

I suspect that for some Albion faithful of my vintage, he's so much the absolutely definitive Brighton manager, hell, the definitive football manager full stop.

My heart also says it has to be Alan Mullery but my head says Gus Poyet.

Different times, different problems - I'm not convinced Mullery would be as successful managing the modern day footballer as he was those of the late '70s.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My heart also says it has to be Alan Mullery but my head says Gus Poyet.

Different times, different problems - I'm not convinced Mullery would be as successful managing the modern day footballer as he was those of the late '70s.

Seems a bit unfair. Mullery could only manage the players in front of him. He could turn a game with a half-time team talk, which Gus has so far failed to do on a frequent basis.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Seems a bit unfair. Mullery could only manage the players in front of him. He could turn a game with a half-time team talk, which Gus has so far failed to do on a frequent basis.

Precisely. Gus was good, but was pretty much lost the moment we went a goal behind. What was it - 40 odd games failed to win from going a goal down? Quite frankly a dismal record, and says a lot about his management style - that stat has continued at Sunderland. In that sense, it appears he is a bottle job and lacking in alternative tactics, something you couldn't implicitly suggest of Mullery.

Also, Creaky suggests Mullery wouldn't work with modern day football, probably correct - but Gus wouldn't work well with 70s footballers. Entirely different contexts, you can't judge it on that. Besides, football is riddled with managers who have won promotion from the third tier but proved fruitless elsewhere.

Fair enough if you're factoring in both contexts, the players at their disposal, the investment they received, etc. you're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, Mullery was a better manager, regardless of the way Gus left our club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Struggling to decide between Mullery and Poyet. Strange to say the two games that had me most in open mouthed awe were the Peterborough and Charlton games away in the League 1 Championship season. I was in heaven for those two games. I know that these games pale into insignificance when compared to the draw in the FA Cup final, the win at Liverpool and the promotion game at Newcastle. However those Charlton games were where Gus' philosophy on football was an absolute joy to watch and I actually ENJOYED those games more than any others I've seen the Albion play as we ripped both those, pretty decent at the level, sides apart.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Mullers during his first spell by a country mile. I'd have a number of ties for 2nd place two of whom are not even on the list.

Chris Cattlin. Had us playing great football at the Goldstone - never been more disappointed to lose a manager showing that much promise.

Steve Gritt. Right man, right place, right time. A very brief shooting star without whom we wouldn't have the club we're lucky enough to support today.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
In a challenge to the, presumbably, youth oriented voting of the FL125 poll, what exactly is the view of NSC which hopefully will have a broader cross section of voters (or possibly not!).
. Why is the choice yours and not a general one. No Peter Taylor, Chris Cattlin, Peter Taylor or Mark McGhee or even Russell Slade. There's not even a choice for "any other". Infant school stuff.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers during his first spell by a country mile. I'd have a number of ties for 2nd place two of whom are not even on the list.

Chris Cattlin. Had us playing great football at the Goldstone - never been more disappointed to lose a manager showing that much promise.

Steve Gritt. Right man, right place, right time. A very brief shooting star without whom we wouldn't have the club we're lucky enough to support today.

I was more gutted to lose Cattlin than any other player or manager we have had. Brighton through and through, we haven't had any others as committed IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here